The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

Not a reader of the Star Wars novels but I do remember Dark Horse doing a mini series years ago called "Dark Empire", which I read and enjoyed, the more I hear about the new film the more it sounds like some of that story is getting used, can anybody confirm???

Edited by King Kebab

Lucas won't let any of the books be used, so everything in the Extended Universe after ROTJ is not considered canon any longer.

However I wouldn't be surprised to see elements of some stories be used, as there are a lot of really cracking ones written.

Not a reader of the Star Wars novels but I do remember Dark Horse doing a mini series years ago called "Dark Empire", which I read and enjoyed, the more I hear about the new film the more it sounds like some of that story is getting used, can anybody confirm???

Not from what I have heard, though some ideas from the Expanded Universe are floating about.

Some fairly nailed-on plot ideas to be plucked from the EU seem to be...

more superweapons, an attempt to form a New Republic, Han and Leia having offspring, Luke forming a jedi academy...

Edited by cmontheloknow

Not from what I have heard, though some ideas from the Expanded Universe are floating about.

Some fairly nailed-on plot ideas to be plucked from the EU seem to be...

more superweapons, an attempt to form a New Republic, Han and Leia having offspring, Luke forming a jedi academy...

That sounds like "Dark Empire" pretty much nailed on!!!

Or any other expanded universe story ever.

Yeah but there is a slight variation:

All of those attempts are failures as of the start of the new film...

Whereas in the EU...

all was rosy in the garden and from what I understand, that is not the case in TFA.

If you want spoilerific specifics...

apparently Han and Leia will no longer be a couple (for whatever reason) and there will be no immediate evidence of their offspring, the Jedi Academy students have been massacred at some point between ROTJ and TFA and any attempts to revive the Jedi order by Luke are backburnered - it would seem to be their funeral pyre burning in the trailer. As for superweapons, both the Resistance (not the New Republic any more, again for reasons unknown) and the New Order seem to have them but they also seem to be more basic than the Death Star.

Spoilers are a bit vague compared to the prequels which is quite good I suppose but the basic outline of what happens is out there.

I'm one movie in. Off to see Child 44 today, so need to get home before I can complete the set. Thankfully I'm on the night shift, so I'll be staying up till about 10am tomorrow. Star Wars all the way through.

The Vanity Fair website has some pictures:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/star-wars-the-force-awakens-vanity-fair-cover

The interesting pics (scrolling gallery at bottom) are of...

• BB-8, Finn (John Boyega), Rey (Daisy Ridley), Chewie and Han in the Falcon
  • Oscar Isaac as Resistance pilot Poe Dameron
  • A collection of undesirables at Maz Kanata's castle
  • Lupita Nyong'o being mo-capped (as Maz Kanata - who was the orange alien in the trailer that handed over the lightsabre)
  • Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) and two snowtroopers
  • Rey on planet Jakku

Interestingly (or perhaps not), someone unearthed the fact that the name...

Kylo Ren

was pretty much used in the cartoon series Droids

Edited by cmontheloknow

• 1 month later...

How long til we get it? I persevered with S1 but it was a bit pants IMO.

Who knows. I actually though the first episode was pretty good.

It does help that you're now into major characters coming back into play and more of a story line than before since they've not actually joined the rebel alliance sort of.