Car advice

Got a recall letter on my 13 year old Vauxhall Insignia. The biggest issue is that I need to go to an authorised Vauxhall dealer which leaves me with no choice but to take it to Arnold Clark.  The nearest non-AC Vauxhall dealer seems to be Dunfermline (I'm Dundee) which is too much of a hassle.

Seething having to use those crooks.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Got a recall letter on my 13 year old Vauxhall Insignia. The biggest issue is that I need to go to an authorised Vauxhall dealer which leaves me with no choice but to take it to Arnold Clark.  The nearest non-AC Vauxhall dealer seems to be Dunfermline (I'm Dundee) which is too much of a hassle.

I'd be seriously considering a day out in Dunfermline if it's just a quick job. I sometime hire motors from AC but I wouldn't allow their "technicians" anywhere near my own property!

What's the recall? 13 years is a long time to realise they need a recall now, I'd probably just ignore it if it wasn't a big issue. No idea if Macklin will be much better either tbf

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Spyro said:

I'd be seriously considering a day out in Dunfermline if it's just a quick job. I sometime hire motors from AC but I wouldn't allow their "technicians" anywhere near my own property!

What's the recall? 13 years is a long time to realise they need a recall now, I'd probably just ignore it if it wasn't a big issue. No idea if Macklin will be much better either tbf

I wasn't going to bother but would it not potentially invalidate your insurance if you had an accident and hadn't bothered?

20240604_130601.jpg

Edited by Alert Mongoose

11 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I wasn't going to bother but would it not potentially invalidate your insurance if you had an accident and hadn't bothered?

20240604_130601.jpg

I'm no mechanic but is that not something that should show up on a regular MOT and can be sorted by a local workshop? Someone on here will know better though.

It's not something you want failing but they are usually overly cautious so I wouldn't worry too much about it until it's been looked at.

At 13 years old, you might find it's already been replaced... It's usually the front end that is obviously more of an issue as it's dealing with all the steering forces 

4 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

20240604_130601.jpg

3 hours ago, Spyro said:

I'm no mechanic but is that not something that should show up on a regular MOT and can be sorted by a local workshop? Someone on here will know better though.

It's not something you want failing but they are usually overly cautious so I wouldn't worry too much about it until it's been looked at.

3 hours ago, Spyro said:

At 13 years old, you might find it's already been replaced... It's usually the front end that is obviously more of an issue as it's dealing with all the steering forces 

If its the bit I think it is, then it won't have been changed. I've seen a handful of cars come in due the car being uncontrollable after they've snapped. The rear wheels just float about doing what they want after that.

MOTs won't fail them unless they're broken, you'll just get advisories about rust/corrosion.

Service won't change them either unless they break, or you've someone who knows about the issues and identifies it.

I'd be getting it done tbh. It's free and it saves the worry of it breaking while you're driving. Its potentially dangerous and a manufacturing defect, which seems to have only shown up as they age, which is why they've done a recall for it.

7 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

It's a trap to get you in and lead you through all the new cars. They'll find a hundred things wrong with your old tub and offer you a trade in.

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

It's a trap to get you in and lead you through all the new cars. They'll find a hundred things wrong with your old tub and offer you a trade in.

Unless this new car comes with Foxy Noxy sitting in the passenger seat they will be getting short shrift.

6 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

20240604_130601.jpg

More bad news. Seems the rear toe links being replaced may have an adjustment that would result in a need to perform an alignment on the vehicle after the recall, but Vauxhall has been included that in the recall. So, they seemingly are wanting to "fix" an issue by changing a part and then expecting YOU to foot the cost of an alignment to prevent the vehicle from them eating rear tires or potentially having degraded handling. May want to get clarification on this one, as its possible that only certain models have the eccentric bolts for adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...

After 2 months of owning our new-used (2019) car we had to have it fixed this week after it failed to start on the drive. Starter motor was goosed. 

I've always hated stop-start technology in cars I've driven and this is the first one I've owned with it. It's always been pretty obvious to me that it'll wear out the starter motor prematurely. The guy who attended from the recovery service said 5 years is about right, which I find shocking. Stop-start can be switched off but, annoyingly, it resets every time you drive it. I'll need to get in the habit of switching it off every time I start the car.

