Car advice

Just now, Pearbuyerbell said:

I think the FX is the jeep thing.  It's an ugly car.   Lexus are mentioned as the best car manufacturer in the world for a reason.  Autocar says they have 4 out the top 10 most reliable in the world.   

Experience lets me think that Toyota and Lexus are the world leaders in cars.   Kia are decent.   I actually liked Proton.   

Anyone buying a Fiat 500, Clio, Corsa over a Yaris is basically an idiot.  

#camchain 

Yeah, its a 2003 Gold thing, a proper horror with handbrake shoes that rot onto the back plate.

And I agree. Toyota, Lexus, Honda all shite on European cars from a distance. The VW/Audi 1.6TDi engines are some of the worst on the road

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I honestly don't know what price that would be, its not a common job. Have done 75% of that job on a Volvo, and it does take a hell of a long time to get in about those engines though, so imagine the labour would be pretty big. We usually just get heads reconditioned instead of buying new ones or second hand ones, but it can be dependent on exactly whats happened to them.

It sounds like the Alternator belt has broken/come off, been sucked in behind the Crankshaft pulley and jammed it up, which has caused the timing to go out, and your valves to hit the pistons. The engine would turn if they're bent enough, but it wouldnt run. The "rough" feeling would be it pressing against the bent valves, probably feels like the engines about to lock up but just puses by the "tight spot".

Its not uncommon on Volvos, sadly. Never seen it with a new belt tbh, but if it was faulty workmanship then it wouldve shown before now, unless you've only done ten miles?

And the Camshaft wont have come out the head, its stronger than the valves which would break/bend before the Cams broke (unless something far more serious occurred). The cams will have to be removed to sort it though.

Thanks for that.

33 minutes ago, 1 Team in Glasgow said:

Troops, looking for some advice about a wheel locking nut key which I have lost for my Renault Clio.

Called Arnold Clark who I bought the car from and they have said that a replacement key cannot be ordered. To solve this issue, they would need to drill out the locking nuts from each of my tyres and put in standard replacements, at a cost of £100.

To my uneducated mind this seems like a lot of money for 4 new bolts. My question is this, are they at it and are trying to fleece me, or are they correct? Would it be cheaper if I got another mechanic to do this? Any help greatly appreciated!

I went to my local garage with a puncture. Only then did I find there was no key. The guy took them all off for £20, that's including puncture repair

Edited by whiskychimp

Thanks for that.

Sorry if it's not much help.

Troops, looking for some advice about a wheel locking nut key which I have lost for my Renault Clio.
Called Arnold Clark who I bought the car from and they have said that a replacement key cannot be ordered. To solve this issue, they would need to drill out the locking nuts from each of my tyres and put in standard replacements, at a cost of £100.
To my uneducated mind this seems like a lot of money for 4 new bolts. My question is this, are they at it and are trying to fleece me, or are they correct? Would it be cheaper if I got another mechanic to do this? Any help greatly appreciated!

You'll be cheaper at an independent.

4 hours ago, 1 Team in Glasgow said:

Get a locking wheel nut remover and 4 replacment standerd bolts. Who nicks alloys nowadays anyway?

Cost you about £30 from Halfords.

On 20 June 2017 at 23:26, RandomGuy. said:

I honestly don't know what price that would be, its not a common job. Have done 75% of that job on a Volvo, and it does take a hell of a long time to get in about those engines though, so imagine the labour would be pretty big. We usually just get heads reconditioned instead of buying new ones or second hand ones, but it can be dependent on exactly whats happened to them.

It sounds like the Alternator belt has broken/come off, been sucked in behind the Crankshaft pulley and jammed it up, which has caused the timing to go out, and your valves to hit the pistons. The engine would turn if they're bent enough, but it wouldnt run. The "rough" feeling would be it pressing against the bent valves, probably feels like the engines about to lock up but just puses by the "tight spot".

Its not uncommon on Volvos, sadly. Never seen it with a new belt tbh, but if it was faulty workmanship then it wouldve shown before now, unless you've only done ten miles?

And the Camshaft wont have come out the head, its stronger than the valves which would break/bend before the Cams broke (unless something far more serious occurred). The cams will have to be removed to sort it though.

Mechanic has now said that he cannot get a hold of a D3 2.0L cylinder head and will have to go to Volvo for it. Be as well going to Volvo myself and putting the car into them.

On 6/22/2017 at 07:26, johnnydun said:

Mechanic has now said that he cannot get a hold of a D3 2.0L cylinder head and will have to go to Volvo for it. Be as well going to Volvo myself and putting the car into them.

I told you what to do earlier.

I just know that if I leave it to get torched, something will void my insurance, like I said in my application form that I had size 11 feet, when I really have size 10 or some fucking obscure shit like that.

