The East Fife Thread

1 hour ago, fatdoug1938 said:

Tonight has reaffirmed that my love for EF is at an all time low. Worrying.

Club going nowhere and crowds dwindling. Scotland played pretty well tho!

Better watch yerself Doug. Folk will be checking to see if you're for real:whistle

Better watch yerself Doug. Folk will be checking to see if you're for real:whistle

That's true! Look I've got a lot of time for the majority of guys involved in the club and really appreciate the hard work that they put in but really, it's just all getting a bit tedious. Scottish Football issue I know but far too expensive to watch utter guff most weeks and our inability to even give those feckers along the road much of a game yet again is just depressing. Makes sense to lie down to Ayr on Saturday to guarantee 2 full houses at Bayview next season. You can point to plastic pitches and nice highlights but really who cares when we've had yet another pointless season in our recent turgid history

3 minutes ago, fatdoug1938 said:

That's true! Look I've got a lot of time for the majority of guys involved in the club and really appreciate the hard work that they put in but really, it's just all getting a bit tedious. Scottish Football issue I know but far too expensive to watch utter guff most weeks and our inability to even give those feckers along the road much of a game yet again is just depressing. Makes sense to lie down to Ayr on Saturday to guarantee 2 full houses at Bayview next season. You can point to plastic pitches and nice highlights but really who cares when we've had yet another pointless season in our recent turgid history

Absolutely. I'm not denying their loyalty and dedication.  What boils my piss is they question your authenticity for expressing opinion.

I stick by what I said and Young is a liability.

Where do Eazt Fife fans actually expect their team to be? From an outsider, sitting comfortably mid table in this league with two full time sides should be acceptable enough for a club of your size?

I understand that underperforming against us isn't great, but we are a club with about three times the support and as average as we are id imagine our resources etc are far bigger. Not necessarily failure in itself.

I don't see Cowdenbeath as being a great deal smaller than East Fife but East Fife are an incredibly well run club in comparison.

49 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Where do Eazt Fife fans actually expect their team to be? From an outsider, sitting comfortably mid table in this league with two full time sides should be acceptable enough for a club of your size?

I understand that underperforming against us isn't great, but we are a club with about three times the support and as average as we are id imagine our resources etc are far bigger. Not necessarily failure in itself.

I don't see Cowdenbeath as being a great deal smaller than East Fife but East Fife are an incredibly well run club in comparison.

For me it's less to do with our position and more to do with our manager. It feels obvious to see that, if we finish 6th or 7th or whatever this season that's fine, but I have no confidence in Young to improve upon that next year and have every confidence we'll do worse. All the faults our team has had this season he seems incapable of fixing, there's no progress and nothing looks like it's changing. Also, as an aside, I've never felt comfortable with a club "accepting their level". I'm sure if Raith went up next season and were on the verge of the playoffs but had a manager that wasn't quite up to it, your fans would complain and wouldn't be keen to accept the calls of "you're a championship club and always have been".

Nobody would ever doubt that we're well run, the guys that post on here like Liam and Angus are testament to that and they've been part of what was a remarkable fix after the Lee Murray nonsense. I've said before though, and Stevo has mentioned above, I don't think those that are more involved in the club than we are like it when fans criticise what's happening either on or off the park, and they then start calling them out for it and taking it personally for whatever reason. I don't like that. Don't get me wrong, we have one of the moaniest supports ever (on here and in real life) but we also have one of the most polarised. Those that complain endlessly about everything that happens at the club, and those that will not accept even the slightest criticism.

Makes sense, we were under a similar position under Grant Murray.

Having also seen the horror show that was last season, I guess we have learned that  there can be far worse things than plodding along at your level.

I found it interesting reading what people think is a good season for us/ where our club "should" finish. i would love us to be pushing up into the playoffs/promotion but what would that actually do for the club? you only have to look at Brechin, and our own misery in the league above to know that we wouldnt cope week in week out against a largely full time opposition, so what would promotion to the championship bring? would crowds that complain about the team inconsistency in league 1, still pay their hard earned to watch us get pumped in the championship? respectable mid table this season is not the disaster some would suggest, especially since, IMO, the length of time to get Young in at the start of the season will have hindered his ability to sign players. Decent calibre P/T players are snapped up quick, and from the amount of short term loan signings we have seen this year you can tell we were scrambling. We are safe for this season, Young has plenty time to assess and approach players for next year. For me i would give him another year to get it right. 

FWIW i dont disagree with those who dont see the value in the paying the gate costs for lower league football. Its a labour of love you can easily fall out of. For me that issue is scottish football wide re cost, league structure, impact on competitiveness etc... but we could be here all day.

Darren Young only got the job in June by which time a lot of players had signed and the playing budget was down to buttons when he came into post.He inherited players that probably he would never have signed. You need to cut the guy a bit slack and allow him the full season with the full playing budget at his disposal.A lot of the more experienced players in the squad have had a lot of opportunities to show what they can do, but for some reason or another this season they have been a big let down. Darren will have big decisions to make in the next 4 weeks as he decides who to keep and let go,from memory I think only pagey signed up for next season. The problem all season has been the lack of a goal threat, we just do not have any cutting edge, and god knows how many fixtures we have drew a blank . Add in the avoidable goals we concede and it’s not a great receipe for footballing success. I would say finishing mid table is a success considering how everything was cobbled together preseason.  I know a lot of our regular fans are staying away as it’s not pretty to watch but I honestly don’t think Darren Young has done all that bad considering the predicament he inherited in June. I think he deserves the chance to have another crack next season.

I tend to agree with fifer67.

East Fife are a well run club whose current Board Of Directors have rescued the club from the Murray years. As fans , we know or think we know , better than either the BoD or the manager.

The BoD appointed Darren Young on a 2 year deal-rightly or wrongly-whilst from his point of view , he had no say in the squad members he had inherited from the Barry Smith era .Albion Rovers fans have indicated that although Darren Young was manager when they gained promotion, in their opinion a great deal of the plaudits should have gone to Billy Stark who was able to give advice to Young. He has certainly not had an experienced number 2 this season.  Although some fans think he is a "dud"-he may well turnout to be- I do think he deserves a second season.

The BoD have certainly backed him player wise, with there currently being 23 players on board- some out on loan , some on loan.

His main failures this season in my opinion has been 1. the failure to sign a second striker to partner Chris Duggan and 2.the way he set up the team in the first home meeting with Raith.

The whole team was pathetic that Saturday and no doubt caused scores of potential fans to stay away from future games.

I remember Gary Naysmith stating that he preferred a smaller quality squad. This might be the way forward for next season.

The biggest problem facing the BOD is how to encourage younger supporters and their parents to become  EF supporters in the immediate future. I remember asking that question of a current Board member a few years ago. The Answer? " They ken whaur we are!!

The biggest hurdle that is holding the club back is the main shareholder Neil Rankine. He has a majority shareholding , has no interest in EF, and contributes Zilch to the running costs EF.

Finally I think that Pagey, Kane, Linton, Smith, and Slattery have signed up for next season.

Could honestly see the gate being below 400 every week next season. There’s no way I am renewing either my ticket or the family spare. Shocking product on a poor pitch, poor management. At a seriously inflated price. Not been to bayview since early January. And probably won’t be back after 25 years.

Poor pitch you are having a feckin laugh! Hamilton Accies were thru to see the pitch last week & having visited most senior synthetic surfaces in UK & Roi said that ours is the best they have seen!
Yes there have been some poor displays (today wasn't one of them!) but the pitch is superb! Even before today's game Ayr were saying how good it is