Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

I would suggest that this gimmick of building bigger and bigger piles of pallets is to try and gain traction with the youth of Northern Ireland. 

Let’s face it, it’s an organisation in decline. Membership has dropped by 70% in the last 50 years as people become more enlightened. 

I mean are the KKK allowed to march through the streets of Alabama? If not why not ? 

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

I thought Guy Fawkes night was about celebrating him getting caught. 

I understand that, but most people who "celebrate" it just do it for fun, rather than historical significance. You don't get many Catholics going to the walk because they like the uniforms and tunes.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I understand that, but most people who "celebrate" it just do it for fun, rather than historical significance. You don't get many Catholics going to the walk because they like the uniforms and tunes.

Yeah, it’s pretty much Fireworks Night now. 

I don’t understand the whole marching thing. Not the culture, the context nor the purpose. Never seen one. Don’t want to either. Looks like some boring primitive shit.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

On two occasions I've been in Glasgow and chanced across these backward events.

It was actually quite liberating giving these mutants the w****r sign while they waddled along. Also managed to cross their ranks, which for some strange reason infuriates them.

Hiya @CarrbridgeSaintee Hiya pal. How long before the next dotting account? 😂

57 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I would suggest that this gimmick of building bigger and bigger piles of pallets is to try and gain traction with the youth of Northern Ireland. 

image.jpeg.f56efb7ed5330fb35721c10f8c8eb881.jpeg

I can assure you I've never heard of anyone called @Stevie Kirk, much less read their posts on any peasant soccer forum. Of course I come to pallet yards all the time, doesn't everyone?

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Why do they burn pallets?

5 monkeys were placed in a cage as part of an experiment. In the middle of the cage was a ladder with bananas on the top rung. Every time a monkey tried to climb the ladder, the experimenter sprayed all of the monkeys with icy water. Eventually, each time a monkey started to climb the ladder, the other ones pulled him off and beat him up so they could avoid the icy spray. Soon, no monkey dared go up the ladder.

The experimenter then substituted one of the monkeys in the cage with a new monkey. The first thing the new monkey did was try to climb the ladder to reach the bananas. After several beatings, the new monkey learned the social norm. He never knew “why” the other monkeys wouldn’t let him go for the bananas because he had never been sprayed with ice water, but he quickly learned that this behaviour would not be tolerated by the other monkeys.

One by one, each of the monkeys in the cage was substituted for a new monkey until none of the original group remained. Every time a new monkey went up the ladder, the rest of the group pulled him off, even those who had never been sprayed with the icy water.

By the end of the experiment, the 5 monkeys in the cage had learned to follow the rule (don’t go for the bananas), without any of them knowing the reason why (we’ll all get sprayed by icy water). If we could have asked the monkeys for their rationale behind not letting their cage mates climb the ladder, their answer would probably be: “It's our tradition”

5 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

5 monkeys were placed in a cage as part of an experiment. In the middle of the cage was a ladder with bananas on the top rung. Every time a monkey tried to climb the ladder, the experimenter sprayed all of the monkeys with icy water. Eventually, each time a monkey started to climb the ladder, the other ones pulled him off and beat him up so they could avoid the icy spray. Soon, no monkey dared go up the ladder.

image.jpeg.08dea9e3970899b7ea918064b5afb8f1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Why do they burn pallets?

It goes way way back in time, all the way back to the 70s and some say its pa misunderstanding involving a palate

findus-crispy-pancakes.jpg

8 hours ago, Cheese said:

20240709_162649.thumb.jpg.0d018bf8d1e6c8d489aba9f252b0530f.jpg

That looks exceedingly sketchy never mind if it topples over can’t be that great for the air quality in the local area. 

Will have been mentioned before but I love that they celebrate King Billy’s famous victory at the Boyne and either don’t know or don’t care that the entirety of the river is in a different (totally 100 percent, not at all the same, absolutely no link in anyway way shape or form) country. It’s not even in Ulster. 

17 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The Catholic Church back in the day was very much behind old Billy Boy

Aye, a move to offset the power of France, which the Pope felt was becoming too powerful.

45 minutes ago, Peil said:

Aye, a move to offset the power of France, which the Pope felt was becoming too powerful.

Although he was presumably far more concerned with the ongoing war across the Adriatic in the Balkans than some windswept islands at the north eastern edge of the continent.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

14 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Screenshot_20240709_211505_Facebook.jpg

Gammon faced c***s march around & yet did f**k all when their club died.

18 hours ago, coprolite said:

I don’t understand the whole marching thing. Not the culture, the context nor the purpose. Never seen one. Don’t want to either. Looks like some boring primitive shit.

At a primitive level it's marking out your territory

Not entirely dissimilar to the common ridings in the Border Towns which were originally a ceremonial marking of the boundaries. Saying "this bit is ours!, not yours" 500 years ago at a time when these thing had to regularly be made clear

The crucial difference is that  nobody is disputing territory of borders towns any more so it doesn't have that confrontational edge. It's a day for anybody with a horse to go on an early morning ride and then the entire town to get plastered in the name of civic pride.

Photo by Lauder Common Riding, caption reads: Lauder Common Riding Photo: Phil Wilkinson

^^^ Lauder

Selkirk Common Riding 2023 - Explore Selkirk
^^^ Selkirk

If you come from a small borders town where not much happens in the rest of the year then these things are a big deal

Edinburgh has one as well but it's the month after the Festival and Fringe so most people who aren't into equestrianism aren't even aware of it. I only found out about it by accident when I happened to be in their path
SCT_MARCHES02.jpg?resize=1068%2C724&ssl=1
^Holyrood Park

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

At a primitive level it's marking out your territory

Not entirely dissimilar to the common ridings in the Border Towns which were originally a ceremonial marking of the boundaries. Saying "this bit is ours!, not yours" 500 years ago at a time when these thing had to regularly be made clear

The crucial difference is that  nobody is disputing territory of borders towns any more so it doesn't have that confrontational edge. It's a day for anybody with a horse to go on an early morning ride and then the entire town to get plastered in the name of civic pride.

Photo by Lauder Common Riding, caption reads: Lauder Common Riding Photo: Phil Wilkinson

^^^ Lauder

Selkirk Common Riding 2023 - Explore Selkirk
^^^ Selkirk

If you come from a small borders town where not much happens in the rest of the year then these things are a big deal

Edinburgh has one as well but it's the month after the Festival and Fringe so most people who aren't into equestrianism aren't even aware of it. I only found out about it by accident when I happened to be in their path
SCT_MARCHES02.jpg?resize=1068%2C724&ssl=1
^Holyrood Park

Selkirk looks like a shite Mecca