The Universe

The actual substance of space interests me in that while it may seem empty, it must have some kind of properties for things to exist in it or interact with it. If the universe is expanding, what it happening to the space itself? Is it increasing in volume and that's what causes the universe to expand? Or is the space itself is getting stretched? Is there a differnet kind of space outside the universe?

Is the Universe actually expanding at all? Or is everything just moving further away from the origin point and giving us the impression of growth?

Confi, a question.

We know the speed of light is constant but the speed of sound varies with the medium it's travelling through, yes?

Where in our solar system, or the universe if you can tell, is the speed of sound slowest and fastest?

Where in our solar system, or the universe if you can tell, is the speed of sound slowest and fastest?

Probably the solar core. IIRC density has a lot to do with it (it travels 15 times faster in iron than air) so that would be the densest place in the solar system (other than the space between Magees ears)

Edited by dorlomin

Is the Universe actually expanding at all? Or is everything just moving further away from the origin point and giving us the impression of growth?

My problem with the theory that the universe is expanding is that it would suggest that there is an end point to the unvierse, even though it is expanding. So say one day someone managed to reach the edge of the universe, what then is outside the universe? Nothingness?

What came before the universe? Nothing?

Screws wi your head all this.

My problem with the theory that the universe is expanding is that it would suggest that there is an end point to the unvierse, even though it is expanding.

Wish you are right, Frank. My gut is expanding and I do hope there is an endpoint.

Confi, a question.

We know the speed of light is constant but the speed of sound varies with the medium it's travelling through, yes?

Light travels at a slower rate through different mediums than a vaccuum. In air, for instance, around 88km/sec slower.

One thing I will never be able to get my head round is the 'why'.

I get that all our theories are slowly starting to explain the beginnings of the universe and various bits and bobs here and there... But, as simplistic as it is, I still can't figure out why it would start. I know I'm not alone in that, but it's the one that seems to be glossed over.

I read all sorts about HOW the universe was formed, and is formed, but never a lot on the why. I suppose there's no point trying to answer an impossible question really.

My problem with the theory that the universe is expanding is that it would suggest that there is an end point to the unvierse, even though it is expanding. So say one day someone managed to reach the edge of the universe, what then is outside the universe? Nothingness?

Yup. And in the middle of that is Fantasia, which is why we must hang onto our dreams and keep wishing, as it is those human dreams and human wishes that stop Fantasia being consumed by The Nothing.

As i said earlier in the thread, space is not made of anything and therefore doesn't need any higher space to exist in, so the answer to what lies beyond the edge of the Universe is probably nothing. If space did need that higher state, then what would be beyond the space beyond the edge of the Universe and so on and so on.

There are all sorts of other possibilities, such as m-theory, bubble universes etc, and there's every chance, in fact probably a good chance that at some point in the next generation or so our understanding of the Universe will completely change, but for now, the best bet is that beyond the Universe lies nothing.

One thing I will never be able to get my head round is the 'why'.

I get that all our theories are slowly starting to explain the beginnings of the universe and various bits and bobs here and there... But, as simplistic as it is, I still can't figure out why it would start. I know I'm not alone in that, but it's the one that seems to be glossed over.

I read all sorts about HOW the universe was formed, and is formed, but never a lot on the why. I suppose there's no point trying to answer an impossible question really.

Probably the ultimate stoner's question, that one.

Since we can only say what happened from the point of around 1/100th of a second after the big bang, who knows?

Have a look at this though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Smolin

He's the guy who wrote the theory of cosmological natural selection.

http://www.starlarvae.org/Star_Larvae_Cosmological_Natural_Selection.html

Edited by Confidemus

:blink:

Really?

Well... I know it's obviously a question that's been asked about a million times. I just mean that when I watch a documentary and I'm listening to a physicist go on about X that happened and Y that's going to happen and everything in between; I'm always just like - 'Yeah, but why?'. We really do seem to be getting a bit of a grasp on lots of the massive questions about our universe, but the one that really matters to me is the one that's impossible to answer, and is rarely attempted to aside from the 'Just did' vs. 'God' argument.

Well... I know it's obviously a question that's been asked about a million times. I just mean that when I watch a documentary and I'm listening to a physicist go on about X that happened and Y that's going to happen and everything in between; I'm always just like - 'Yeah, but why?'. We really do seem to be getting a bit of a grasp on lots of the massive questions about our universe, but the one that really matters to me is the one that's impossible to answer, and is rarely attempted to aside from the 'Just did' vs. 'God' argument.

The answer to that's easy.

If you want a serious answer I can give you it, although you're not going to like it.

Fields of potentiality.

There you go, told you you wouldn't like it. All that does is open up more questions, but scientifically that is what was "before" our Universe and also the cause of that Universe coming into existence.

Fields of potentiality.

There you go, told you you wouldn't like it. All that does is open up more questions, but scientifically that is what was "before" our Universe and also the cause of that Universe coming into existence.

As a confirmed atheist I think the answer is a simple "we don't know". Stuff happens.

Been reading up on the theoretical multi universe.

The basic princible of this theory is that there has always been a universe, that nothing or anything has ever existed before and that new universes bubble out from existing ones. So, our universe was created by another universe. Some astrophysicists speculate that this story is written in the relic radiation left over from the big bang: the cosmic microwave background.

Then the string theory.... it supports the idea of a cyclical universe,. It surmises that new matter and energy spring into existence every trillion years when two extra-dimensional membranes, or branes, collide in a zone outside our universe.

I don't pretend to understand all the science behind it but i like the idea of universes giving birth to knew ones.

Edited by FrankinsteinJambo

Ultimately there will always be something left unexplained, whether it's why there is a universe, why there are fields of potentiality or why there is a god. The ultimate question of why stuff exists is something philosophers and theologians can bother each other about it if they want, but it's not a question for scientific debate.