The Universe

Did anyone on here know that a googol (1x10^100) is a larger number than the number of grains of sand it would take to compact into the visible universe? In fact it would take 100,000 more visible universes to make a googol worth of sand particles.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Did anyone on here know that a googol (1x10^100) is a larger number than the number of grains of sand it would take to compact into the visible universe? In fact it would take 100,000 more visible universes to make a googol worth of sand particles.

Where’s is all this sand coming from?

11 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

East and west beaches I would imagine.

The number of possible sequences a 52 pack of card can be shuffled is 8^67 which is larger than the number of individual atoms there are on earth (there are 10 million alone in the tip of a needle for example)

The number googolplex is a 10 to the power of a googol worth of zeros, and if you were to write every 0 in that number out there wouldn’t be enough particles in the visible universe for every 0 that’s in a googolplex. A googolplex would actually be close to representing the total number of possible combinations an observable universe full ofsand particles could be arranged (similar to the sequences you could find a shuffled pack of cards in).

11 minutes ago, throbber said:

The number of possible sequences a 52 pack of card can be shuffled is 8^67 which is larger than the number of individual atoms there are on earth (there are 10 million alone in the tip of a needle for example)

The number googolplex is a 10 to the power of a googol worth of zeros, and if you were to write every 0 in that number out there wouldn’t be enough particles in the visible universe for every 0 that’s in a googolplex. A googolplex would actually be close to representing the total number of possible combinations an observable universe full ofsand particles could be arranged (similar to the sequences you could find a shuffled pack of cards in).

Might need Nairn beach as well when you put it like that.

3 hours ago, FlyerTon said:

Bennu asteroid sample return due to land at 3:55pm

Thought it was quite funny when the presenters were explaining how complicated the recovery process was to avoid contamination, in the background a couple people strolled over, picked it up and shoved it in a plastic bag. The presenters didn't notice. :lol:

P. S. I like the way NASA are showing every bit of the process including what happens back in the clean room when they take it apart and get the sample canister out for nitrogen purging. Usually it's just "The capsule has landed back on Earth, Go USA!". 

P. P. S. The workers just stood around shuffling papers around till they switched off the livestream, don't blame them. 

Edited by welshbairn

6 hours ago, throbber said:

Graham's number shits on a googolplex.

7 hours ago, throbber said:

I seem to remember it was a £1,000,000 question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

Have any P&Bers ever won £1,000,000 on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? ?

6 hours ago, Lurkst said:

I seem to remember it was a £1,000,000 question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

No but I always remember that I knew the answer to the first time someone reached it. Something to do with Durham Cricket club.

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

No but I always remember that I knew the answer to the first time someone reached it. Something to do with Durham Cricket club.

Yeah, the first million pound question was "Which English County Cricket club plays their games at Chester-le-Street?". It's really a geography question rather than a Cricket question and not particularly a difficult one given it's a fairly sizable town and the other options given I'm sure were nowhere near the North East of England.

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Numbers can be really big if you add a lot of zeros at the end. Better?

I am very sorry for my unpleasant remark 

6 hours ago, Lurkst said:

It was the £1m question for the major who was cheating on it.