Teams to allocate squad numbers to players - Instructed by SPFL

Aye. Names on the back will see media coverage sky rocket. When the product continues to deteriorate who cares. We have names on our strips. I'm sure those who are desperate to know who Montrose's number 7 is this weekend will be happy.

Montrose wouldn't be part of the scheme, as they'll never be in the second tier.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't be bothered replying to everything but there's no way most clubs in the SFL have their own printing machine. It makes absolutely no difference so there's no need to come out and lie.

Lol I can't think of any reason to lie about whether I know that most SFL teams have a heat press machine.

FYI they aint that expensive and are pretty handy seeing as its a constant chore of even small teams to re-number shirts, shorts and whatever else needs done in the season.

Why do people have to take things to extremes? No one is suggesting that this is the magic solution or anything like that. It's one of a number of small changes that makes the overall games a more interesting product to sponsors.

You can grumble and reminisce all you want but this is football nowadays. Your team has agreed to these changes and understand things like this are helpful in trying to entice people to put money into the game. The naive hope on my part is that added finance will allow clubs to reduce ticket prices but that is probably ridiculous thinking.

This will make little if any difference... having player names and squad numbers is not going to do anything meaningful for publicity or naming rights, nor is it going to do much negative in terms of cost. So on that basis it's not something worth trumpeting, nor worth getting annoyed about. It's a wee change, it does no harm and allows them to chalk-up an early claim on 'doing something different'.

What I do find odd is that it should be extended to 'the Championship' or whatever it's going to be called but not 'League 1' and 'League 2'. I thought I saw it mentioned somewhere they may introduce 7 subs in tier 2, as well? It'll be interesting to see what happens with triallists too as they weren't permitted in SPL.

Introducing such artificial differences surely risks creating the impression that the lower-level clubs are an afterthought, as some claimed would happen, even if that isn't the reality.

So if squad numbers are a good idea, surely they're a good idea for all levels, and there should be uniformity across SPFL.

Why do people have to take things to extremes? No one is suggesting that this is the magic solution or anything like that. It's one of a number of small changes that makes the overall games a more interesting product to sponsors.

You can grumble and reminisce all you want but this is football nowadays. Your team has agreed to these changes and understand things like this are helpful in trying to entice people to put money into the game. The naive hope on my part is that added finance will allow clubs to reduce ticket prices but that is probably ridiculous thinking.

Agreed, folk getting upset about this is pathetic.

This will make little if any difference... having player names and squad numbers is not going to do anything meaningful for publicity or naming rights, nor is it going to do much negative in terms of cost. So on that basis it's not something worth trumpeting, nor worth getting annoyed about. It's a wee change, it does no harm and allows them to chalk-up an early claim on 'doing something different'.

What I do find odd is that it should be extended to 'the Championship' or whatever it's going to be called but not 'League 1' and 'League 2'. I thought I saw it mentioned somewhere they may introduce 7 subs in tier 2, as well? It'll be interesting to see what happens with triallists too as they weren't permitted in SPL.

Introducing such artificial differences surely risks creating the impression that the lower-level clubs are an afterthought, as some claimed would happen, even if that isn't the reality.

So if squad numbers are a good idea, surely they're a good idea for all levels, and there should be uniformity across SPFL.

Thin end of the wedge IMO. Surely it makes more sense for the SFL2 and 3 clubs to be implementing this as the players are hardly likely to be well known unlike all the internationalists in the SPL and SFL1 who would never be able to fool the QOS teams! :rolleyes:

It's a little thing that makes the product look slightly better. There is a reluctance to change within Scottish football. If there is such an uproar about something so insignificant it's a miracle that there has been any form of reconstruction.

Agreed, folk getting upset about this is pathetic.

I don't think anyone's unduly upset.

It's a change that's been introduced and a thread about it has been started. Some of us think it's pointless and daft and are saying so. Hardly pathetic.

I like the idea of having squad numbers and names on the back of shirts. No real reason, I just like the idea of it.

My only concern is that it could stop the youth players breaking into the team as easily. Yes, all players will be given a squad number but they aren't going to actually print shirts for the youth players.

- Liam Callaghan made a couple of appearances from the bench for us against East Fife in the cup and Dumbarton away last season.

- Jack Nicholson was called up at the very last minute to be a sub against Montrose in the cup and Partick away.

With this new rule, instead of putting a youth player on the bench with the thought of bedding him into the team / giving him a chance, a fringe player is likely to take his place as a sub instead because the youth player doesn't have a printed shirt ready. We could end up with a scenario of having a bench of a keeper and four defenders because of injury etc.

One positive is that it allows the younger fans to have their hero's name printed on their tops. It's all about attracting kids along to the games and i'm not saying this is the way to do it but it will help. Lots of kids will want shirt printing on their top I would imagine. I think it's a good thing though and provides a fresh look on the division IMO.

I like the idea of having squad numbers and names on the back of shirts. No real reason, I just like the idea of it.

My only concern is that it could stop the youth players breaking into the team as easily. Yes, all players will be given a squad number but they aren't going to actually print shirts for the youth players.

- Liam Callaghan made a couple of appearances from the bench for us against East Fife in the cup and Dumbarton away last season.

- Jack Nicholson was called up at the very last minute to be a sub against Montrose in the cup and Partick away.

With this new rule, instead of putting a youth player on the bench with the thought of bedding him into the team / giving him a chance, a fringe player is likely to take his place as a sub instead because the youth player doesn't have a printed shirt ready. We could end up with a scenario of having a bench of a keeper and four defenders because of injury etc.

I wouldn't imagine that we would just not put a youngster on the bench just to save money on printing his name on a shirt. Were not the richest club going but I don't think things are that bad.

What I want to know is, is there a standard font and size for the print and if so which player/players have names that they will struggle to get on their shirt? :)

Edited to say ironically our longest surname is with our smallest player, wee Danny Carmichael.

No surprise that much of the negativity here is coming from the Cowden spear throwers and the QOS dullards - both stuck in the Dark Ages. This may be gimmicky but the vast majority of players and fans will see it as a welcome addition.

I wouldn't imagine that we would just not put a youngster on the bench just to save money on printing his name on a shirt. Were not the richest club going but I don't think things are that bad.

It wasn't so much the cost although that is a factor too, I suppose. Take Jack Nicholson at Partick away. He was told at about 2pm that he was going to be on the bench that day because of injury to Coult. If that was to happen this season then we couldn't get a shirt with his name and squad number printed at such short notice.

I imagine our printing will be done by Football Nation as they have the facilities but they are in Edinburgh so arrangements would need to be made in advance to get youth shirts printed and to the club in plenty of time.

Archived