Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

They aren't my brothers and I haven't been a member of The Orange Order for over 30 years. I do, though, support their celebration of, probably, the most significant event in modern British history. Sad if, for some, it's a GIRUY against Catholics - I deprecate bigotry.

Did you leave the Orange Order because you realised it's an anachronism?

While, supporting their 'celebration', do you think it's an embarrassing way to behave?

Do they wear bowler hats?

OK here's a challenge. Tell me what my perception of "that event" actually is? Talk me through my perception of the Glorious Revolution.

There never was one. Everything that you think you know is a wrong.

Right I asked you two reasonable questions. All you did in reply was post some shite video. Is this what is regarded as reasonable discussion these days?

Yup more significant than all that you mentioned even if you're trying to take the pish at the end of your list. The Williamite revolution changed the relationship between parliament and crown. This is a good thing and well worth celebrating by anyone with the least interest in parliamentary democracy.

If you think the Battle of the Boyne was of more historical significance than the railway boom that completely transformed this nation, you're the one taking the piss. Britain's industrial & economic might was significantly increased by the fact we enrailed the place top to bottom, permitting the swifter (& safer) travel of raw materials, food, goods & people than horseback travel on roads ever could.

"The Williamite revolution changed the relationship between parliament and crown."

No it didn't.

William largely played off the Whigs & Tories off against one another during his reign (when he was here), & as his interests were more in stopping Louis XIV overrunning Europe at all costs (with good reason: the Sun King was a very nasty piece of work), Parliament gave the impression of having the whip hand merely by deign of a monarch largely happy to give them what they wanted in return for war funds & materials.

Fat Anne & the first of the four-in-a-row Georges did likewise (albeit George II was a largely absentee shitgibbon of a king), thus the relationship between Parliament and crown never changed de facto until George III was forced to surrender the Crown Estates to Parliament in 1760 thanks to George II being up to his eyeballs in Ye Olde Wonga loans, thereby making the sovereign dependent on the Civil List granted by Parliament.

Did you leave the Orange Order because you realised it's an anachronism?

While, supporting their 'celebration', do you think it's an embarrassing way to behave?

Do they wear bowler hats?

We've exchanged enough messages on threads for you to know I am a literalistic and overly serious chunt.

Do you want a serious answer to your points or shall I post shite Youtube vids?

If you think the Battle of the Boyne was of more historical significance than the railway boom that completely transformed this nation, you're the one taking the piss.

I certainly didn't mention either railways nor TBOTB. No idea why you bring this up. The Williamite settlement put parliament in the driving seat. This is why it is revolutionary. This is why it is significant.

Right I asked you two reasonable questions. All you did in reply was post some shite video. Is this what is regarded as reasonable discussion these days?

There is no past or future Kincardine. There is only the NOW, the pre-sent. If you are smart enough to understand quantum physics and watch & listen to that video (very carefully) you will realise that quantum physics (science) answers the questions that you asked me as well as many other questions that you may have inside your head about life in general. :)

We've exchanged enough messages on threads for you to know I am a literalistic and overly serious chunt.

Do you want a serious answer to your points or shall I post shite Youtube vids?

Believe it or not, I'm asking you directly because you seem intellegent.

My question regarding your reasons for leaving the Orange Order is a wee bit personal, and, of course, it's up to you whether you want to answer it or not, but I'm genuinely interested.

I will admit that the question about bowler hats was a wee bit facetious - I do think that the drums, flutes, and whistles are anachronistic - there's something funny about bowler hats, though.

Also, you talked about the link between The Reformation and The Enlightenment - do you know if there are any academic sources on this? I'll bet there are, tbh.

(I do remember reading that a few of The Enlightenment's leading lights were involved in Freemasonry)

Edited by paranoid android

Believe it or not, I'm asking you directly because you seem intellegent.

My question regarding your reasons for leaving the Orange Order is a wee bit personal, and, of course, it's up to you whether you want to answer it or not, but I'm genuinely interested.

