free trains

I'm on one now, but the work paid for it. Just looking in to Lancaster City's park just now. Always fancied going there since you can see it from the train.

Going there on Saturday, it's name is a belter: The Giant Axe.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think the barriers can even tell tbh.

It's never flagged up anytime I've used it multiple times.

Any time I've used an [insert place] to Aberdeen ticket, the Aberdeen station barriers have always stolen it.

I regulalry get the train from Stonehaven to Glasgow for football and sometimes the ticket inspector takes as long as Abroath/Dundee to get round to me so I just tell him that I got on at the closest stop we have just passed and pay from there.

Is this regular practice or am I a thieving jake ? :P

I regulalry get the train from Stonehaven to Glasgow for football and sometimes the ticket inspector takes as long as Abroath/Dundee to get round to me so I just tell him that I got on at the closest stop we have just passed and pay from there.

Is this regular practice or am I a thieving jake ? :P

Nah, I've done this as well mate.

In my student days, pre-barrier in Aberdeen, I was known to spend the whole Abd-stoney journey in the toilet. :ph34r:

Right so I was getting the train from Haymarket to Dundee and the ticket conductor comes over. We haven't bought tickets. My friend flashes his railcard and the conductor seemingly takes notice and types it away into his machine. My friend pays and then it's my turn, I say "I have a rail card as well" and conductor says "okay". I've just put my pin in the machine when I notice the cost of my mates ticket. It's really expensive for a mere single. I look closer and to my horror there is no "Y-P" on the ticket to signify this is a young persons ticket. The theiving conductor has ignored his rail card! And he was now doing the same to me!

I bring the fact up and the conductor quietly apologises, but it was clear to see this mug had been caught out. He must have thought he was going to get away with the lot of it. We were refunded and our new tickets were 5 quid cheaper each with a railcard. I was later told by my mate that the conductors colleague was watching over him as he charged us more than he should. His colleague actually said in his ear "superb." Those absolute fucking b*****ds.

Make no mistake people, these slimy, theiving arseholes are out to rob you. Some say that you're a theif for skipping a train fare - but I say Scotrail know exactly what they're doing too. They have an agenda. I think they will do as much as they can to try swindle us all. Keep your eyes open, my friends.

The conductor should not take your railcard into consideration, having embarked at a station with ticketing facilities. You should have been offered a full-price single or punted off the train at the next stop.

The conductor should not take your railcard into consideration, having embarked at a station with ticketing facilities. You should have been offered a full-price single or punted off the train at the next stop.

Wrong I'm afraid. Conductors are more than capable of processing your rail card on the train. I've had that shit before "you can't use your rail card on the train." Why is that then? It's absolute nonsense, they can and I know this because of the numerous times I have had to purchase a ticket on the train. Solution? Don't take no for an answer.

It's a condition of the rail card. Only valid on the train if you get on at a station without a form of ticketing facility!

I have never once been told this by a conductor when they have been questioned. If this is the case then why wouldn't they say? I have got on the train countless times without a ticket and they have accepted my railcard without dispute. They CAN process your railcard and they WILL. They'll tell you they can't just because they want to get more money out of you. Well not on my watch.

Wrong I'm afraid. Conductors are more than capable of processing your rail card on the train. I've had that shit before "you can't use your rail card on the train." Why is that then? It's absolute nonsense, they can and I know this because of the numerous times I have had to purchase a ticket on the train. Solution? Don't take no for an answer.

Wrong I'm afraid. Conductors can process a rail-card on the train, but this service is for those getting on at stations without ticketing facilities. Haymarket quite clearly has ticketing facilities throughout the day, so your point is invalid.

Wrong I'm afraid. Conductors can process a rail-card on the train, but this service is for those getting on at stations without ticketing facilities. Haymarket quite clearly has ticketing facilities throughout the day, so your point is invalid.

Conductors process my railcard on a daily basis when travelling from Perth to Dundee - stations both with ticket facilities. Answer me that one?

Maybe it was his attitude towards us that threw me, you know the patronising kind.

Shot in the dark here, but as this was on the east coast line, this wasn't by any chance a little fifty-something guy with longish curly white hair, glasses, a broad north-east accent and a ticket punch that leaves a little cut-out of a cat on your ticket, was it? If it was, then the guy is a total, utter c**t whose cat ticket punch is almost certainly a sign of some unspeakable sexual proclivity.

Shot in the dark here, but as this was on the east coast line, this wasn't by any chance a little fifty-something guy with longish curly white hair, glasses, a broad north-east accent and a ticket punch that leaves a little cut-out of a cat on your ticket, was it? If it was, then the guy is a total, utter c**t whose cat ticket punch is almost certainly a sign of some unspeakable sexual proclivity.

I don't know about the north-east accent part, but almost everything else sounds about right. Maybe that type of description is just something of an unofficial personality clique, aka c***s. <_<

c**t that looks like doc out of back to the future? Absolute and complete roaster.

It's clearly a shite attempt at trying to fleece people by setting such a lazy rule in the first place though. You could easily say that the handheld machines are just for people getting on at stations without facilities, yet they're happy enough to use them to charge full price when they could easily chuck them off at the next station. That wouldn't be much of a revenue earner of course.

You seem to be suspiciously defensive of the train companies though. If I remember correctly, haven't you previously defended the price of train fares by saying you can get them for £X if you book in advance, so basically why the big song and dance?

Archived