Reasons to be Cheerful

Yeah it's a ridiculous process. You take out the policy (in the case of building insurance it's compulsory as you say) and pay into it every month and the insurance company is therefore being paid continually by a multitude of people for literally doing nothing. Every once ina while a tiny minority of their customers will make a claim on their policy and the insurance company then sigh heavily and say "but we liked it much better when you were just giving us money and we didn't have to do anything for it". A truly absurd situation.

Yeah it's a ridiculous process. You take out the policy (in the case of building insurance it's compulsory as you say) and pay into it every month and the insurance company is therefore being paid continually by a multitude of people for literally doing nothing. Every once ina while a tiny minority of their customers will make a claim on their policy and the insurance company then sigh heavily and say "but we liked it much better when you were just giving us money and we didn't have to do anything for it". A truly absurd situation.

My wife and daughter went to lanzarote a couple of years ago and their apartment was broken into. She had her phone and a really expensive watch stolen. We were able to claim through our home contents insurance from Direct line. They paid up no problem and the following years policy was virtually unchanged.

Yup. Won't hear anything bad about insurance. My claims service is top class.

I've heard of brilliant insurers, no quibbling about accidents, for example, involving cars with child seats in, replacing them immediately and without needing an inspection (for the benefit of those that don't know, car seats for kids should not be used after they've been in a car that's had a collison) and others that will f**k about over the tiniest of details and refuse to pay out for anything.

What I don't understand is how some premiums can jump to extortionate levels after a claim. I appreciate people are considered a greater risk after an incident but if, for example, I park in Tesco carpark, someone hits my car when I'm shopping, I have to claim to repair the damage, I then have to pay a higher premium? That's a bit shit.

I've heard of brilliant insurers, no quibbling about accidents, for example, involving cars with child seats in, replacing them immediately and without needing an inspection (for the benefit of those that don't know, car seats for kids should not be used after they've been in a car that's had a collison) and others that will f**k about over the tiniest of details and refuse to pay out for anything.

What I don't understand is how some premiums can jump to extortionate levels after a claim. I appreciate people are considered a greater risk after an incident but if, for example, I park in Tesco carpark, someone hits my car when I'm shopping, I have to claim to repair the damage, I then have to pay a higher premium? That's a bit shit.

It's more than a bit shit, it's fundamentally broken, but that's the world of finance for you.

Statistics show those involved in an accident are more likely to be involved in another. Tbh your premium shouldn't rise that much after one accident, if you look at the market every renewal. As I work for a broker instead of an insurer we sometimes see premiums go down!

Mine's due in June. I'm coming on here to see who can get me a good deal!

Re insurance: in 2009 when my house was almost totally destroyed inside due to flooding the insurers were superb. the loss adjuster came, took one quick look at the house, then basically said, replace the lot. All ne internal walls, floors, ceilings, appliances, furniture, bathroom suite etc.

they got builders in to do the work they needed and sent me a cheque for about 25K for the rest.

Re insurance: in 2009 when my house was almost totally destroyed inside due to flooding the insurers were superb. the loss adjuster came, took one quick look at the house, then basically said, replace the lot. All ne internal walls, floors, ceilings, appliances, furniture, bathroom suite etc.

they got builders in to do the work they needed and sent me a cheque for about 25K for the rest.

Lucky white heather...get your lucky white heather...

I pay into the policy, I should be able to access the funds, like a pension.

As a household insurance claims handler, this is one of the most infuriating lines I hear, and I hear it multiple times a day. Usually spouted by old folk or morons (the 2 are not mutually exclusive).

As a household insurance claims handler, this is one of the most infuriating lines I hear, and I hear it multiple times a day. Usually spouted by old folk or morons (the 2 are not mutually exclusive).

In a scenario where there is genuine damage though it makes sense, in the simplest of senses. I don't give a tuppeny f**k for the insurance company's terms, at the end of the day I took out the policy because I may some day need to claim on it, so my position as the policy holder is purely that of "right, I've paid into the policy and now I want that money back to resolve the problem that lead me to contact my insurer". Thankfully this is all moot since they've assured me they'll cover the damage.

In a scenario where there is genuine damage though it makes sense, in the simplest of senses. I don't give a tuppeny f**k for the insurance company's terms, at the end of the day I took out the policy because I may some day need to claim on it, so my position as the policy holder is purely that of "right, I've paid into the policy and now I want that money back to resolve the problem that lead me to contact my insurer". Thankfully this is all moot since they've assured me they'll cover the damage.

Should it not be the neighbours or their insurance that pays?