The Universe

While people may laugh at that comment, but I genuinely think you are right. Again it's a contextual thing, we think the Universe is big and all our results show it to be fucking big, but I feel that there is going to be a trick in the tail which will affect how we interpret those results.

Interesting. Care to expand on this Ric?

I can't see how the Universe will ever be proved to be any size other than fucking mind blowingly, incomprehensibly gargantuan.

The universe is not as big as people think.

There are physicists who agree. They see endless repetition, a bit like looking at a mirror with another behind you. There isn't enough variation to justify the idea of a huge universe. You get to Alpha Centauri and the vista goes into replay mode.

There are physicists who agree. They see endless repetition, a bit like looking at a mirror with another behind you. There isn't enough variation to justify the idea of a huge universe. You get to Alpha Centauri and the vista goes into replay mode.

I would say the vast vast majority of physicists would disagree with that particular model.

The universe is not as big as people think.

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I wasn't being serious, it was just a throwaway comment but.......

While people may laugh at that comment, but I genuinely think you are right. Again it's a contextual thing, we think the Universe is big and all our results show it to be fucking big, but I feel that there is going to be a trick in the tail which will affect how we interpret those results.

Here's my next throwaway comment. Oral sex does not give you cancer.

Oral sex does not give you cancer.

Considering the amount of cock you suck, I'd take your word on that.

Although it is true that HPV increases the risk of certain cancers.

Considering the amount of cock you suck, I'd take your word on that.

Although it is true that HPV increases the risk of certain cancers.

You are a cock and you suck.

Or some other equally tedious response.

This fred is pure swarming with geeks.

Seeing as how you are one of the "dece" appreciators, your opinion is as relevant and necessary as my Gran's.

And she died in 2005.

How about some Sun fun, P&Bers?

Our own Sun is a G2 Dwarf star. When compared to other stars, is pretty fucking unspectacular, but you could comfortably fit a million Earths inside it.

Have a look at this for how tiny and feeble our Sun is:

800px-Star-sizes.jpg

Or, for a direct comparison between our Sun and VY Canis Majoris:

800px-Sun_and_VY_Canis_Majoris.svg.png

Maybe slightly off topic, but is the universe only as complicated as is restricted by the human mind? Imagine all that we know and could possibly know. Will we EVER be able to know everything there is about the universe? It seems unlikely, there must be tons (poor term alert) of stuff that we simply won't ever find out or hope to understand.

It would be a bit strange, or perhaps a shame in a way if we were able to manage to understand everything. For if we did, would life be pointless? Or would it open up another window of existence? Surely the universe holds knowledge in itself that we won't simply ever be able to grasp or even acknowledge is there.

Maybe slightly off topic, but is the universe only as complicated as is restricted by the human mind? Imagine all that we know and could possibly know. Will we EVER be able to know everything there is about the universe? It seems unlikely, there must be tons (poor term alert) of stuff that we simply won't ever find out or hope to understand.

It would be a bit strange, or perhaps a shame in a way if we were able to manage to understand everything. For if we did, would life be pointless? Or would it open up another window of existence? Surely the universe holds knowledge in itself that we won't simply ever be able to grasp or even acknowledge is there.

Look how much our understanding has came on in the past few decades. Only 3 decades ago, we had never seen a clear picture of Jupiter and the other gas giants.

We will always understand more, but there's always the possibility that the more we understand the less we know and the more questions remain unanswered. I doubt the human race will ever fully understand every aspect of the cosmos.

Maybe slightly off topic, but is the universe only as complicated as is restricted by the human mind?

This. I've touched on it a few time on this thread. Mankind has evolved specifically to interact with 3 dimensions, while having an abstract understanding of the 4th. That doesn't mean we can't understand higher dimensions, but it does mean we are predisposed not to.