free trains

Another tip. If you're on the train on a day when there are engineering works and you have to complete your journey using a replacement bus, don't bother paying full fare. Just pay to wherever the train terminates and you'll get the bus portion free.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read that barriers are going to be installed in Perth for mid July. Knew it was coming but not as soon as that. Looks like the end of my fare dodging days. Means I won't be able to hop on a train without a ticket either. Shite. f**k Scotrail.

I'm glad that thieves such as yourself are finally being taken to task.

Inverness station is getting them as well. At least the station here is just one large concourse with plenty of room.

Scotrail will start getting an unexpected revenue boost on Nairn County v Clachnacuddin days.

Just read that barriers are going to be installed in Perth for mid July. Knew it was coming but not as soon as that. Looks like the end of my fare dodging days. Means I won't be able to hop on a train without a ticket either. Shite. f**k Scotrail.

Unlucky thief. Just let that sink in.

It's actually quite depressing the lengths some people will go to, to avoid paying their fare in this country. If you don't want to pay the correct fare, don't use the train, it's that simple.

I got a free train from Inverkeithing to Dunfermline Queen Margaret on Monday.

It was most pleasing. The conductor actually walked past me twice but didn't bother me for the fare.

Unlucky thief. Just let that sink in.

It's actually quite depressing the lengths some people will go to, to avoid paying their fare in this country. If you don't want to pay the correct fare, don't use the train, it's that simple.

I try to avoid paying the fare because 1. I'm a student who would rather spend his hard earned SAAS on getting fucking steaming and 2. Fares for travelling around Scotland are too much IMO. If there is an opportunity to get a free train I am going to take it - you'd be an absolute mug not to.

I try to avoid paying the fare because 1. I'm a student who would rather spend his hard earned SAAS on getting fucking steaming and 2. Fares for travelling around Scotland are too much IMO. If there is an opportunity to get a free train I am going to take it - you'd be an absolute mug not to.

I think you'd be hard to pushed to find someone who has never "jumped the train". On the other hand, have you ever considered that if everyone paid the correct fare, then there'd be no need for the honest passengers to subsidise the freeloaders?

I think you'd be hard to pushed to find someone who has never "jumped the train". On the other hand, have you ever considered that if everyone paid the correct fare, then there'd be no need for the honest passengers to subsidise the freeloaders?

Nope, never considered it because I don't believe that's the case. I believe if everyone paid their way there would be no difference - Scotrail will always put their prices up regardless.

It's £80 return if you book on the day from Inverkeithing to Aberdeen.

I think that more than makes up for the folk who 'jump the train'. It's usually only short trips people can do it for anyway as most larger stations have barriers and indeed conductors.

Erm, the principle group being subsidised in any UK railway service are the private operators thanks to its disastrous privatisation. The number of fare-paying passengers doesn't in fact matter because regulated fares will go up in a regulated, inflation-tied manner regardless of the operator's profit or loss.

If you think the fares are too much, don't use the fucking train then you absolute tink. What are you studying, colouring in?

If he can't afford it, what is your suggestion as an alternative?

If he can't afford it, what is your suggestion as an alternative?

How about find a method of transport he can afford?

Why shouldn't he just jump in a taxi and refuse to pay for that either?

My folks always take the Gold bus. Not only is it free, and a lot quicker from Sneckie to Glasgow or Edinburgh than Megabus, but they get a free sandwich and coffee/tea at Perth. Quite a few pensioners do it just for the catering, and come straight back.

Bus.

Are you suggesting that if people can't afford something they should just take it and refuse to pay?

No buses around me. I've only got the train as a means of transport. Without it I wouldn't be able to do simple things such as go to work, do my shopping.

So if I can't afford the train, I can't get to work, I don't make any money to feed myself...

You see where I'm going here.

I don't blame a student for dodging a fair if he can't afford it, after all his education is far more important and in the long run he'll probably pay more back to society in tax after getting a degree than he would dropping out.

My folks always take the Gold bus. Not only is it free, and a lot quicker from Sneckie to Glasgow or Edinburgh than Megabus, but they get a free sandwich and coffee/tea at Perth. Quite a few pensioners do it just for the catering, and come straight back.

I go for the Walkers shortbread and the muffin tbh.

The difference for Aberdeen-Glasgow by train and bus is only ~5mins too.

No buses around me. I've only got the train as a means of transport. Without it I wouldn't be able to do simple things such as go to work, do my shopping.

So if I can't afford the train, I can't get to work, I don't make any money to feed myself...

You see where I'm going here.

I don't blame a student for dodging a fair if he can't afford it, after all his education is far more important and in the long run he'll probably pay more back to society in tax after getting a degree than he would dropping out.

So if the trains aren't running, ie late at night or disruption, should people just phone taxis then refuse to pay at the destination and tell the driver that society will benefit in the long run. :lol:

Archived