Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

Pretty embarrassing that Ireland play cricket tbh. That type of behaviour's really for the soup taking English colonies like Australia, Bangladesh and Scotland.

My late grandfather was from kilkenny in the south east of Ireland, and when he was a young man in the 1910s/1920s cricket was the number one sport in that county and was what he played. Then the Irish war of independence started and playing cricket was not the cleverest thing to do.

'The telephone call which changed my life was not even made to me. It was late afternoon on August 21 2002, when "he" called the BBC's office at Ormeau Avenue in Belfast. He didn't say his name - they never do - but left enough hints as to his background. His message was brief and to the point: "This is the LVF [Loyalist Volunteer Force]. If Neil Lennon takes the field tonight he will get seriously hurt."'

Trust me, if something like that happens over here you would be a fucking idiot to take it lightly.

That phone call was made from a public pay phone in Newtownabbey.

That's ignoring the amount of what appears to be clear conjecture that went into the post, clearly pointed at making Lennon out to be a jessie, the UVF and LVF and all the rest to be good eggs really whose public statements can be trusted without scrutiny, and Neil Lennon basically barring the path to world peace by taking a death threat seriously.

Basically I read it as 'Then Lennon says "Am I gonna be safe?" 'Then the police were like "You'll be fine coz the guy who phoned the BBC with a death threat giggled but you might get hit off a bus on the field or something so we cannae say you'll be fine or we might get sued if you get hit off a bus" Then he says "Ah f**k that, I wanna play for a United Ireland anyway" then the police says "Your decision has probably caused the continuation of The Troubles as you would've taught all communities the way of peace if you went out to get booed off the type of folk who draw pictures of you being lynched and phone the BBC with death threats but it's up to you mate"

That is not what i am saying at all. What i am doing is presenting you with the simple facts. I am not blaming Lennon at all and quite possibly i would have taken the same course of action as he did in the same circumstances.

Here is just one quote i found from somebody who should know the truth of the matter..

A QUESTION mark still hung over Neil Lennon's international football career today - despite a message from the LVF that the death threat made in its name was a hoax.

The Northern Ireland midfielder was forced to withdraw from last night's friendly against Cyprus in Belfast after a caller claiming to represent the LVF said Lennon would be murdered if he took the field.

But Pastor Kenny McClinton, an officially recognised mediator for the government with the LVF, said he and another mediator made numerous calls to ascertain where the threat had come from, and determined it was "a mischievous hoax".

ETA....It really wasn't that difficult to find.

Mr McClinton said the terrorist group's leadership had assured him that it had not issued any threat.

He said: "I have tracked down the ruling army council and they totally repudiate this death threat against a sportsman."

Mr McClinton, who leads the Ulster American Christian Fellowship in the Lurgan area, County Armagh, said LVF chiefs had voiced anger that the person responsible had used their organisation's name.

And yesterday, a spokesman for the LVF's army council also denied any involvement with the Lennon incident.

The statement said: "The LVF wish to publicly put on record that it did not issue any death threat against the Northern Ireland footballer, Neil Lennon. The alleged phone call containing the threat against Neil Lennon was not accompanied by a recognised LVF codeword.

"It is irresponsible that blame for the incident has been laid at the door of the LVF by the security forces when there was patently no evidence to suggest that this was in fact the case."

Edited by No8.

And I think what the OP is saying is that you have no way of knowing whether or not the actual threat was a hoax. Clearly the people making the threat didn't represent the organization that they claimed to. That doesn't mean the threat itself should not be taken seriously, as apparently you yourself agree with. So, again, why did you even bring up Neil Lennon in the first place? It's been many many years since this took place. Are you still seething about it?

Pretty embarrassing that Ireland play cricket tbh. That type of behaviour's really for the soup taking English colonies like Australia, Bangladesh and Scotland.

Any chance you could explain that remark? That might provide some light entertainment if nothing else. On the one hand people like you will wax lyrical about the need for Irish unity, then on the other the mask slips in a way that makes it very clear that there would be no place in your brave new world for people who don't fit the mould of your narrow nationalism.

Any chance you could explain that remark? That might provide some light entertainment if nothing else. On the one hand people like you will wax lyrical about the need for Irish unity, then on the other the mask slips in a way that makes it very clear that there would be no place in your brave new world for people who don't fit the mould of your narrow nationalism.

I just personally don't see the point in having your own country if you're going to play cricket in it.

Good to know that you've spotted what 'people like me' do btw. Manys an hour I while away waxing lyrical about the need for Irish unity. People like you obviously don't spot when someone is joking. Clearly I know that the Scotch make their own soup.

I know enough about Irish nationalism to know what the reference to soup was all about. People of Irish Gael extraction who have converted to Protestantism are often referred to as "soupers" due to a widespread mythology that Protestant evangelists offered soup to poor Irish RCs during the Famine as long as they agreed to convert.

http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.com/2010/06/eoghan-harris-obama-is-literally-black.html

I know enough about Irish nationalism to know what the reference to soup was all about. People of Irish Gael extraction who have converted to Protestantism are often referred to as "soupers" due to a widespread mythology that Protestant evangelists offered soup to poor Irish RCs during the Famine as long as they agreed to convert.

http://clericalwhispers.blogspot.com/2010/06/eoghan-harris-obama-is-literally-black.html

Yes, and every colony such as Scotland, New Zealand, India and South Africa takes soup in the form of cricket and Commonwealth Games. Gambia, Ireland and the USA are pretty much the only non soup-taking colonies.

Also I would point out that everyone knows what soup-taker means these days, thanks to Seamus and the Green Brigade liberally using it to describe people who back the Celtic board.

Scotland has never been an English colony and respect goes to people like Belfast_Tim from Republican strongholds who are open-minded enough (can't believe I just wrote that) to play and watch cricket because they enjoy it regardless of what nationalist zealots have to say about it. Here's a news flash for you. Football/soccer was traditionally viewed as being a "garrison sport". If you really want to avoid being a "souper" you should probably be following hurling and Gaelic football rather than posting on here.

Scotland has never been an English colony and respect goes to people like Belfast_Tim from Republican strongholds who are open-minded enough (can't believe I just wrote that) to play and watch cricket because they enjoy it regardless of what nationalist zealots have to say about it. Here's a news flash for you. Football/soccer was traditionally viewed as being a "garrison sport". If you really want to avoid being a "souper" you should probably be following hurling and Gaelic football rather than posting on here.

I think I previously pointed out I wasn't being serious and yet you're still hammering away.

• 4 weeks later...