Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

3 hours ago, Ewan8472 said:

Any knowledgeable people have any comments on the u21 team ?

Watched it we got beat by the better team wasn't impressed with Doig who actually is a player that I rate he gave away a poor penelty 

Don't want to single anybody out though we just weren't at the races tonight

If I was a Scottish lad watching on telly that plays every week in the Scottish Premier like Anderson or Etharon then I would be seething 

I watched the game last night. It was like watching the senior team 2 or 3 years ago. Looked small, weak, slow and devoid of ideas and creativity.

After the recent relative success of the senior team, I’m convinced that coaching is the major part of the problem. Up until last year, I was starting to believe the pish we were spoon fed for years that our players just aren’t good enough - even if they play for top sides.

Get a decent coaching team in.

53 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I watched the game last night. It was like watching the senior team 2 or 3 years ago. Looked small, weak, slow and devoid of ideas and creativity.

After the recent relative success of the senior team, I’m convinced that coaching is the major part of the problem. Up until last year, I was starting to believe the pish we were spoon fed for years that our players just aren’t good enough - even if they play for top sides.

Get a decent coaching team in.

I just can not fathom the approach our u21 team take. I find it even more difficult to understand when the head of the performance schools Brian McLaughlin who has been telling us for the past few years how the under age groups are changing the way we play the game, a passing style based on technical ability, a style I have witnessed with my own eyes watching u16 up to u19 games, then we hit the 21s and it all goes out the window! Why Gemmil does not carry that style through to the U21s I do not know and why he is being allowed to continue doing so I do not know. We have some great technical players who can play proper football but the only tactic he had last night was knock the ball over the top for Middleton to chase! We need a seriously good coach at u21 level who can teach the boys about positioning and movement and patterns of play, Gemmil is miles of it and essentially throwing everything these boys have been learning previously out the window. He needs called out on this, someone like Shaun Maloney would be perfect for the u21s

1 hour ago, tartanbrush said:

I just can not fathom the approach our u21 team take. I find it even more difficult to understand when the head of the performance schools Brian McLaughlin who has been telling us for the past few years how the under age groups are changing the way we play the game, a passing style based on technical ability, a style I have witnessed with my own eyes watching u16 up to u19 games, then we hit the 21s and it all goes out the window! Why Gemmil does not carry that style through to the U21s I do not know and why he is being allowed to continue doing so I do not know. We have some great technical players who can play proper football but the only tactic he had last night was knock the ball over the top for Middleton to chase! We need a seriously good coach at u21 level who can teach the boys about positioning and movement and patterns of play, Gemmil is miles of it and essentially throwing everything these boys have been learning previously out the window. He needs called out on this, someone like Shaun Maloney would be perfect for the u21s

Aye Maloney is going to give up being the Belgium assistant manager to come and coach the Scotland u21 get real we couldn't even afford him to be assistant to Clarke 

I was hoping that Euros qualification was going to buy Clarke the opportunity to have a much bigger input in how the game is run at youth level, particularly when it coincided with another U21 failure. However, that never really happened and Gemmill stayed on again. Maybe the World Cup performance (qualification or not) and yet another failure by Gemmill here will force a rethink.

There are definitely some good people involved - Brian McLaughlin for example seems to be switched on. However I think there are too many people at the SFA now who are just seasoned youth coaches and therefore aren't really injecting new ideas. Continuity is a good thing but too much continuity isn't.

6 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Aye Maloney is going to give up being the Belgium assistant manager to come and coach the Scotland u21 get real we couldn't even afford him to be assistant to Clarke 

I said someone like Shaun Maloney.... someone who sees and coaches the game the same way as Shaun Maloney does

6 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Again for the second time we can't afford a coach like Maloney for the U21 we can barely afford Steve Clarke for the senior team,it's Scotland we are talking about Belgium are minted and rarely miss any finals night and day to compare us with them in any shape or form