Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

Just now, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

What exactly is Gemmill's remit? 

We don't get results, play decent football or improve any players at that level.   

I've been saying exactly this for years. The guy ticks zero boxes, doesn't win, plays shocking football.

I cant imagine any technical players improving being played out of position either punting the ball or watching it fly over their heads. Or chasing it. Its absolute garbage.

Him and stark have been getting away with it for years, and will continue to. Nobody (at the sfa) cares what they do.

36 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I've been saying exactly this for years. The guy ticks zero boxes, doesn't win, plays shocking football.

I cant imagine any technical players improving being played out of position either punting the ball or watching it fly over their heads. Or chasing it. Its absolute garbage.

Him and stark have been getting away with it for years, and will continue to. Nobody (at the sfa) cares what they do.

He's exactly like Billy Stark and Ricky Sbragia were

Went along tonight to cross Tynecastle off more than anything but what a painfully drab affair. Most of our limitations have been covered already but I thought Lewis Mayo was especially rubbish. Constant aimless punts up the park under no pressure. 

Denmark absolutely strolled it in all honesty. Hardly broke sweat.

This month marks 5yrs in charge of U21s for him.

His competitive record is pretty abject; bar 2 wins over Netherlands (sandwiching draw in Andorra).

His home record... 5 wins from 15... being:

Scotland 0-1 FYR Macedonia
(Scotland finished 5th in group - Sbragia managed opening 3/5 of campaign)
Scotland 0-0 Estonia

Scotland 2-0 Netherlands
Scotland 1-1 Latvia
Scotland 0-2 Ukraine
Scotland 3-0 Andorra
Scotland 0-2 England

(Scotland finished 4th in group)

Scotland 2-0 San Marino
Scotland 0-0 Lithuania
Scotland 0-1 Greece
Scotland 2-0 Czech Republic
Scotland 2-2 Croatia

(Scotland finished 3rd in group)
Scotland 1-2 Northern Ireland
Scotland 3-2 Northern Ireland

Scotland 0-1 Denmark

Edited by HibeeJibee

It's hard to say if this group are as bad as folk are making out as last night's performance was painfully similar to previous ones under Gemmill, only instead of a big lump to punt the ball to, we had two small guys.

Doig's now been poor every time I've seen him this season which isn't great. Hopefully it's just a blip.

Ashby looked our best player - not massively influential but seemed better technically and physically than the rest.

12 hours ago, Binos said:

Like Steve Clarke does too

Steve Clarke's job is solely results driven though he has to find a way to win with the players he has so plays the way that best suits us to win games. Gemmil is following suit, when Gemills remit should be primarily developing players, and developing players in a manner that will allow our senior team to play a different style of football in the future, but he puts himself first by trying to elevate his own status by getting results which he fails at also.

11 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Some of the Danish players had composure that we just couldn’t match.

Agreed but all our most comfortable players on the ball started on the bench! Leonard came on and within minutes hit a couple of brilliant diagonals, he is comfortable in the middle of the park, good on the ball, Kai Kennedy and Scott Banks both on the bench two of our best technical players not playing to accommodate bigger lads like Burroughs and Williamson. Fiorini was well of it but not once did we actually try and play it through the Midfield and Gemmil had him stuck up front! He plays as a 10 for his club. Jack Stretton, a goalscorer, also kicking his heels on the bench as two midfielders play up front, ridiculous

13 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

That is stupid.

There is no reason the U21s have to play the same formation as the big team. usually only 2 or 3 guys are good enough to step up to the full squad immediately. So if they aren't going to be involved for another couple of years the tactics might have massively changed.

No long term planning ?

55 minutes ago, tartanbrush said:

Steve Clarke's job is solely results driven though he has to find a way to win with the players he has so plays the way that best suits us to win games. Gemmil is following suit, when Gemills remit should be primarily developing players, and developing players in a manner that will allow our senior team to play a different style of football in the future, but he puts himself first by trying to elevate his own status by getting results which he fails at also.

That's what gemmil stark and sbragia also thought they were doing 

Belgium as mentioned mandated same system through all levels 

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

It's hard to say if this group are as bad as folk are making out as last night's performance was painfully similar to previous ones under Gemmill, only instead of a big lump to punt the ball to, we had two small guys.

Doig's now been poor every time I've seen him this season which isn't great. Hopefully it's just a blip.

Ashby looked our best player - not massively influential but seemed better technically and physically than the rest.

Unfortunately regarding Doig he’s been similarly underwhelming domestically too, hopefully he turns it around soon.

Although in fairness it didn’t help that pretty much every pass played to him was miles too far in front of him, should have done better with the goal tho.

1 hour ago, Les Cabbage said:

Unfortunately regarding Doig he’s been similarly underwhelming domestically too, hopefully he turns it around soon.

Although in fairness it didn’t help that pretty much every pass played to him was miles too far in front of him, should have done better with the goal tho.

Thought he should have been making runs he just wasn't making 

Looked on his heels 

6 hours ago, Ewan8472 said:

No long term planning ?

Long term planning for what?

Our best young player started 2 or 3 u21 games in total.

The whole point of U21s for us is showing that our best young players can compete at the same level as some of the best youngsters in Europe. And hopefully get these players moved on to better clubs which will hopefully make them better players. Of course the people in charge often don't see it like that...

SFA Performance Director Malky Mackay had advised Gilmour and his family that he should stay at Rangers, as he would have had more chance of gaining first team experience. Mackay said, "I really hope he goes out on loan quickly to someone and keeps progressing"

All of the "long term planning" also presupposes that Steve Clarke has a real footballing philosophy other than playing the most effective team you can.

On 08/10/2021 at 16:43, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Long term planning for what?

Our best young player started 2 or 3 u21 games in total.

The whole point of U21s for us is showing that our best young players can compete at the same level as some of the best youngsters in Europe. And hopefully get these players moved on to better clubs which will hopefully make them better players. Of course the people in charge often don't see it like that...

SFA Performance Director Malky Mackay had advised Gilmour and his family that he should stay at Rangers, as he would have had more chance of gaining first team experience. Mackay said, "I really hope he goes out on loan quickly to someone and keeps progressing"

All of the "long term planning" also presupposes that Steve Clarke has a real footballing philosophy other than playing the most effective team you can.

get them scoring goals !!!

anyone got any inklings as to where the kazakhstan and belgium home games are to be played?
just says "tbc" on the SFAs website,pretty poor with just over a month to go
I'm sure they're confirmed for Tannadice. Weird if it isn't on their own website.

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:
6 hours ago, highlandcowden said:
anyone got any inklings as to where the kazakhstan and belgium home games are to be played?
just says "tbc" on the SFAs website,pretty poor with just over a month to go

I'm sure they're confirmed for Tannadice. Weird if it isn't on their own website.

ta for that.i found the info a bit back in their news section,would be helpful if they put the details in their fixtures info though