Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

22 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Isn't that a masonic lodge as opposed to an Orange lodge

18 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Yes.

How fucking dare you confuse the two @alta-pete

I did debate where to drop my nugget and, maybe mistakenly, thought this thread the most appropriate (least inappropriate?) place for it. Sorry if I've sullied the cricket chat..

1 minute ago, alta-pete said:

I did debate where to drop my nugget and, maybe mistakenly, thought this thread the most appropriate (least inappropriate?) place for it. Sorry if I've sullied the cricket chat..

The property needs work IMO. 

34 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

There isn't even a cricket club in Kilbirnie.

There was one in Kilbirnie NZ but the merged with St Patricks to form "Eastern Suburbs" which is possibly the least inspiring team name imaginable

It makes "Aberdeen Football Club" seem whimsically romantic

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Turn it into an irish pub called Connolly's or Collins' 

There was a pub in Inverkeithing called The Masonic Arms, changed hands and renamed Gallagher's complete with a jukebox that played nothing but diddliedee shite.

• 3 weeks later...

Cricket season arrives in Inverness later this month.

Apprentice Boys of Derry march planned for Inverness provokes social media controversy

Alasdair Fraser
~4 minutes

A previous Apprentice Boys of Derry march in Inverness. Picture: Gary Anthony. A previous Apprentice Boys of Derry march in Inverness. Picture: Gary Anthony.

An Apprentice Boys of Derry parade taking place in Inverness later this month has stoked controversy on social media.

An estimated 300 people will join the march on Saturday, April 20, which has been organised by the City of Inverness Campsie Club, associated members of the broader organisation.

The parade will see a number of temporary road closures in the city between 2.45 pm and 4.30 pm.

It will affect various streets in the area including Victoria Drive, Crown Drive, Crown Road, Eastgate, High Street, Bridge Street, Castle Road, Ness Bank and Cavell Gardens, Haugh Road.

A map of the Apprentice Boys of Derry parade route on April 20, 2024. A map of the Apprentice Boys of Derry parade route on April 20, 2024.

Last month, the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland lost a court appeal over an Aberdeenshire Council decision to block a parade in Stonehaven.

The Apprentice Boys of Derry views itself as distinct from the Orange Order.

A previous Apprentice Boys of Derry march in Inverness. Picture: Gary Anthony. A previous Apprentice Boys of Derry march in Inverness. Picture: Gary Anthony.

While members of the Orange Order focus on the triumph of William of Orange at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, the Apprentice Boys of Derry focus on the Siege of Derry and the ending of the siege in 1689.

The organisation’s website describes it as “a Christian, historical and cultural organisation, committed to maintaining the spirit of courage and liberty displayed by the Defenders of Londonderry in 1688-1689.”

Highland Council records show similar parades have taken place in Inverness since at least 2007.

But the sanctioning of the event by Police Scotland and Highland Council, which did not name the organisation behind the parade in a road closures notification, has provoked an outpouring of opposition from local residents on social media.

Sheila Mitchell replied to Highland Council’s notice of road closures by saying: “Leave your bigotry and religious division where it belongs, not up here!”

Several respondents called it a “hate march” and said the decision to allow it was an “utter disgrace”.

Chris Dwyer said: “Utterly depressing that Highland Council would allow this utter hate march. A very backward step.”

Julia Campbell asked: “What on earth are you thinking? Time to stop this bigotry and sectarianism in the Highlands.”

Robbie Duff called it “an insult to decency, while another said: “Archaic hate-fuelled Sectarian marches have no place in a civilised society.

“Shame on you for allowing these disgusting bigots to parade their bigotry.”

Mike Sutherland wrote: “Absolutely disgusting that bigotry is allowed to be paraded on the streets of Inverness. Shame on you.”

Peter MacDonald claimed: “This is not a parade. You obviously know and the ambiguous description suggests the council is hiding this.

“This is a display of sectarianism and religious bigotry, which will see the council in court for contravention of the hate crime legislation.”

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: "We are aware of the planned march in Inverness on Saturday, 20 April, 2024.

“Our policing operation will be proportionate and focused on public safety, as well as working closely with partners to reduce disruption to the wider community."

Highland Council and The Apprentice Boys of Derry have been asked to comment.

Cue 10 pages of tedium from Kincy telling us that the Apprentice Boys and Orange Order are in no way related.