The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

J.J. Abrams was the guy who did Coverfield right? I quite liked that, when will the new Star Wars films be getting made/released?

He produced it.

I don't like Abrams (I may have mentioned it before). He wants to be the lovechild of Lucas-Spielberg but he's never going to be anything more than a distinctly average director - that's being optimistic - and a poor writer. Time-travel and alternate universes are all he can really come up with (and lens flares), so I won't hold my breath for a half decent plot in the forthcoming films - at least the ideas surrounding the prequel trilogy were good, they just weren't executed well.

Edit:

Someone may pick me up on the Lucas point (particularly the "average director/poor writer" bit) but he is a creative person. He may have tarnished his reputation with his continuous meddling with and milking of the original Star Wars trilogy, and he's been involved in some disasters (prequels and Indy 4) but he's had more hits than misses as far as I'm concerned.

I liked THX 1138, American Graffiti, the Star Wars original trilogy and the original Indiana Jones trilogy.

Edited by yoda

He produced it.

I don't like Abrams (I may have mentioned it before). He wants to be the lovechild of Lucas-Spielberg but he's never going to be anything more than a distinctly average director - that's being optimistic - and a poor writer. Time-travel and alternate universes are all he can really come up with (and lens flares), so I won't hold my breath for a half decent plot in the forthcoming films - at least the ideas surrounding the prequel trilogy were good, they just weren't executed well.

The screenplay is being written by the guy who wrote Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3 Michael Arndt. Abrams can't mess it up that badly can he?

The prequels were badly written, badly acted and didn't explain anything well, hopefully they actually have a proper main character rather than the mess of the last one. And nothing to do about space taxes hopefully, and no Jar Jar Binks

Edited by Sloop John B

The prequels were badly written, badly acted and didn't explain anything well, hopefully they actually have a proper main character rather than the mess of the last one. And nothing to do about space taxes hopefully, and no Jar Jar Binks

Badly acted? If you take out Hayden Christiansen then the prequels weren't badly acted. McGregor, Portman, Jackson, Lee, McDiarmid all gave good performances.

I would agree with Yoda in that Abrams uses alternate dimensions and time travel too much. Even though I love Lost and Fringe, they became worse because of those two plot lines. If he isn't writing then it should be alright as I think he's a good enough director.

People just trot out "lens flares" whenever Abrams is mentioned now, it very tedious.

It's a fair criticism. He likes to make things shiny and cluttered. He'll have a key creative role in this and that's not a good thing, even if he isn't writing the script. It should have been an all Pixar affair IMO: Pixar director and Pixar writer.

FWIW, I thought Star Trek was alright.

Badly acted? If you take out Hayden Christiansen then the prequels weren't badly acted. McGregor, Portman, Jackson, Lee, McDiarmid all gave good performances.

I would agree with Yoda in that Abrams uses alternate dimensions and time travel too much. Even though I love Lost and Fringe, they became worse because of those two plot lines. If he isn't writing then it should be alright as I think he's a good enough director.

I wasn't a fan of Obi Wan and Padme but that could have been just the badly written script or just acting with Hayden Christian having an effect on them. But Obi Wan didn't really seem friends with Anakin and Padme and anakin was one of the most awkward romances ever. But it'll probably be ok without George Lucas.

I hated Star Trek. The bridge of the Enterprise looked like a poncy North London design studio in a warehouse conversion.

Much agreed.

Is there anyone better out there though? Good news imo.

People it could of been far worse, Michael Bay anyone?

Anyway considering the amount of homage that went into Star Trek including the amount of detail taken to recreate teh look and feel of the likes of Spock im pretty happy with this appointment

Interesting that Ben Afflek just missed out on directing them. How would people have taken to that?

Abrams is a better choice. Well, a less risky choice given that Abrams pretty much solely does sci-fi. Whereas Affleck's only experience of sci-fi or space films is Paycheck and Armageddon. death.gif

edit: Oh god, I hadn't thought about Michael Bay getting it. The prequels would be held as classics compared to any Bay efforts.

Edited by forehead7

, when will the new Star Wars films be getting made/released?

Someone please answer this.

ETA: Did a bit of research myself and got this....

Variety announced that the seventh Star Wars movie will be released by Disney in 2015, after Disney bought George Lucas’ Lucasfilm for $4 billion in October.

Edited by Ayr_United_1910