Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

20 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

An interesting documentary about our brethren in Ghana and Togo, which also touches on lodges that used to exist in other parts of Africa.

Our Ghana and Toga brethren are always well represented whenever the Imperial Orange Council meets, and in recent times some of them have taken part in 'The Twelfth' as well as the annual Boyne commemorations in Scotland, specifically the East of Scotland.

I have unfortunately never had the pleasure of meeting any of them, but two of my lodge have and speak very highly of these laid back, polite and charismatic Christians who live their lives by what they deem to be God's will.

If anybody wishes to engage constructively then it would be most welcome, however, as always, trolls will be completely ignored.

Imperialism isn’t something to be celebrated. 

1 minute ago, DiamondDan said:

That depends on the context in which the term is being used.

We're not talking about an empire here.

How are we not talking about an empire here? The only reason anyone in Ghana and Togo cares about the Boyne, King William and all your other weirdo orange order shite is the British empire. 

40 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

How are we not talking about an empire here? The only reason anyone in Ghana and Togo cares about the Boyne, King William and all your other weirdo orange order shite is the British empire. 

I was in two minds whether to reply to this, as your claim of 'weirdo orange shite' leads me to think you're just a wee troll.

Only time will tell if me giving you the time of day is the right decision.

How are we not talking about an empire?  Because 'imperial' is being used in a different context than the British empire here.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't know that.. again, perhaps this will turn out to be a case of 'more fool me'.  It is of course being used in the sense of the Orange Order, which has never had an actual empire, although it'd be hilarious if we did, but in the sense of having an expansive, forward-thinking, global approach where lodges have popped up all over planet Earth.

However, the phrase 'the sun never sets on the Orange Empire' has still never been a thing, I'm afraid.

The only thing which could actually be classed as part of our empire is Katikati! 😝 (look it up)

Edited by DiamondDan

19 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

I was in two minds whether to reply to this, as your claim of 'weirdo orange shite' leads me to think you're just a wee troll.

Only time will tell if me giving you the time of day is the right decision.

How are we not talking about an empire?  Because 'imperial' is being used in a different context than the British empire here.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't know that.. again, perhaps this will turn out to be a case of 'more fool me'.  It is of course being used in the sense of the Orange Order, which has never had an actual empire, although it'd be hilarious if we did, but in the sense of having an expansive, forward-thinking, global approach where lodges have popped up all over planet Earth.

However, the phrase 'the sun never sets on the Orange Empire' has still never been a thing, I'm afraid.

The only thing which could actually be classed as part of our empire is Katikati! 😝 (look it up)

So if the British empire isn’t the reason for orange lodges existing in countries like Ghana, then what is? 

4 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

So if the British empire isn’t the reason for orange lodges existing in countries like Ghana, then what is? 

I've just explained the reason for the usage of the term 'imperial', which is nothing to do with the British Empire.

Are you going to meaningfully comment on the documentary?  Or are you just here to troll?

Edited by DiamondDan

7 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

I've just explained the reason for the usage of the term 'imperial', which is nothing to do with the British Empire.

Are you going to meaningfully comment on the documentary?  Or are you just here to troll?

I don’t think you understand what I’m trying to say here. I’m not talking about the terminology used by the orange order, I’m talking about the reason that orange lodges exist in Africa in the first place. Do you think that people in Ghana and Togo just decided one day that they’d join an organisation that had absolutely no connections to them or their history?  

Just now, MazzyStar said:

I don’t think you understand what I’m trying to say here. I’m not talking about the terminology used by the orange order, I’m talking about the reason that orange lodges exist in Africa in the first place. Do you think that people in Ghana and Togo just decided one day that they’d join an organisation that had absolutely no connections to them or their history?  

You're going on to something else though.

We were talking about the use of the term 'imperial' in the context the Imperial Orange Council that meets every four years.  It's a meeting of all Grand Orange Lodges.

I've explained that it's not used in the context of the British Empire, but of the expansionist nature of the Orange Order itself.  Should that not be the end of the discussion?

31 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Although to be fair the pontiff’s side is rooted in two and a half millennia of imperialism so it’s difficult to see any good guys here

Interesting take, the Roman Empire may strongly object, the Roman Empire that is, not the Holy Roman Empire.

55 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Interesting take, the Roman Empire may strongly object, the Roman Empire that is, not the Holy Roman Empire.

To be fair the popes in Rome only formally assumed the title of Pontifex Maximus a long long time after kicking the pagans out  of Rome but in using it they’re claiming that legacy every time they tweet

• 1 month later...

Knuckle-dragging cretins from 'Armadale' (West Lothian) and every other bin parading through Glasgow city centre and blocking the main thoroughfare between the train stations, on the second Saturday before Christmas. 

They should either be banned from marching as a public nuisance or taken to Armadale to traipse around a field in this rain. 

On 13/07/2023 at 12:27, jimbaxters said:

For those who don't venture far on this site, ex-Junior club Johnstone Burgh who are currently in Tier 7 are splashing the cash. They announced the signing of Kyle Lafferty yesterday (12th July) then tried to say it was coincidence. Needless to say they're making lots of pals.

I went and watched East Craigie play Johnstone Burgh a few months ago and was slightly bemused to arrive at Keanie Park and see a Ferrari parked here :lol: 

image.thumb.png.2e3d4e44a0b2eb940f57d1952f4819bc.png

Don't think Lafferty played but Dorrans did. Assume it belonged to one of them.

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

I went and watched East Craigie play Johnstone Burgh a few months ago and was slightly bemused to arrive at Keanie Park and see a Ferrari parked here :lol: 

It's been stolen!

7 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Probably not an East Craigie player

Just now, carpetmonster said:

'it is old and it is beautiful and is made of fine gore-tex

from july through to january those catholics have us vexed'

The scarf, gloves and hat my father wore.