The Universe

See what I mean?

Dear dear Ric. I could trawl through your history and highlight some mistakes. Like remember that time when you said if someone has to state something then it's probably not true. Then two posts later, you told us all about the beautiful girlfriends you've had?

But I'd prefer to just concentrate on some fun facts regarding the Universe and enjoy the scary size and ferocity of it.

Yes, there will be mistakes in some of my postings. I don't claim to be a world expert, nor do I have a degree on the subject. What I am is fascinated by the Universe we live in. I therefore humbly apologise that there will be the occasional glaring error in some of my postings, however, 99% of what I post is fact and, most importantly, interesting.

Yes, there will be mistakes in some of my postings. I don't claim to be a world expert, nor do I have a degree on the subject.

Yet you answer my post correcting you with this...

My answer is not incorrect, no matter how you spin it Richard. And how dare you red dot my friend, you catastrophic c**t! Yes, thats right, name calling!!!

Yes. Yes, I do.

:)

So despite you not giving the correct answer for the question given, you are happy to claim it is the right answer and then go on a little tirade just because someone had the audacity to correct you? You don't think that is maybe over reacting a little?

Edit: Seriously, why are you so enraged with me saying it? If others had corrected you, you'd have said nothing, yet because it's me you have to act all drama queen. This is an honest question, as it seems to have been going on for days now, and you seem happy to throw out random insults hand over fist to someone you've never met and know nothing about. It just seems really bizarre behaviour.

Edit (2): I see you've edited your last post. The simple fact is Cowboy asked you a question, the answer you gave was simply not correct in the context, I can happily give you a full page of mathematics and articles to back that up. The universe has not been expanding at an exponential rate, the maths simply do not back that up. Trying to claim that it's pedantic to correct people is just nonsense. If I had said the moon was made of green cheese and you corrected that, would it be pedantism or simply providing the correct answer?

Edited by Ric

Since your only input on this thread seems to now be correcting my inaccuracies, Ric, I'll leave you to your wee hobby and I'll keep the thread for it's intended use. Fun universe shit.

How about, forummers, galactic precipitation?

On the extrasolar planet OGLE-TR-56b it rains liquid iron. Titan has methane rain, whilst on Venus the rain is sulfuric acid and some Jovian like extrasolar planets have liquid neon rain.

More to come!

Edited by Confidemus

Anyhoo, friends, more bank holiday fun facts!

The moon is moving away from us. Each year scientists have determined that the moon moves about 3.8 cm further from the Earth. As a result, Earth’s spin has slowed by about .002 seconds every day over the course of the last century.

About 0.02 seconds a day over 36,525 days?

That's about 730 seconds or just over 12 minutes

Are you sure about that?

I'm prefectly willing to believe that the length of the terrestrial day hasn't remained constant but to gain a whole 12 minutes over a century seems barely credible

Or have I misread the whole thing

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Ric isnt bothered at all. Nope. No way.

I think "exasperated" is the word you are looking for. Blankly refusing to discuss a topic because they have been corrected on it then throwing a hissy fit doesn't seem entirely normal.

Since your only input on this thread seems to now be correcting my inaccuracies...

Perhaps, then, you simply shouldn't post about stuff you know nothing about while copying and pasting from other sites pretending you do. Either that or accept when you've been corrected with grace rather than floods of tears.

Monkey's with typewriters, is the phrase I think most apt here.

Are you sure about that?

Careful, TC, that seems to be a dangerous road you are on there... ;)

Edited by Ric

The levels of tedium I'm currently experiencing after reading the last couple of pages could only be described in astronomical terms, I reckon.

Could we get back to interesting facts about the Universe, please? Either that or red-dotting Kilt.

About 0.02 seconds a day over 36,525 days?

That's about 730 seconds or just over 12 minutes

Are you sure about that?

I'm prefectly willing to believe that the length of the terrestrial day hasn't remained constant but to gain a whole 12 minutes over a century seems barely credible

Or have I misread the whole thing

U have missed oot a zero my friend

edit I liked how you showed your workings so although you came up with wrong answer I will give you half marks.........(thats how it works these days is it not?)

Edited by Boomtown Boy

I would love to know more about the nearest solar system please?

Alpha Centauri is the nearest solar system. It is binary scar system.

The system also contains at least one planet, the Earth-sized Alpha Centauri Bb, which is the closest known exoplanet to Earth. They are 1.34 parsecs or 4.37 light years from the Sun.

Alpha Centauri is the nearest solar system. It is binary scar system.

The system also contains at least one planet, the Earth-sized Alpha Centauri Bb, which is the closest known exoplanet to Earth. They are 1.34 parsecs or 4.37 light years from the Sun.

Alpha Centuari isn't a binary system, it's a tertiary system, of the three stars Proxima is the closest to us, and used to be considered a system in it's own right.

Brilliant thread I absolutely love stuff like this. it genuinley irritates me that a lot of people arent interested in the slightest, and would rather sit there and watch the only way is essex or some other pish. It's just mind blowing when you think about the universe there's just so many possibilities. everytime you ask yourself a question it leads to another one :lol:

Far more money should be given towards all things space related. fucking pisses me off that governments would rather build weapons and spend money on pointless wars than explore space.

Far more money should be given towards all things space related. fucking pisses me off that governments would rather build weapons and spend money on pointless wars than explore space.

I fully expect to be roundly slated for this, but I'd rather see resources used to eradicate poverty rather than for space exploration - I agree about the wars and weapons, though.

The British Defence budget (and this is specifically on military spending) is ~£33 billion (the total defence budget is about ~£42 billion).

British spending on space exploration? £10m some 0.03%.

The British Defence budget (and this is specifically on military spending) is ~£33 billion (the total defence budget is about ~£42 billion).

British spending on space exploration? £10m some 0.03%.

I know that spending on space exploration is relatively (and surprisingly) low.

I'd rather see us fix the problems on this planet before exploring the universe, though - like I said, I don't expect that many people will agree.

I probably wouldn't object to £10m being spent on space exploration if the 'defence' budget wasn't quite so, er, astronomical.