The East Fife Thread

Good workout tonight against Premier league opposition with EF probably edging the first half even allowing for the missed penalty from May. The Saints brought on all their youngsters in the second half including ex Fifer loanees Ferguson , Steven and Parker. Once Saints scored, the final result was imo known. That’s 2 games in a row that EF had given a good account of themselves up to the hour mark against higher quality opposition but not scored , hope that changes in the cup games. No Trouten,Page,Newton, Philip and the manager to be seen tonight. Ill ,injured or being spared for Saturday ?

Thought the new boys Doherty and Comerford ( and young Murray when he came on late) looked good while Easton caused a few palpitations with his softish passbacks to the keeper.

So the competitive action starts on Saturday. My team to face Queens Park :

--------------Fleming-------------

Murdoch----Page-----Easton----Newton

Nicol-------McManus---Walls----Healy

---------Austin------Shepherd---------

Edited by Beachcomber

4 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

I see you guys are doing a stream of the game on Saturday

Will that just be for “overseas” viewers or will it work for UK based? No idea what the rules are for streaming games these days 

We're allowed to live stream within the UK for the group stages of the League Cup provided the game isn't selected for live TV

Rode our luck  a bit at times but that's cup football.

Thought we stood off QP too much in 1st half, Paul seemed to push them a bit further up 2nd half and we were in their faces  more.

Docherty looked good 2nd half, thought Walls was  good but all players deserve praise!

Whats up with Greig ? On holiday  maybe ? 

A lot of positives to take from yesterday's game. Queen's Park absolutely created enough chances to win the game in the 90, particularly in the first half, but they didn't take their chances. And from our point of view, we won't face anyone with the attacking talent Queen's have in L2 this season. Page and Easton had a wobble or two in the first half but aside from that, looked impressive. We could even have nicked it in the 90 if we'd just let the ball bounce into the net instead of someone (couldn't see who from the highlights) prodding the ball in and getting flagged for offside.

Of the new signings, I thought Sean Docherty had a very impressive competitive debut, Brian Easton looks like the kind of experienced centre half we've been crying out for in recent times, and Gregor Nicol played very well, although it was definitely a game for the more defensive players to shine.

Don't want to read too much into one League Cup game but that's got to give everyone at the club a bit of confidence for the season ahead.

I'm quite excited about the season ahead.

But, and  I cannot stress this enough, we need to keep investing in the youth system. Arbroath and Montrose have done well in recent seasons but they have no youth system in place. They will be back down the divisions before too long. 

Keep bringing the kids through. 

6 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I'm quite excited about the season ahead.

But, and  I cannot stress this enough, we need to keep investing in the youth system. Arbroath and Montrose have done well in recent seasons but they have no youth system in place. They will be back down the divisions before too long. 

Keep bringing the kids through. 

Montrose have a youth system and have been bringing players through very recently.

As much as I wish I didn't have to compliment them too much, there's really not much they've got wrong pretty much since Petrie went there.

Edited by ScottishLoon

2 hours ago, ScottishLoon said:

Montrose have a youth system and have been bringing players through very recently.

As much as I wish I didn't have to compliment them too much, there's really not much they've got wrong pretty much since Petrie went there.

Fair play to them if they have, but I've not seen any evidence of Montrose players coming through the ranks. 

Watching Paul Thomson' s interview he hinted midfield would be freshened up tonight after Saturdays efforts.

I would guess at McManus in for Millar,  Philp for Trouten and Schiv for Nicol.

Murdoch was missing Saturday, maybe working or suspended. If available he might replace Docherty who was playing with a knock.

Hope Fash starts, heard a whisper he wasn't 100% fit  on Saturday.

Good win for the Fife but a far from dominant performance.

Elgin looked good in posession and we lost the midfield in the second half, couldn't begrudge them their goal. 

Both goalkeepers made some decent saves  but when Fash has the knack of being in the right place and we have Healy + Nicol setting him up, things look promising .

Next two games will be difficult, but not a bad four days for us

Not sure what to make of last night’s game. EF never seemed to get out of second gear, perhaps the opening goal came too early whilst ,in the first half, Elgin seemed content to launch long balls forward to no avail. Second half, Elgin came more into the game and deservedly scored but then it appeared that EF upped a gear into third with Fash scoring minutes shortly thereafter his third, but instead of moving up another gear, changed back down into second again.

Walls was very good, Trouten ruled the midfield, McManus at moments majestic and Fash is good at what Fash is good at ie scoring striker goals. In the main, a solid overall performance but we ain’t (yet) firing on all cilinders .