Amsterdam

greenockraver

Hoping to head back to Amsterdam in September but really struggling for a decent cheap hotel.  Anybody any ideas?  Hostel is a no no (friend who is coming is refusing to stay at one for some reason) and preferably with decent links to city centre. 

36 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Hoping to head back to Amsterdam in September but really struggling for a decent cheap hotel.  Anybody any ideas?  Hostel is a no no (friend who is coming is refusing to stay at one for some reason) and preferably with decent links to city centre. 

Stayed at the ITC Hotel on Prinsengracht for about £50 a night a couple of months ago. Fine if you don't want to hang about your room much, short walk from the centre and next to a tram stop. Bit basic and not ensuite.

On 23/05/2017 at 10:33, The Minertaur said:

Not helpful at all - but I was in Amsterdam last year and finding a decent hostel that didn't cost the fucking Earth was a nightmare. Went on a little tour of 6 cities in Europe and Amsterdam was the worst for accomodation by a long shot.

On 5/23/2017 at 11:15, welshbairn said:

Stayed at the ITC Hotel on Prinsengracht for about £50 a night a couple of months ago. Fine if you don't want to hang about your room much, short walk from the centre and next to a tram stop. Bit basic and not ensuite.

It's booked when we need to go. Thanks though!

15 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Not helpful at all - but I was in Amsterdam last year and finding a decent hostel that didn't cost the fucking Earth was a nightmare. Went on a little tour of 6 cities in Europe and Amsterdam was the worst for accomodation by a long shot.

Aye it's proving impossible.  We stayed in an Airbnb there last year and it was £50 per person per night.  Now I'm looking at about £150 per person per night for a long weekend.  Sadly it's not worth it :(

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

It's booked when we need to go. Thanks though!

Aye it's proving impossible.  We stayed in an Airbnb there last year and it was £50 per person per night.  Now I'm looking at about £150 per person per night for a long weekend.  Sadly it's not worth it :(

You could think about Utrecht. Bit like a mini Amsterdam with less tourists and a direct train from Schipol. And an easy commute into Amsterdam if you wanted.

P.S. I stayed here. It's a hostel but really nice with single rooms for about £50.

Edited by welshbairn

• 3 weeks later...

I used to live in Haarlem, lovely town and much quieter than amsterdam ( which seems to get busier every year ) its well connected 15 minutes to Amsterdam by train, you can also head to the beach at Zandvoort which is about 15 minutes away

• 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Looking at a trip with the girlfriend soonish. Never been before so no idea where is best to stay for a couple, been suggested the museum quarter/Vondelpark area? Also, anyone been to an Ajax game, and if so is it easy getting tickets if it's against a lower half team?

Anywhere central will do, it's got a similar vibe all over, outside the red light district, and it's easy to get around with the trams. The more difficult thing is finding a hotel that isn't extortionate. Vondelpark is nice enough, think the Museum quarter would be pricey.

Looking at a trip with the girlfriend soonish. Never been before so no idea where is best to stay for a couple, been suggested the museum quarter/Vondelpark area? Also, anyone been to an Ajax game, and if so is it easy getting tickets if it's against a lower half team?

Just bought tickets for AZ game in April. Seems to be availability for most games between now and then: https://www.visitajax.com

On 6/15/2017 at 15:54, stevieKTID said:

I used to live in Haarlem, lovely town and much quieter than amsterdam ( which seems to get busier every year ) its well connected 15 minutes to Amsterdam by train, you can also head to the beach at Zandvoort which is about 15 minutes away

Haarlem for what it is worth was excellent. Much preferred it to Amsterdam, some quality bars to have a drink in. Went to one beer shop that had over 1600 different beers for sale. Can travel back and forth to Amsterdam easily. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Central said:

Anybody any ideas of decent pubs to drink in at night? 4 of us in our 20's going over so ideally quite upbeat, cheap and plenty women.

Just stay in the Red Light District. Loads of little pubs dotted around place.

Anybody any ideas of decent pubs to drink in at night? 4 of us in our 20's going over so ideally quite upbeat, cheap and plenty women.

My mate lived in Amsterdam for a couple years, so we’d go over quite a lot. Always went to a place called Hennekes Boom, which sits right on the water across from the science museum. Reasonably cheap, for Amsterdam, and always lively. One of my favourite pubs in the world.

10 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

My mate lived in Amsterdam for a couple years, so we’d go over quite a lot. Always went to a place called Hennekes Boom, which sits right on the water across from the science museum. Reasonably cheap, for Amsterdam, and always lively. One of my favourite pubs in the world.

Cheers mate, sounds good.

Hennekes Boom is a decent shout, gets busy if the weather is good, slightly further east the is Brouwerij Het Ij, its a brewery in a windmill decent beers with a large beer garden, if you want to sample some Belgian/Dutch beers in a traditional setting cheek out In de Wilderman and old school dutch bar, loads of beer, its all very civilised but a nice experience ( one of my personal favourite bars in Amsterdam, although i'm not in the centre much )

You could check out Ton Ton club in the red light district, basically an adult arcade, plenty of games, a wide selection of beer, just round the corner on Warmoesstraat you have Belushi's cheap beer, decent bar food, beer garden, pool tables etc 

26 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

Hennekes Boom is a decent shout, gets busy if the weather is good, slightly further east the is Brouwerij Het Ij, its a brewery in a windmill decent beers with a large beer garden, if you want to sample some Belgian/Dutch beers in a traditional setting cheek out In de Wilderman and old school dutch bar, loads of beer, its all very civilised but a nice experience ( one of my personal favourite bars in Amsterdam, although i'm not in the centre much )

You could check out Ton Ton club in the red light district, basically an adult arcade, plenty of games, a wide selection of beer, just round the corner on Warmoesstraat you have Belushi's cheap beer, decent bar food, beer garden, pool tables etc 

Cheers Stevie!

2 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

Always recommend these two bars to anyone I know who's going to Amsterdam along with Het Elfde Gebod.