The Universe

2 hours ago, Lofarl said:

Does this look collimated to you guys with scopes?  No idea what I’m really doing with it.  Been using a Cheshire collimator.

649F216C-AA1D-4A9F-B800-84FDB275C3D3.jpeg

3E99BBEA-AB64-4420-A1CE-0B4BDB8F42C8.jpeg

@budmiester might be able to help.. Don't know how to tag people on my phone. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Potential date for SpaceX's Starship's first attempted launch, according to NASA. They need a static fire test first and likely to install a water deluge system, otherwise firing up all 33 Raptor engines at full thrust would probably smash windows miles away in all directions.

https://airbornescience.nasa.gov/content/SpaceX_Starship_Launch_placeholder?date_instance=20230311

P.S. Looks like the static fire test on the booster could be tomorrow, should be spectacular whatever happens.

Edited by welshbairn

Looks like the static fire test could be fairly soon, they've closed the roads and there's stuff happening in the fuelling system. Might still be hours away though. P.S. Nothing happening imminently, they haven't started fuelling yet. You can tell it's getting close when the rocket starts frosting up from the super chilled liquid methane and oxygen. If and when it eventually launches the thrust will be twice as powerful as any previous rocket, the test will be dialled down from that. P.P.S. I'm told that the test will probably be close to full thrust but only for a few seconds.

Edited by welshbairn

Alternative stream, slightly less annoying and more informative commentary. Nothing happening yet, should get about an hour's warning when they prepare to start fuelling.

Edited by welshbairn

Impressive explosion but only couple of seconds or so, seemed to go well, the launch site didn't blow up, so hopefully a go for March 11th. 

P.S. 3.13.30 on here.

Edited by welshbairn

If I could bring the online games and puzzles thread into this, today's Yeardle mentions Venus occulting Jupiter so I looked up what that was all about.

Turns out the last time it happened was 1818 and it won't occur again til 2065!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetary_transits_and_occultations#:~:text=Other planetary occultations-,Mutual planetary occultations and transits,two planets%3A Venus and Jupiter.

Discussion on Orbex, Forres and Denmark based rocket company, and their progress to first launch at their Sutherland Space Hub. Looks like this year will be a push, more likely 2024. First hint and I'll be booking my B&B in Tongue or somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...