Also, you talked about the link between The Reformation and The Enlightenment - do you know if there are any academic sources on this? I'll bet there are, tbh.

(I do remember reading that a few of The Enlightenment's leading lights were involved in Freemasonry)

I am happy to reply to you. I am hardly shy. It may be a bit of a long post, though. Are you OK with that?

I certainly didn't mention either railways nor TBOTB. No idea why you bring this up.

Let me refresh your memory for you:

Yup more significant than all that you mentioned even if you're trying to take the pish at the end of your list.

The list in question being:

:blink:

More significant than the Battles of Britain, Trafalgar, Naseby or Blenheim - to name a few? More significant that the 1832 Reform Act or the 1872 Ballot Act? More significant than D-Day? More significant than the Beveridge Report which led to the NHS & Welfare State? Or the Corn Laws? The South Sea Bubble? The "Railway Mania"?

No pish take by me. All of the above (& plenty more besides) are more significant in terms of British history (in terms of both short & long term impacts) that the Battles of the Boyne, Aughrim, Killiecrankie, & the rest of the whole kit & caboodle of 1688 & All That.

01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110100 01110010 01110101 01110100 01101000 00100000 01101001 01110011 00101100 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110100 01101000 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110000 01101000 01111001 01110011 01101001 01100011 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01101110 01100101 01100100 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01110111 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00101100 00100000 01101001 00101100 00100000 01101111 01110010 00100000 01100001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01100011 01101111 01101110 01110011 01101001 01100100 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110000 01100001 01110011 01110100 00101110

Yup more significant than all that you mentioned even if you're trying to take the pish at the end of your list. The Williamite revolution changed the relationship between parliament and crown. This is a good thing and well worth celebrating by anyone with the least interest in parliamentary democracy.

Does nobody in South Bucks have any interest in celebrating parliamentary democracy? I can't quite understand why the country with the greatest population of the UK seem to have scant disregard for such an event whilst those in specific geographical areas of these islands feel the need to make sure it is celebrated every year and not just on anniversary numbers.

This celebration argument is the biggest lot of shite ever.It's bigots walking the streets looking like arseholes giving it a GIRUY to catholics - but only in geographical pockets of the land.

Celebrate my arse.

I am happy to reply to you. I am hardly shy. It may be a bit of a long post, though. Are you OK with that?

Aye.

OK so here are are few thoughts regarding the OO, The Enlightenment and The Masons.

1, The OO.

I said this before. I joined LOL 328 in Motherwell in 1978 when I was 18. Good guys and lots of laughs. Most lodge member supported Motherwell . A couple supported Airdrie . Me and another member supported Rangers and we’d get the pish taken out of us for being late for lodge meeting after going to Ibox.

I went to Uni in London in 1981 and went to two meeting of the English Lodge “Friends of Ulster LOL No 1688”. They were a right bunch of wee fannies and bigots to boot. I couldn’t thole that so decided to leave.

So I left because I had friends/connections/banter in the Motherwell lodge that wasn’t replicated in the London lodge.

2. Reformation and Enlightenment

For me the essence of Reformation is twofold: independent thought and education. I know that many reformers were less tolerant than I’d like them to be but they did encourage literacy and thinking. This is one of Scotland’s big legacies?

As Joe Devine said about Scotland’s reformation:

Its profound sense of egalitarianism ensured that there would, indeed, be a school in every parish, so that the people would have access to the beauty and the art of the holy texts."

"Complex theological issues were constantly debated in lengthy sermons, learned tracts and public debate."

"Scotland became characterised by fresh and dynamic thinking on law, philosophy and science."

3. Masons.

No opinion. No idea. Couldn’t care less.

I certainly didn't mention either railways nor TBOTB. No idea why you bring this up. The Williamite settlement put parliament in the driving seat. This is why it is revolutionary. This is why it is significant.

