The East Fife Thread

Evening all. In the very fortunate position to be interviewing Dick Campbell himself next week for my podcast “Today Wheelenterview”. 

I’d love to get you all involved as much as possible, so are there any questions you would like me to put to the gaffer himself, or any issues you would like me to bring up? Very happy to share the finished article when it’s out. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t buzzing for it!

On 19/08/2023 at 09:23, Its not only a game said:

I see it’s being reported that Stirling Albion were  very unlucky to lose to a very good Aberdeen team last night.

We all enjoyed us , managed by Darren, beating the likes of Dundee Utd and Hearts a few seasons ago.

Stirling sit joint top of League 1 and we are joint bottom of league 2.

Said at the time, I'd doubt either side would finish up in these respective positions, didn't expect DY to take Stirling down all the same!

We did have some high moments with Darren shadowed by the relegation into league two, very similar experience that Stirling have; your right! 

hopefully there's news about season 24/25 apart from season tickets it's gone quiet amongst us....

Think Gaston might end up with you. Was happy to stay on at Arbroath I think but McIntyre definitely got someone lined up for the goals. I would have happily had him next year, little mistakes creeping into his game but overall a reliable experienced keeper and will be solid for somebody. 

Cannot see anyone else from us going to yourselves now, there is absolutely nobody you’d want from our released list either aside from Darren Lyon who was a solid but unspectacular pro that I really liked and had a lot of time for. 

Dicks (and the recruitment team we had to put in place to try and help Dick cause he’d made such a c**t of it) signings the last 2 year were dreadful. Will be interesting to see what he tries to do in the summer now all of his old guard and his go to guys are no longer available for one reason or another.

I notice Alloa fans not to keen to keep LD so that could be a shout, not sure Spartans will be wanting to keep Denholm about especially if they go up and not sure what the situation is with Hilson at Stirling. 

Pink had said at one point there were no part time players good enough for us, hence the hybrid approach, so I feel like they really took their eye off Leagues 1 and 2 over the last couple of seasons.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Think Gaston might end up with you. Was happy to stay on at Arbroath I think but McIntyre definitely got someone lined up for the goals. I would have happily had him next year, little mistakes creeping into his game but overall a reliable experienced keeper and will be solid for somebody. 

Cannot see anyone else from us going to yourselves now, there is absolutely nobody you’d want from our released list either aside from Darren Lyon who was a solid but unspectacular pro that I really liked and had a lot of time for. 

Dicks (and the recruitment team we had to put in place to try and help Dick cause he’d made such a c**t of it) signings the last 2 year were dreadful. Will be interesting to see what he tries to do in the summer now all of his old guard and his go to guys are no longer available for one reason or another.

I notice Alloa fans not to keen to keep LD so that could be a shout, not sure Spartans will be wanting to keep Denholm about especially if they go up and not sure what the situation is with Hilson at Stirling. 

Pink had said at one point there were no part time players good enough for us, hence the hybrid approach, so I feel like they really took their eye off Leagues 1 and 2 over the last couple of seasons.

I was told that Allan Fleming was going and we were linked to another goalkeeper from a  league 2 side but who knows, would certainly be delighted with Gaston.

Agree with you that he is unlikely to get any ex Arbroath players. Denholm actually went to Spartans from us as he stays close by,  not sure he's what we are looking for tbh. Luke Donnelly did cross my mind, he seems to be out of contract at Alloa.

I trust that Dick/Pink will improve on what we have had over the last 2 years, anything that moves us forward, don't think our fans are looking for miracles, we all know the financial restraints we operate under.

Edited by Beachcomber

13 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

Johnny Page is on this list so  that's one confirmed away.

https://pfascotland.co.uk/membership/availability-list/

No surprise if thats him left the club he was a bit of a surprise we brought him back mid way through last season, but legs were gone and was injured before season end there, its time to move on for all parties there.

As for the goalie I'm surprised the podcast panel wants Fleming to stay on is madness, one wanted him as a back up but Fleming is at age like Trouten and page where it's time to go in my view, he saved us I know in most games last season and season past but we need a new team and would be happy to see a goalie like Gaston to join us.

As for Danny DenHolm I would pass we had him and faded, I don't think he was a starter at Spartans in most games either so no. Luke Donnelly is a interesting one but and we all know the back up to fash isn't great and it was evidence there towards the end of the season.

Like beachcomber has said above I agree I trust this management team get it right and the right type of quality brought into East Fife unlike last season bar fash and Easton.

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Sadly for us, Hilson signed a 2 year deal in the summer, so I suspect he's going nowhere. I'm sure 99% of the Stirling support would be happy for you to take him off our hands though. 

