Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

40 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

More to the point he turns 70 next year! It would be a bit wierd if he had washboard abs.

Also worth noting perhaps that there was a time when members of the loyal orders tended to back William Wolfe of the SNP against Tam Dayell of Labour in West Lothian. Later on once Alex Salmond was the SNP leader, the Monklands East by-election was probably the last high profile example of SNP electoral support being fueled by a working class Protestant backlash against the perceived sectarian leanings of the Labour party, but anecdotally I heard of at least some people aligned with the loyal orders preferring to vote SNP rather than Labour around the time when Jack McConnell was holding his sectarianism summits and many/most of Labour's Scottish MPs could be found at Parkhead reasonably regularly.

If you are old enough to remember those things the "Scottish Nhationalism" angle above seems a bit odd. Worth bearing in mind that the main reason some people who are very much not of a red, white and blue persuasion like George Galloway are still very much opposed to independence is that Scotland is viewed as still being too Protestant to be trusted with a fully sovereign parliament in case it turns into another pre-1972 Stormont. Seamus Mallon, an SDLP politician probably best remembered for describing the Good Friday Agreement as "Sunningdale for slow learners", was not too impressed when Alex Salmond tried to link Scottish independence to the history of Irish nationalism in the run up to the 2014 referendum:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scottish-independence-referendum-salmond-claims-links-to-irish-freedom-struggle-2506592

...Seamus Mallon, a former leader of the moderate, mainly nationalist SDLP, suggested Mr Salmond should brush up on his history, saying many Scots were members of the Black and Tans, the notorious British militia that gained a reputation for violence in Ireland after the Great War.

Mr Mallon said: “Scotland was part of the bullying that took place in Ireland. People from Scotland were the cornerstone of the plantation of Ulster. I think Alex is a very able performer, but his knowledge of history is a little weak.

“As recently as 15 years ago, you had Scottish regiments here, enforcing the writ of Britain so, I think I could recommend a good history of Ireland for him.”...

24 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Also worth noting perhaps that there was a time when members of the loyal orders tended to back William Wolfe of the SNP against Tam Dayell of Labour in West Lothian. Later on once Alex Salmond was the SNP leader, the Monklands East by-election was probably the last high profile example of SNP electoral support being fueled by a working class Protestant backlash against the perceived sectarian leanings of the Labour party, but anecdotally I heard of at least some people aligned with the loyal orders preferring to vote SNP rather than Labour around the time when Jack McConnell was holding his sectarianism summits and many/most of Labour's Scottish MPs could be found at Parkhead reasonably regularly.

If you are old enough to remember those things the "Scottish Nhationalism" angle above seems a bit odd. Worth bearing in mind that the main reason some people who are very much not of a red, white and blue persuasion like George Galloway are still very much opposed to independence is that Scotland is viewed as still being too Protestant to be trusted with a fully sovereign parliament in case it turns into another pre-1972 Stormont. Seamus Mallon, an SDLP politician probably best remembered for describing the Good Friday Agreement as "Sunningdale for slow learners", was not too impressed when Alex Salmond tried to link Scottish independence to the history of Irish nationalism in the run up to the 2014 referendum:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scottish-independence-referendum-salmond-claims-links-to-irish-freedom-struggle-2506592

...Seamus Mallon, a former leader of the moderate, mainly nationalist SDLP, suggested Mr Salmond should brush up on his history, saying many Scots were members of the Black and Tans, the notorious British militia that gained a reputation for violence in Ireland after the Great War.

Mr Mallon said: “Scotland was part of the bullying that took place in Ireland. People from Scotland were the cornerstone of the plantation of Ulster. I think Alex is a very able performer, but his knowledge of history is a little weak.

“As recently as 15 years ago, you had Scottish regiments here, enforcing the writ of Britain so, I think I could recommend a good history of Ireland for him.”...

The further you look back into the past at Scottish Nationalism the more it seems to have lent towards the "Blood and Soil" variant as opposed to the more respectable "civic nationalism" that is standard these days.

Although to be fair just about everywhere in Europe caught at least a minor Oswald Mosley size dose of that strain even if they didn't go down with a full blown case of the Mussolinis

On 10/09/2023 at 16:40, Cosmic Joe said:

When you are reduced to adding the letter "h" after the initial letter of everything you have an issue with strikes me as extreme paranoia. 

Anyway I'm going to become a Schottish Rhugby fan for the next two hours. 

Nhot shure whhat yhou're ohn ahbout.

On 10/09/2023 at 14:03, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Not being funny, but the Drumderg Loyalists are one of the best bands on the road just now, which is highly impressive given Keady isn't exactly fertile territory (like this board)

They were mindblowing at Scarva.

Dan, how many loyalist bands are on the road just now?

There are about 700 or something in Northern Ireland - an all time high.

In Scotland I reckon it's about 150.

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Ordered myself this banger for Christmas 

Screenshot_20231029_123556_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8849a54acdf88387754e937f799014f0.jpg

That seems a bargain but it’s only 24 pages 

For readers interested in a fuller and more nuanced critique of the papacy I can recommend “Vicars of Christ” by Peter De Rosa. As a former Catholic Priest he’s writing from a particular perspective

3 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

The website for the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland has had a long overdue makeover.  A great effort 

Loyal Orange Institution of Scotland (orangeorderscotland.com)

Some interesting information on there, and it's good to see the shop back online in good time for Christmas.

Why is orange ordering cotland for Christmas?

3 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

The website for the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland has had a long overdue makeover.  A great effort 

Loyal Orange Institution of Scotland (orangeorderscotland.com)

Some interesting information on there, and it's good to see the shop back online in good time for Christmas.

That's a very good website for a lodge dedicated to a fruit, tbf.

17 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

Some very poor quality trolling here chaps.

Up your game.

How about being direct and just calling you out for being an apologist for bigotry? 

Sectarianism is down there with racism and homophobia. 

Enjoying yourself in the gutter of life sunshine? 

An interesting documentary about our brethren in Ghana and Togo, which also touches on lodges that used to exist in other parts of Africa.

Our Ghana and Toga brethren are always well represented whenever the Imperial Orange Council meets, and in recent times some of them have taken part in 'The Twelfth' as well as the annual Boyne commemorations in Scotland, specifically the East of Scotland.

I have unfortunately never had the pleasure of meeting any of them, but two of my lodge have and speak very highly of these laid back, polite and charismatic Christians who live their lives by what they deem to be God's will.

If anybody wishes to engage constructively then it would be most welcome, however, as always, trolls will be completely ignored.

Edited by DiamondDan