I studied history for more years than I care to remember, and teaching on the chain of democracy goes more or less like this -

Athens > Roman republic > Magna Carta > Oliver Cromwell > American and French Revolutions > 1832 > Suffragettes > Welfare state.

Not once in all these years has "the Williamite settlement" come up as a significant milestone. Not once, not even a passing mention.

And that's long before we notice that all of this utter pish about democracy is just a laughably thin veneer you're using to gloss over what is basically an ignorant-as-fvck supremacist drinking session. The only reason you're talking about it is because the alternative is the reality of thousands of thick-as-f**k bigots ganging together out of common hatred.

The idea that even a large minority of these knuckle-dragging cretins know or care about the effect of a minor war on parliamentary democracy is hilarious. They're there to get it right up Timmy as offensively as they can.

Anyone who says differently is lying.

Edited by flyingrodent

Does nobody in South Bucks have any interest in celebrating parliamentary democracy? I can't quite understand why the country with the greatest population of the UK seem to have scant disregard for such an event whilst those in specific geographical areas of these islands feel the need to make sure it is celebrated every year and not just on anniversary numbers.

This celebration argument is the biggest lot of shite ever. It's bigots walking the streets looking like arseholes giving it a GIRUY to catholics - but only in geographical pockets of the land.

Celebrate my arse.

I doubt that anyone could sum it up better than that

And that's long before we notice that all of this utter pish about democracy is just a laughably thin veneer you're using to gloss over what is basically an ignorant-as-fvck supremacist drinking session.

Ok so was there a major constitutional change effected by the 1688 revolution or not?

Edited by The_Kincardine

Ive just watched snippets from a couple of youtube clips of the marches.

We're all gonna get it once kim jong un finds oot that his faither & grandfaither's old army garrison uniforms, that were obviously donated to the west of scotland to help impoverished rangers (old team/new team) fans, are being recycled and used as circus outfits by these obnoxious moronic fannies. The wee wummins in the sweat shops of govan must have done bings of overtime sewing 2 or 3 tops n troosers together to get enough material to fit the XXXXXXL beer-bellied, gargoyled sub-humans they were dressing.

Still, im sure they had a great time promoting Scotland to the rest of the civilised world

Kincardine what is your opinion on the 6th Royal Green Degree? :)

Why do you wear that colour?

What colour?

Royal Green?

Because my apron was green.

Why did you wear an apron?

Because I was ashamed.

Why were you ashamed?

Because I was naked.

Where are you from?

The Garden.

What garden?

The Garden of Eden.

What have you been doing there?

Planting and cultivating it.

Why did you leave the garden?

Because I was thrust out.

Will you return to the garden?

No.

Why not?

Because of a flaming sword that was placed in the east corner of the garden to testify that nothing common or unclean could enter therein.

Where are you going?

To the Mount.

What mount?

Mount Ararat.

How do you intend to get there?

By the benefit of a password.

Have you that password?

I have.

Will you give it to me?

I will, if you begin.

Lo and behold yonder she cometh!

Have you a number?

I have.

What is your number?

Three.

What three?

The three sons of Noah.

Who where they?

Shem, Ham and Joppa.

Do you intend to remain at the mount?

No.

Where are you going?

To the isle.

What isle?

The Isle of Patmos.

How do you intend to get there?

By crossing the Mediterranean.

Have you the Mediterranean Pass.

I have.

Will you give it to me?

The waters are assuaged!

What do you intend to do at the Isle of Patmos.

Labour and till the ground and earn my bread by the sweat of my brow. As you can see by my pick, spade and rake, for dust I am and unto dust I shall return.

Have you the great and grand password of The Knights of Royal Green.

I have.

Will you give it to me?

I did not so obtain it neither will I give it but finding you to be a brother I will word it or divide it with you.

Divide it and begin.

No begin you.

The great arch of the covenant or the rainbow wherein are contained all the colours we now possess!

Edited by Saor Alba