The Star Wars thread (includes spoilers for IX)

Quentin Taranbino

Saw Rogue One (unbelievably) for first time yesterday. Absolutely class. 

Spoiler

- The Vader scene at the end was UNREAL. I'm really glad that there is finally screen time to show his true power. 

- Can't get my head round why they didn't stick one of those planet shields round the Death Star?? Could have put a gate round where the laser will be shot...

Edited by AberdeenHibee

1 hour ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Hide contents

- The Vader scene at the end was UNREAL. I'm really glad that there is finally screen time to show his true power. 

- Can't get my head round why they didn't stick one of those planet shields round the Death Star?? Could have put a gate round where the laser will be shot...

they didnt know there was a weakness

14 hours ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Hide contents

The only thing about the Vader scene at the end (as awesome as it is), is it now begs the question of why is he such an absolute badass there, but come the start of A New Hope is he no longer such an unstoppable force?  It's a bit of a picky thing to be bringing up but the Vader at the end of RO would absolutely annihilate Obi Wan on the Death Star rather than lumber about him.

54 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Reveal hidden contents

The only thing about the Vader scene at the end (as awesome as it is), is it now begs the question of why is he such an absolute badass there, but come the start of A New Hope is he no longer such an unstoppable force?  It's a bit of a picky thing to be bringing up but the Vader at the end of RO would absolutely annihilate Obi Wan on the Death Star rather than lumber about him.

He may have held back a bit in the scrap with Obi Wan, given the result the last time they had faced each other!

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

There were theories circulating with the main Kylo Ren arc, that killing his Dad made him weaker for the fight against Rey, instead of the cutting ties with his light past making him stronger.

You could argue with Vader it could be the same, having his old master around still conflicted him, whether he was aware of it or not, as did probably fighting Luke as well. It's like Obi-Wan's re-appearance made the initial the cracks of him going back to the light side of the force.

35 minutes ago, the jambo-rocker said:
  Reveal hidden contents

There were theories circulating with the main Kylo Ren arc, that killing his Dad made him weaker for the fight against Rey, instead of the cutting ties with his light past making him stronger.

You could argue with Vader it could be the same, having his old master around still conflicted him, whether he was aware of it or not, as did probably fighting Luke as well. It's like Obi-Wan's re-appearance made the initial the cracks of him going back to the light side of the force.

50 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Reveal hidden contents

He may have held back a bit in the scrap with Obi Wan, given the result the last time they had faced each other!

One theory that I liked was that we saw him in his Bacta tank during Rogue One so when we see him in action he's been "healed" and is in tip top condition, but that he constantly needs to get back in to it to keep his condition up, so by the time we see him in A New Hope the effects are starting to wear off

Star Wars Episode VIII : The Last Jedi

Episode IX: Return of the Jedi.

I'm really hoping that this isn't just going to be a retelling of Empire Strikes Back but fear the worst based on how similar episode 7 was to a New Hope and that title.

Episode IX: Return of the Jedi.

I'm really hoping that this isn't just going to be a retelling of Empire Strikes Back but fear the worst based on how similar episode 7 was to a New Hope and that title.

This is the big one for me. If they play it safe like 7 then I think it'll be regarded as a massive disappointment. A new generation of characters, planets etc has been created through 7 despite its fairly derivative plot. Time to go big or go home, Disney.

The plural of Jedi is also Jedi, so the Last Jedi could refer to Luke, Leia, Rey and anyone else rather than just one individual.

I don't mind the name at all.  Just show us a trailer already!

16 hours ago, mizfit said:

I think it'll be a bit of both to be honest, I'm expecting Luke to die and leave Rey alone with Finn to try and resurrect a failing rebellion.

dont think they'll kill off luke, he is the last remaining link to the original trilogy now that fisher kicked the bucket, also if they kill off luke the future storylines would be hard pressed to contain any jedi storylines given that no one else would know how to train them up etc

4 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

dont think they'll kill off luke, he is the last remaining link to the original trilogy now that fisher kicked the bucket, also if they kill off luke the future storylines would be hard pressed to contain any jedi storylines given that no one else would know how to train them up etc

The last link? What about Chewie, R2 and 3P0?

Also Kylo Ren might know how to train them...