The Universe

But what's going to happen first, the galaxy collision, or the sun dying and becoming a red giant and crossing our planetary orbit and killing us all?

The rise of the machines will wipe us out. The day we create Super-Intelligent Computer capable of learning is the end

But what's going to happen first, the galaxy collision, or the sun dying and becoming a red giant and crossing our planetary orbit and killing us all?

Going by current theory the Earth will not be habitable (as we know it) within the next 1-2 billion years due to the Sun's expansion, however I have a feeling that the discoveries we make in the next couple of decades will either lengthen or shorten that lifespan.

The rise of the machines will wipe us out. The day we create Super-Intelligent Computer capable of learning is the end

You realise this has already started.

Microsoft bought Skype, giving us... TVSWpez.jpg

One of my favourite things about living in the middle of nowhere over here is the lack of light pollution and the views you can get on a clear night.

I try not to think of the scale of it all mind you. I think it could easily drive you crazy.

One of my favourite things about living in the middle of nowhere over here is the lack of light pollution and the views you can get on a clear night. I try not to think of the scale of it all mind you. I think it could easily drive you crazy.

As a youngster, dwelling on the scale of the universe and my insignificance amongst it all used to give me great anxiety and send me into a short panic until I could distract myself. As an adult, I find it occasionally comforting when things get on top to stop and think that it doesn't really matter anyway.

As a youngster, dwelling on the scale of the universe and my insignificance amongst it all used to give me great anxiety and send me into a short panic until I could distract myself. As an adult, I find it occasionally comforting when things get on top to stop and think that it doesn't really matter anyway.

Let's be honest here Pete, you are considerably insignificant... :P

I loved the Universe.... it really was a cracking night club. Coatbridges best selling point at one time. It too had a lot of empty spaces and big holes, usually between the ears and legs of the young ladies who frequented.

It even had that Ewan McLeod DJing, aah the glory years.... £1 a pint a 50p a vodka...

Edited by wellboy1991

I totally remember feeling like that. It scared the shit out of me at the time, kind of taking my breath away.

I also love the quote on the YouTube page (from the clip on the first page of this thread):

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

Arthur C. Clarke

Do you think it's possible that beyond the visible Universe lies a ring of Dark Matter that's drawing the entire Universe towards it, slowly consuming parts of the Universe until ultimately only this Dark Matter remains?

Sounds like a Sevconian plan to me. :rolleyes: