Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

One started out in Dan Winter's cottage in Loughgall during the 1798 Rebellion and the other commemorates the actions of the 13 apprentice boys who closed the gates at the start of the second siege of Londonderry in 1689.

One is steeped in the Anglican Ascendancy in terms of its origins, while the other was more about opposition to the Jacobite claimants to the thrones of the three kingdoms, who interestingly in a Scottish context often tended to be supported by Episcopalians (i.e. Anglicans) as well as Roman Catholics. On the flip side of that over in Ulster, many/most Presbyterians actually sided with the 1798 Rebellion against the Anglican Ascendancy.

In a Scottish context it would be a bit like having different groups for parades about the Wars of Independence and the Covenanters or something like that, but the Orange Order eventually latched onto the Battle of the Boyne as their big thing so I guess that sort of parallel isn't exact.

Interesting how people seem to know so little about what they are able to work up such intense hatred for. One reason that the ABoD is smaller is because you actually have to go to Londonderry to join. 

Agree with most of this, and absolutely agree with your point regarding lack of knowledge and intense hatred.

Dan Winter’s cottage is well worth a visit.  Hilda Winter is a charming, captivating lady and makes the best apple tart known to man.

30 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

One started out in Dan Winter's cottage in Loughgall during the 1798 Rebellion and the other commemorates the actions of the 13 apprentice boys who closed the gates at the start of the second siege of Londonderry in 1689.

One is steeped in the Anglican Ascendancy in terms of its origins, while the other was more about opposition to the Jacobite claimants to the thrones of the three kingdoms, who interestingly in a Scottish context often tended to be supported by Episcopalians (i.e. Anglicans) as well as Roman Catholics. On the flip side of that over in Ulster, many/most Presbyterians actually sided with the 1798 Rebellion against the Anglican Ascendancy.

In a Scottish context it would be a bit like having different groups for parades about the Wars of Independence and the Covenanters or something like that, but the Orange Order eventually latched onto the Battle of the Boyne as their big thing so I guess that sort of parallel isn't exact.

Interesting how people seem to know so little about what they are able to work up such intense hatred for. One reason that the ABoD is smaller is because you actually have to go to Londonderry to join. 

Which mob are the bigger shower of sad bigots? 

22 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Which mob are the bigger shower of sad bigots? 

If the origins of one of them is just anti-Roman Catholic and the other one is also anti-Anglican then the answer to your question will depend on what you think of the Archbishop of Canterbury

But in more important news

Scotland again lost 3 early wickets batting first against the UAE  but this time it was Richie Berrington coming in at 4 that steadied the ship and, with 127 off 136 balls, guided Scotland to a respectable 282

UAE need 160 from 24 overs but are 6 wickets down already so things are looking promising

ETA:

Just after I hit Reply Basil Hameed, the Emirati number 6, deflected the ball into his own stumps

I've upgraded "Promising" to "good"

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

According to the Mahāvaṃsa, the legendary Prince Vijaya named the island now known as Sri Lanka Tambapaṇṇĩ("copper-red hands" or "copper-red earth"), because his followers' hands were reddened by the red soil of the area where he landed

and it’s the Sri Lankans that hold the upper red hand now as they’ve set Ireland a colossal target of 326 in Harare

meanwhile Scotland have scored 320 against  Oman to set a similarly daunting total 

A 3rd defeat for Ireland today would see them and the UAE eliminated while Scotland, Sri Lank and Oman would move on to super six probably facing Zimbabwe, West Indies and the Netherland

Teams that progress from the group stages carry their results against each other into the final six so Scotland vs Oman has even more riding on it

Edinburgh apparently saw  the "John Knox Orange and Purple District LOL Annual Demonstration" last Saturday

But because it clashed with Pride I don't think anybody noticed

In other news Sri Lanka vs Scotland is delicately poised with the Sri Lankans on 157/4 in the 33rd over

On 22/06/2023 at 15:48, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Agree with most of this, and absolutely agree with your point regarding lack of knowledge and intense hatred.

Dan Winter’s cottage is well worth a visit.  Hilda Winter is a charming, captivating lady and makes the best apple tart known to man.

Must have went on a bad day or i met her sister or a neighbour.

One grumpy old lady.

On 22/06/2023 at 15:40, LongTimeLurker said:

Preferred the Mem tour rather than Dan Winters cottage.

Apprentice Boys of Londonderry?

Could add the ABOD was a lot later appearing as an organisation in Scotland.

1903?

1 hour ago, PossilYM said:

Preferred the Mem tour rather than Dan Winters cottage.

Only done the Memorial Hall. Might get around to the other one at some point but still have things like the Giants Causeway to check out as well if I can ever find a reason to visit that part of the world again.

31 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Only done the Memorial Hall. Might get around to the other one at some point but still have things like the Giants Causeway to check out as well if I can ever find a reason to visit that part of the world again.

Take Dr Johnson's word for it. "Worth seeing? Yes; but not worth going to see."

On 27/06/2023 at 22:10, LongTimeLurker said:

The Siege Museum is terrific.

Given A) the bright colour traditionally associated with these events and B) the level of delusion involved in the participants belief that these events are anything but an irrelevance to most folk, I propose that from now on they be referred to as Fanta-sy parades.

Cheers.

I think I need a beer.

37 minutes ago, HTG said:

Scotland have got the Windies at 63/5 just now. 

81/6 now

This isn’t a vintage Windies side by any means 

they lost to the Netherlands on a super over so I thought we had a chance here

but I don’t think anybody expected things to go this well