SJC's Boat Thread

Whilst it's a cheaper initial outlay than a flat the mooring fees are circa £4000pa, boats can vary in price.......mine was circa £40k with around £20k spent on renovating it.

You have to have to have it surveyed/maintained every 4 years......the dry dock costs £750/week on its own......it's not as cheap as you'd expect.

Do you have to pay Council Tax?

P.S. Don't know if it's practical in Scotland but you can avoid mooring fees in England/Wales by moving every couple of weeks. Means a bit of car shuttling but there's loads of canals within easy reach of the big cities where most people work, so it's quite easy to do.

Edited by welshbairn

Do you have to pay Council Tax?

P.S. Don't know if it's practical in Scotland but you can avoid mooring fees in England/Wales by moving every couple of weeks. Means a bit of car shuttling but there's loads of canals within easy reach of the big cities where most people work, so it's quite easy to do.

No Council Tax charges.

I could avoid mooring fees by moving every 2 weeks but it's not really practical here or down South.....You have to consider electricity, water & welfare facilities not to mention having to run back & forward to collect your car after every move!

I wouldn't have the boat unless it was moored in the middle of Edinburgh tbh.

No Council Tax charges.

I could avoid mooring fees by moving every 2 weeks but it's not really practical here or down South.....You have to consider electricity, water & welfare facilities not to mention having to run back & forward to collect your car after every move!

sjc knows. 8)

Get it fcuking sorted! Need it for tomorrow night.

Left it where we picked it up from. We had to get a sniper to take the monkey out. This is a sad end to what could have been a great week

No Council Tax charges.

If you're short it's not too difficult down south. You have to take it easy on electricity where you can't plug in, and run the engine every so often to recharge the batteries. A wee trip to fill up the water every so often. There's always other people in the same position so car shuttling isn't difficult. Things like post and variable phone and tv signal's probably the most inconvenient. To be honest I think it's mainly retired people who do it, and working people who have a flat/house as well.

If you're short it's not too difficult down south. You have to take it easy on electricity where you can't plug in, and run the engine every so often to recharge the batteries. A wee trip to fill up the water every so often. There's always other people in the same position so car shuttling isn't difficult. Things like post and variable phone and tv signal's probably the most inconvenient. To be honest I think it's mainly retired people who do it, and working people who have a flat/house as well.

Sounds like far too much hassle for me on top of the crazy hours I have to work......I'll stick to the residential mooring ta :)

You have a boat yourself mate?

Sounds like far too much hassle for me on top of the crazy hours I have to work......I'll stick to the residential mooring ta :)

You have a boat yourself mate?

No, got a couple of mates who have on the North Wales/England border. One shuttles about in the summer and moors up for the Winter. The other's got a house and uses it to escape the family when he gets the chance. I like the cruising around and stopping off in pubs, but I'd find it claustrophobic full time I think, and I'm too grumpy to smile and chat with the nosey fuckers walking on the towpath.

This is cool as f**k - unless you're actually some strange nautical weirdo. Then it's a bit strange. If you're just a guy living on a boat it's cool as f**k.

I'm just a guy that lives on a boat in the middle of Edinburgh........that occasionally takes her out for a sail.

• 1 month later...

Just read this thread through in it's entirety. Excellent read. Cheered me right up.

Used to live on Watson Cres years ago. Backing onto canal. Anyway lovely spot where you are.

After reading through nosey as fck to see some finished pics of interior.

Fair play to you. Need any decorating tips give me a shout.

Good luck.

Just read this thread through in it's entirety. Excellent read. Cheered me right up.

Used to live on Watson Cres years ago. Backing onto canal. Anyway lovely spot where you are.

After reading through nosey as fck to see some finished pics of interior.

Fair play to you. Need any decorating tips give me a shout.

Good luck.

Cheers mate. Nearly finished.....an absolute ball ache getting it over the finishing line though!

Will get the pics up in due course.