10 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

Agree with you that he is unlikely to get any ex Arbroath players. Denholm actually went to Spartans from us as he stays close by,  not sure he's what we are looking for tbh. Luke Donnelly did cross my mind, he seems to be out of contract at Alloa.

Denholm actually went to Spartans from us, he was the only player of the League 2 winning squad that didn't re-sign in the summer. His social media message at the time was that he was finding it hard to commute from Edinburgh, so was looking for something within that area. You'll all have watched Spartans more than me this season, however going on last years performances, I would be surprised if he's a player that will stay in League 2 any longer than he has and I'd be surprised if he was of interest to the Campbell's.

Dick Campbell spoke highly of Paddy Martin,the Bonnyrigg Rose keeper,at a recent event.I think ,however,he is contracted to Bonnyrigg for next season.

Jonathan Page was an excellent player for EF but his time had come.

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Sadly for us, Hilson signed a 2 year deal in the summer, so I suspect he's going nowhere. I'm sure 99% of the Stirling support would be happy for you to take him off our hands though. 

Denholm actually went to Spartans from us, he was the only player of the League 2 winning squad that didn't re-sign in the summer. His social media message at the time was that he was finding it hard to commute from Edinburgh, so was looking for something within that area. You'll all have watched Spartans more than me this season, however going on last years performances, I would be surprised if he's a player that will stay in League 2 any longer than he has and I'd be surprised if he was of interest to the Campbell's.

Yes, apologies I forgot Denholm went to Stirling

On 13/05/2024 at 10:04, sammytroot said:

Jonathan Page was an excellent player for EF but his time had come.

Indeed he was then moved onto Airdrie, Clyde, EK then came back as an  surprised January signing under McDonald last season and was part of the team that got us to the play offs, this season partnering Easton he hasn't been his best season and time was up this season unfortunately. He was a excellent player but if he has moved on best for both parties I'm afraid.

Few rumours I see on here and other L2 team chats but nothing yet confirmed hopefully some news soon.

The Simpsons Waiting GIF

14 minutes ago, crawfordsbarmyarmy said:

When do we think we will have any news for next season??  Think they would announce big news to try get the early bird deals of and running 

Or even some big signings, we've just had a disappointment season where if we never changed the management team we was circling the drain never mind finishing 5th given Clyde reacted and escaped 10th...I was a season ticket last year and I'm holding this summer out to see who we bring in or bin! But you would of thought that unless we are waiting until the development team finishes their season and I know people will say players have the right to wages and income, family to provide for etc etc  but if you look at teams like Elgin, Peterhead, Clyde and Forfar they are planning for next season already I see so I'm still at a dunno until I renew mines but hopefully there's news you'd hope there is....

6 hours ago, Cambuslang Fifer said:

Or even some big signings, we've just had a disappointment season where if we never changed the management team we was circling the drain never mind finishing 5th given Clyde reacted and escaped 10th...I was a season ticket last year and I'm holding this summer out to see who we bring in or bin! But you would of thought that unless we are waiting until the development team finishes their season and I know people will say players have the right to wages and income, family to provide for etc etc  but if you look at teams like Elgin, Peterhead, Clyde and Forfar they are planning for next season already I see so I'm still at a dunno until I renew mines but hopefully there's news you'd hope there is....

You either trust the management team to do the best they can with the finances they have and early bird purchase would help this. Or you complain and moan on Pie & Bovril. 

I would agree, this season its vital the management  team get  all the available budget they  can plus the  May season ticket  deal is a no-brainer, excellent saving on the walk up price.

Can't see the club getting much early birds sold when's there zero mention of new signings. New manager or not, they need to understand the fans have been stung financially last 2 seasons. Pay day is 28th of the month for me and I won't be buying one if there isn't any signings announced. The very same for alot of the supporters around me. 

36 minutes ago, GoldenNuggets_YeeHaa said:

Can't see the club getting much early birds sold when's there zero mention of new signings. New manager or not, they need to understand the fans have been stung financially last 2 seasons. Pay day is 28th of the month for me and I won't be buying one if there isn't any signings announced. The very same for alot of the supporters around me. 

You’ll be signing a big centre half soon I’m sure.

On the season ticket - noticed how expensive it was the other night. What’s the script with that? Surely that is well above L2 average or maybe I’m just naive and Arbroaths is actually just low compared to the norm. 

26 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You’ll be signing a big centre half soon I’m sure.

On the season ticket - noticed how expensive it was the other night. What’s the script with that? Surely that is well above L2 average or maybe I’m just naive and Arbroaths is actually just low compared to the norm. 

Yeah the full price is very high and £18 walk up. We've had those prices for 2 previous seasons.

This year the £250 isn't a bad deal but still high for League 1 & 2.

The majority shareholder hasn't put a penny into the club going on 20 years, hopefully that will change soon.