Wild Camping

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd bump this and add a link to a Facebook page that popped up on my timeline. Looks like the ban on Loch Lomond and (I think) Loch Earn has pushed the wee Ned b*****ds further north to Glen Etive. Pretty terrible stuff; https://m.facebook.com/Glenetivethedirtytruth

The ban just now covers the east shore of Loch Lomond up to Ptarmigan Lodge. Loch Lubnaig has become permit camping only. Plans are afoot to try and ban camping at Voil, Venachar and Earn, and I suppose Achray and Drunkie since they are right next to Venachar.

Loch Earn gets the most neds at the moment in that area, was an attempted murder there last year. It's okay during the week if you camp away from the shore.

Group of us going for a camp in a few weeks. We camped at Loch Tay last year but I have my eye on somewhere a bit more secluded, away from a road and more remote this time. We were lucky to get a decent pitch well away from others last year.

It's at the end of a road so you'd have to be going there to get there, as it were. I've been there a few times before, not for camping, and we've been the only soles there. Keeping well away from Loch Lomond & Trossachs NP, don't want to encounter these scummy types.

On a slightly related note are bothies going out of fashion? Twice in June I stayed in what I would describe as a roadside bothy( within an hour of the road) on a weekend and had the place to myself.

I suspected one of the unintended consequences of the loch lokond ban was to spread the problem elsewhere. I wonder if there is any merit to the honeypot argument of at least keeping it all in one place but properly policed.

On a slightly related note are bothies going out of fashion? Twice in June I stayed in what I would describe as a roadside bothy( within an hour of the road) on a weekend and had the place to myself.

I suspected one of the unintended consequences of the loch lokond ban was to spread the problem elsewhere. I wonder if there is any merit to the honeypot argument of at least keeping it all in one place but properly policed.

The south of Scotland bothies get a lot of nutters using them. Groups turning up with massive carry-outs and not willing to share a bothy. A lot of the bothies down there are near a road end, and the nearer to a parking spot somewhere is, the more likely it will be infested by bams.

The south of Scotland bothies get a lot of nutters using them. Groups turning up with massive carry-outs and not willing to share a bothy. A lot of the bothies down there are near a road end, and the nearer to a parking spot somewhere is, the more likely it will be infested by bams.

Aye the Merrick Bothy at Glen Trool is like that.

Last time i walked up the hill i had a look in the refurbished Bothy and all that was in there was a huge stash of empty cans and bottles that had been set on fire on the floor.Some other hillwalker had left a note for them incase they came back.

I know a bunch of guys who have been going camping at Loch Earn for about twenty years or so.

This year one of them came back minus his four front teeth and another had a knife pulled on him.

I know a bunch of guys who have been going camping at Loch Earn for about twenty years or so.

This year one of them came back minus his four front teeth and another had a knife pulled on him.

That's what neds do get pissed and batter each other

• 1 year later...

Me and a group of pals have hired a 16 seater minibus to loch tay. Is there any spots that anyone can recommend to us suitable for a group of 15-20 guys that will probably have music on , a fire and a few bevvies into the wee hours ??? Cheers

Go south young man. Glen Trool is really nice. Loch Doon too but watch out for them Dalmellington hillbilly's.

Disappointed I hadn't heard of this place 3 weeks ago.

Me and a group of pals have hired a 16 seater minibus to loch tay. Is there any spots that anyone can recommend to us suitable for a group of 15-20 guys that will probably have music on , a fire and a few bevvies into the wee hours ??? Cheers

Not really. You can probably expect a visit from the police with that many people.

East end of Loch Laggan. Huge beach to camp on with plenty fire wood around. If there are a few of you its great for a kick about too. Been wild camping a few times and this was my favourite spot. You leave the car just off the main road and walk over a bridge and it's about 5 mins walk to beach. Views are stunning, and it's the setting for Monarch of the glen.

Archived