Car advice

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I want a car that breaks ~320hp without needing an engine rebuild, like my current heap of fucking shite. Dont want (can't afford) to spend more than £10k.

Needs to be one that can be a daily (five door) and doesn't require £1k spent on it every year maintaining it (evo), or have the ticking time bomb of a saft as shite engine (wrx sti).

Honestly, I've been looking at Mk3 Octavia VRS', enjoy the older version I have, and for £500 I could get it to ~330bhp. None under £10k yet, but should be within the year. Not sure whether to wait on them dropping or go for something else, but struggling to think of what else fits that bill.

Any ideas?

I would hang fire and wait for the Skoda, think they are a brilliant bit of kit for the money. If you cannot wait then what about a Leon Cupra? Add a superchip for £400 and Bobs your mother’s live in lover.

http://www.scotland.superchips.co.uk/search?make=32&fueltype=3&model=137&variant=3178

6 hours ago, supermik said:

I would hang fire and wait for the Skoda, think they are a brilliant bit of kit for the money. If you cannot wait then what about a Leon Cupra? Add a superchip for £400 and Bobs your mother’s live in lover.

http://www.scotland.superchips.co.uk/search?make=32&fueltype=3&model=137&variant=3178

I'm not overly keen on how Cupras look, tbh. 

Want a quick car that doesn't look quick, so I don't get freaks constantly trying to race me. 

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I want a car that breaks ~320hp without needing an engine rebuild, like my current heap of fucking shite. Dont want (can't afford) to spend more than £10k.

Needs to be one that can be a daily (five door) and doesn't require £1k spent on it every year maintaining it (evo), or have the ticking time bomb of a saft as shite engine (wrx sti).

Honestly, I've been looking at Mk3 Octavia VRS', enjoy the older version I have, and for £500 I could get it to ~330bhp. None under £10k yet, but should be within the year. Not sure whether to wait on them dropping or go for something else, but struggling to think of what else fits that bill.

Any ideas?

If you could stretch to about 13k you could get an M135i BMW 5 dr. Had one for a couple of years and to the untrained eye could be a 118d. Really comfy and insanely fast. Only ones around 10-11k are really high miles. 

34 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

If you could stretch to about 13k you could get an M135i BMW 5 dr. Had one for a couple of years and to the untrained eye could be a 118d. Really comfy and insanely fast. Only ones around 10-11k are really high miles. 

Nah the old shape (e90?) 1 series' have put me off them for life. Wouldn't be adverse to a 3 series, but you're into M3 territory which goes beyond my spending ability. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nah the old shape (e90?) 1 series' have put me off them for life. Wouldn't be adverse to a 3 series, but you're into M3 territory which goes beyond my spending ability. 

You can get a decent 335i 4dr or a 335d estate/4dr well within budget. Both about 300ish bhp. 

Plenty of decent 5dr r32 Golfs too well in budget. A wee bit under 300bhp but 4x4, quick, hold their value etc 

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

You can get a decent 335i 4dr or a 335d estate/4dr well within budget. Both about 300ish bhp. 

Plenty of decent 5dr r32 Golfs too well in budget. A wee bit under 300bhp but 4x4, quick, hold their value etc 

Definitely prefer petrol, is the 335 rear wheel drive? Had a RWD BMW before, and was fun as f**k, nightmare getting to work though. 

Been looking at them tbh, know folk who got crazy numbers from them, but you'd spend all day with Fiesta STs sitting up your arse. 

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Definitely prefer petrol, is the 335 rear wheel drive? Had a RWD BMW before, and was fun as f**k, nightmare getting to work though. 

Been looking at them tbh, know folk who got crazy numbers from them, but you'd spend all day with Fiesta STs sitting up your arse. 

All Beemers are RWD, are they not?

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

All Beemers are RWD, are they not?

You can get the newer ones with AWD (X Drive) 

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

A set of winter or all weather tyres? Probably makes a bigger difference than 4x4

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

You can get the newer ones with AWD (X Drive) 

A set of winter or all weather tyres? Probably makes a bigger difference than 4x4

Had winters on mine and it never made much odds, a winter like we've just had in Perth would see me fucked for getting into work. 

Could buy a cheaper car as a second one for those days, but I'd be aswell buying something spectacular like an Evo if I was going down that route. 

I had a 7-seater VW Touran a few years ago, surprisingly big inside. 

Think he’ll file that under ‘van with windows’.

The VW Touran is a great family car. 7 seats. Get an SE or Sport model. Sport and Touran is a head-scratcher but there is one.

I'm looking at something with the option of 7 seats, as the weans are getting to the stage that we'll be shuttling their friends about once they get a bit bigger and start going to things and there's always the possibility that we may decide to have another one.  The three I mentioned all come with 7 seats either as standard or as an option.
I think the Ateca is more similar to the Karoq and the Sportage and Qashqui in size.
I'm currently leaning towards the X-Trail as I think it's the best looking.  Saw the Kodiaq up close at the weekend and I wasn't blown away, although the reviews seem to suggest it's the better car.  Going to go see a Sorento this week.

You can tell PieandBovril is yerdasville these days. It’s like Facebook. Middle-aged people talking about boring family cars.

As a boring middle-aged man with a family, I have also been looking at these 7seater 4x4 type cars with a view to making a purchase.

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

You can tell PieandBovril is yerdasville these days. It’s like Facebook. Middle-aged people talking about boring family cars.

As a boring middle-aged man with a family, I have also been looking at these 7seater 4x4 type cars with a view to making a purchase.

They're just absolutely marvelous for the school run, a doddle mounting the pavement to park. And you've no need to bother with signalling when you go straight across roundabouts.

35 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I am not middle aged.

The rest is all spot on.

On 30/01/2018 at 11:04, KnightswoodBear said:

How rude.

The Abarth:  Yes please, I am going to turn 40 next year and that seems like the ideal car for my impending mid life crisis.

Would I need to take a copper with me for the warrant for the Disco?

10 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I am not middle aged.

The rest is all spot on.

On 31/01/2018 at 08:55, KnightswoodBear said:

Are diesel drivers going to get shafted in the next few years?  Most of the cars i'm looking at come with petrol options but they all seem very underpowered for the amount of metal they've to haul about.

My wife got a new Honda CR-V to replace the one she had.  The old one had a 2.2 turbo diesel engine and it was rapid.  The new one has an updated 1.6 turbo diesel engine, which on paper delivers more power, but in reality delivers it in all the wrong places.  It's a pain in the arse to drive.

You still get new 2.2 diesel CRVs