Its just my fuckin luck!

• 2 months later...

Looking for some thoughts from the PnB collective.

Had my car for a good while now, it is an old yin, a 54' plate Nissan Almera which has never caused me too much bother over the years (I've owned since 2010). It only has 78,000 on the clock, not much for a 13 year old car I gather. That said, central locking doesn't work anymore, paint work is shagged, airbag warning light been coming on for a while which I've ignored as had plenty of time to fix (no longer the case). It has never failed to start and never broken down on me and I love it and haven't really been preparing myself for the day I'd have to let it go. I don't use it all that often, but couldn't do without a car as I occasionally drive for work and such like.

I was driving it home the other day and the oil pressure warning came on. Was only about 0.5 miles from home so got it back and checked the dip stick, right enough it was low on oil so planned to get a carton to top up and get it seen to later on (MOT is due before 3rd October). I came down to it yesterday and noticed a large wet patch on the ground next to the drivers tyre etc - so in fact it was a large oil leak, not just low on oil.

As mentioned it is getting on, and MOT due within next month. I am now of a mind not to even take it to a garage as I think the work that will need done (leak repair and air bags) plus possible other work needing done to get it through MOT that isn't currently known about, will exceed what it is worth, as in all likelihood it might not last the year even if it does get through MOT etc without excessive costs.

Have looked into it and of those within my rough budget, I know Vauxhall and Ford are currently running scrappage schemes that would land me around £2k for the car in its current condition - far more than it would be worth to privately sell and with MOT date looming. No government sponsored scrappage scheme yet which would open up a wider range of manufacturers for me, although it is rumored one is in the offing.

So apologies for tl;dr post, but what are people's thoughts? Should I take it to garage to get a quote for the work and then make a decision on whether I feel it worthwhile and take the risk it lasts through? Or take advantage of scrappage deal through Vauxhall/Ford and get a new car. Or is there a better 3rd option I am perhaps not aware of?

Help appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Super_J said:

Had my car for a good while now, it is an old yin, a 54' plate Nissan Almera which has never caused me too much bother over the years (I've owned since 2010). It only has 78,000 on the clock, not much for a 13 year old car I gather. That said, central locking doesn't work anymore, paint work is shagged, airbag warning light been coming on for a while which I've ignored as had plenty of time to fix (no longer the case). It has never failed to start and never broken down on me and I love it and haven't really been preparing myself for the day I'd have to let it go. I don't use it all that often, but couldn't do without a car as I occasionally drive for work and such like.

I was driving it home the other day and the oil pressure warning came on. Was only about 0.5 miles from home so got it back and checked the dip stick, right enough it was low on oil so planned to get a carton to top up and get it seen to later on (MOT is due before 3rd October). I came down to it yesterday and noticed a large wet patch on the ground next to the drivers tyre etc - so in fact it was a large oil leak, not just low on oil.

As mentioned it is getting on, and MOT due within next month. I am now of a mind not to even take it to a garage as I think the work that will need done (leak repair and air bags) plus possible other work needing done to get it through MOT that isn't currently known about, will exceed what it is worth, as in all likelihood it might not last the year even if it does get through MOT etc without excessive costs.

Have looked into it and of those within my rough budget, I know Vauxhall and Ford are currently running scrappage schemes that would land me around £2k for the car in its current condition - far more than it would be worth to privately sell and with MOT date looming. No government sponsored scrappage scheme yet which would open up a wider range of manufacturers for me, although it is rumored one is in the offing.

So apologies for tl;dr post, but what are people's thoughts? Should I take it to garage to get a quote for the work and then make a decision on whether I feel it worthwhile and take the risk it lasts through? Or take advantage of scrappage deal through Vauxhall/Ford and get a new car. Or is there a better 3rd option I am perhaps not aware of?

Help appreciated.

I think the scrappage deal is only if you're buying a brand new car. If you were thinking of that anyway I'd go ahead, your Nissan will be worth f**k all even if it's fixable. Had a 10 year old Nissan Micra with zero wrong with it apart from a few bumps, only got a few hundred in part exchange.

15 minutes ago, Super_J said:

Help appreciated.

The £2k scrappage scheme is a good marketing ploy but you'll knock £2k off the price of a new car easily with almost any manufacturer. Loads of dealers will have stuff in stock they need to shift and don't be surprised to find brand new stuff with a good few grand knocked off. Ford may offer you a car at full price but give you £2k for yours. Go in to Seat or Mazda for example and they might give you £400 for yours but £4k off the list price of an equivalent to the Ford/Vauxhall.  

Edited by Shandon Par

Help appreciated.

Have you tried putting the windows down and heating on full blast?