Car advice

Somehow I burnt out my windscreen washer pump and the fuse went (i tried that first) and i was quoted £80 for a new one including labour are they having me on because they are decent guys at my local garage but it seems steep.

Still trying to figure out how I burnt out its motor :( 

12 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Somehow I burnt out my windscreen washer pump and the fuse went (i tried that first) and i was quoted £80 for a new one including labour are they having me on because they are decent guys at my local garage but it seems steep.

Still trying to figure out how I burnt out its motor :( 

If you have tried to scoosh your windows while the water in the reservoir was frozen that can burn it out.

Had asda petrol pump clicking every pound or so at the garage today. I tried another garage and it seemed fine. Supermarket pump just overused and needing maintenance or what?
The rubber at the front of it was moving around also - the bit that separates your hand from the nozzle.

40 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Had asda petrol pump clicking every pound or so at the garage today. I tried another garage and it seemed fine. Supermarket pump just overused and needing maintenance or what?
The rubber at the front of it was moving around also - the bit that separates your hand from the nozzle.

Just safe practice.

46 minutes ago, JamieT1314 said:

Can get a 2004 slk within my budget. Is that just madness? Just screams money pit.

2004...just repeat that, 2004. 14 years ago. What age were you then? I hadn't met my current partner. My kids were at primary school and they're both working now. 2 thousand and fucking 4, are you completely fucking mental?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Can get a 2004 slk within my budget. Is that just madness? Just screams money pit.

In 2004 it cost upwards of £30k. Your budget is £3k. That means it’s now 90-95% worn out. But it’ll still cost at least as much to run as when the original owner (who could afford to run a £30k+ car) bought it. You do the math.

11 hours ago, JamieT1314 said:

Alta Pete ^^ covers it well but you can also weight that up against how  pernickety you are. You'd probably find one that looks good and drives fine, so you can feel chuffed with your purchase. Once you start noticing all the wee things that are wrong, and when you take it to a garage for a tyre and  they tell you it needs 2k of suspension work, or the roof starts playing up and you're looking at a bill of double the value of the car you might go off the idea. But still, when it's all scrubbed up and driving well you'd probably love it, despite its flaws. 

You could get something like a 595 Abarth for £199pm, £199 dep if you want something wee and sporty. Goes faster, sounds better, handles better will cost you nothing to run except petrol. 

2004...just repeat that, 2004. 14 years ago. What age were you then? I hadn't met my current partner. My kids were at primary school and they're both working now. 2 thousand and fucking 4, are you completely fucking mental?

Why do you hate old cars so much?

Cheers, Shandon and Pete. Exactly the kind of thing I need to hear, it's total head over heart time, what would you get for £4k (could go to £5k)? First car, mid 30's, no kids or shit like that to worry about so want it to be fun while I have the chance.

Quick flick through autotrader and if it was £4K of my money I’d drop it on something like this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801122701320?advertising-location=at_cars&advertising-location=at_cars&maximum-mileage=80000&price-to=4500&postcode=fk101aa&sort=price-desc&page=1&price-from=2500&radius=60&make=BMW&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New

Cheers, Shandon and Pete. Exactly the kind of thing I need to hear, it's total head over heart time, what would you get for £4k (could go to £5k)? First car, mid 30's, no kids or shit like that to worry about so want it to be fun while I have the chance.

What about a BMW 316i compact?

Had a look at one, might be a good middle ground between boring first car and mid life crisis two seater. You got any experience of them?

I had a 2005 one that I had for a year 2013/14. Bloody loved the car but it was going to cost about £500 to get through it’s MOT which I couldn’t afford at the time so I sold t for £700. I got it for £1500 but it was a high mileage diesel.

I don’t even know when they stopped making the models but when you described what you wanted it was the first car that came to my mind!