At least it was only an inconvenience in the end, with only the warranty company getting fleeced for 500 quid.

7 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

After 2 months of owning our new-used (2019) car we had to have it fixed this week after it failed to start on the drive. Starter motor was goosed. 

I've always hated stop-start technology in cars I've driven and this is the first one I've owned with it. It's always been pretty obvious to me that it'll wear out the starter motor prematurely. The guy who attended from the recovery service said 5 years is about right, which I find shocking. Stop-start can be switched off but, annoyingly, it resets every time you drive it. I'll need to get in the habit of switching it off every time I start the car.

At least it was only an inconvenience in the end, with only the warranty company getting fleeced for 500 quid.

The requirement to switch off every time was generally driven by the U.S. EPA and the Euro emissions/fuel mileage regulations. There are aftermarket systems that work with varying effectiveness to automatically disable it, usually by tying into the hood/bonnet open /closed sensor.

The manufacturers swear they beefed up the starter systems and that the car won’t run a stop/start cycle if the starter or battery is weak…

Agreed. I’ve had my petrol plug-in hybrid for a week now and already it’s playing on my mind. 

It tiddles about town fine on the battery fine but then when you need a bit of oomph the engine kicks in - when the oil is cold and you’re immediately putting it under stress. Doesn’t strike me as a recipe for longevity. 

It seems there’s a lot of solutions being created that actually cause more problems than if they’d just left it all alone. 

Edited by alta-pete

Cars are designed and built to be disposable. Modern cars are doing well to get beyond 10 years now.

21 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Agreed. I’ve had my petrol plug-in hybrid for a week now and already it’s playing on my mind. 

It tiddles about town fine on the battery fine but then when you need a bit of oomph the engine kicks in - when the oil is cold and you’re immediately putting it under stress. Doesn’t strike me as a recipe for longevity. 

It seems there’s a lot of solutions being created that actually cause more problems than if they’d just left it all alone. 

What oil does it use? 0w16 is the new fad for these kind of vehicles for quick lubrication. The reality is the first time the engine starts on any given drive it’s just like startup getting in a normal car, except it’s under a little more load…which is why they’ve started using these insanely thin oils that circulate very quickly, and are formulated to “cling” well between run cycles.

The good news is as it gets colder, using the heater will increase engine run times…while burning a little petrol (bad news). Mine is straight hybrid (smaller battery pack), and it’s almost always straight onto engine running at startup when at/below 5C. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

What oil does it use? 0w16 is the new fad for these kind of vehicles for quick lubrication. The reality is the first time the engine starts on any given drive it’s just like startup getting in a normal car, except it’s under a little more load…which is why they’ve started using these insanely thin oils that circulate very quickly, and are formulated to “cling” well between run cycles.

The good news is as it gets colder, using the heater will increase engine run times…while burning a little petrol (bad news). Mine is straight hybrid (smaller battery pack), and it’s almost always straight onto engine running at startup when at/below 5C. 

Lost heart with the football so the internet tells me it’s apparently 0w20

IMG_8628.gif

0w20 and 0w30 are the "modern" oils, mainly because some absolute thick c**t decided that oil soaked timing belts were a great idea again.

20 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Lost heart with the football so the internet tells me it’s apparently 0w20

IMG_8628.gif

Understand the loss of interest…0w20 is the fuel economy blend, so it “should” provide a wee bit better protection than the new 0w16. Got a 2010 Corolla with 126k on 0w20, and an oil analysis showed no sign of wear metals, so hopefully your PHEV will be fine with it.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

Understand the loss of interest…0w20 is the fuel economy blend, so it “should” provide a wee bit better protection than the new 0w16. Got a 2010 Corolla with 126k on 0w20, and an oil analysis showed no sign of wear metals, so hopefully your PHEV will be fine with it.

Not a chance - it’s a Land Rover, not a Toyota. 🤣

Just now, alta-pete said:

Not a chance - it’s a Land Rover, not a Toyota. 🤣

You poor deluded soul. A Land Rover has literally the highest 5 and 10 year required maintenance costs excluding Ferraris and other exotics. A Toyota came in at $5,000….Land Rover at $18,000…cross your fingers the engine detonates under warranty!