Youth Teams Discussion.

Enigma

We've already shipped an English boy into this team because 'he has a Scottish grandmother'. I find that utterly ridiculous at that age.

I can almost understand at full international level because you have to choose the best players at our disposal to be competitive - but the only reason we have the likes of Morrison, Rhodes, Martin etc in our team is because there aren't enough good Scottish players playing at a good level.

Surely the way around that is to bring proper Scottish young players through?

Baffling.

If he has chosen to play for us at 15/16 years old then surely he considers himself Scottish?

Indeed, and if he's got any potential to make it in the senior game it's surely better to get him involved with Scotland now rather than leaving him out and making it an easier decision for him to choose England if he turns out to be good enough for them to be interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Scotland under 19 striker Sam Gallagher on the bench for Southampton  today. He came on during the week in their cup tie and impressed apparantly

Good news. Hadn't heard of him, but good to know there's another prospect on the cusp of epl footy.

I noticed Jordan Archer was on spurs' bench the other night in the Europa - more good news

Scotland under 19 striker Sam Gallagher on the bench for Southampton  today. He came on during the week in their cup tie and impressed apparantly

Good news. Hadn't heard of him, but good to know there's another prospect on the cusp of epl footy.

I noticed Jordan Archer was on spurs' bench the other night in the Europa - more good news

Yeah must admit I had never heard of Gallagher before, and there is very little information about him but good to see a young Scot possibly breaking through at a club like Southampton, a team who's academy is very highly thought of. Six foot four so he is a big lad.

16 year old Craig Wighton just scored for us. He's going to be a Scotland player one day.

If he is looked after properly he definitely will be, have seen him at school level and he was superb. Only slight problem for Dundee is that if you don't get promoted this year (and I hope you do) then next season will be tough given the Rangers/Hearts (possibly) factor so you may lose him sooner than you had hoped.

If he is looked after properly he definitely will be, have seen him at school level and he was superb. Only slight problem for Dundee is that if you don't get promoted this year (and I hope you do) then next season will be tough given the Rangers/Hearts (possibly) factor so you may lose him sooner than you had hoped.

He's scored a hat trick for Scotland 17s (I think) against Slovakia already, I'm just going on what I've heard as I've not seen him play, but people say he's years ahead of where he should be as a player, which is promising. I feel his chances would be limited if we got promoted though, which is sad.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Rico Quitongo and Jai Quitongo are involved in the Scotland youth teams. Hopefully they have the silky skills of their dad.

What teams are they in? U17 and U15? What teams do they play for. A mate reffereed one a couple of years ago, he was at Hibs iirc.

Edited by Enigma