Amsterdam

greenockraver

• 1 month later...

Booked up to go in January, taking the gf over for her birthday.

Will be my 5th time there but still have absolutely no clue about the place, always just been over with the boys and its a blur from beginning to end each time. Lasting memories are aimlessly wandering the streets in a group, with sporadic shouts of "where are we going" and "everybody just calm down", usually ending up back where we started after about 2 hours of walking.

What are the good areas to eat/drink? looking for older crowd so probably the slightly trendier areas. Hotel is in the Museum Quarter, I assume this will be fairly quiet, which suits us, however I dont want to miles from the madness should the notion take us.

32 yo Guy and a 24 yo Girl.

Went in May there and me and my mates have booked up for new year 29th Dec(e) to 2nd Jan.

We stayed in the City Hotel the last time and it was a bit basic. We (6 of us) were all in the one room and I didn't mind it at the time but felt too cramped. Before then I had been to Amsterdam twice with the old man, but was 13 and 15 on each occasion so this was the first time I'd been as a proper adult. As much as I had a great time, I felt as if everything was just BOOM do this, then that then this then that then this...it felt too much in so little time. I wanted to do all those things but with good timing in between, get to drink everything in and chill.

The first day was fucking outstanding. We arrived and 5 minutes in we went to the coffee shop straight down the stairs. We all bought pre-rolls (which are fucking lethal) and started puffing away. 10 minutes in and I'm definitely somewhere else in the solar system but enjoying it, I like that feeling. My mate, who professed his knowledge and experience of Amsterdam (to be fair he had been a few times before) previously, a 16 stone monster, was face down on the table mumbling about how he's ill and dying. He got up and stumbled to the toilet. A few seconds passed by and something only similar to the sound of a car crash suddenly occurred. He had fell into the toilet bowl face first :lol: He was left lying on the toilet floor for about 20 minutes, we were all way too stoned to try and get a KO'd over-weight 20 year old up on his feet, until he came to, sat down and drank some sugary water (apparently this helps a whitey). Was just the fact he bragged about being experienced with ganj and was totally wiped out after 10 minutes that made it :lol:

This time I think we're all in agreement to take our time, not get fired into the nearest places and also take in more things than coffee shops, dancing, pubs, the Ronald de Boers etc. We've booked ourselves 4 days now as well, in May we were there for 3, which also aids on our quest to branch out a bit more. We're still on Rembrandt square but we've upgraded ourselves to an apartment with separate rooms, the hotel 'Amstelzicht', which looks fucking ace online, if I may say so. Very, very good location (close to the Charlie Brookers is key), cost £400 all in for 4 nights and flights for new year. Decent deal we got there.

We're also going to the Awakenings festival on the 31st. I'm not a fan of techno, I'll listen to Aphex Twin, Duke Dumont and Richie Hawtin and that's it, but I'm looking forward to it though, it's something a bit different. Should be sweet being wired to Pluto in that kind of scenery.

Aye the green is lethal, first time i went I was 19 and smoked every day, I was still absolutely wrecked after a third of a pre-roll in the first coffeeshop i visited. remember standing at some square trying to cross it but just being overwhelmed by the bikes, cars, trams and people i had to contend with, me and two mates ended up on our hand and knees absolutely pissing ourselves at the ridiculousness of the situation. Then walking across the square my mate seen an Abn Amro bank, thought it was an abortion clinic and for some reason found this the funniest thing ever, was doubled up with laughter, had to be carried to the nearest bar. We spent the next hour or so drinking pints to try and level ourselves off. Some rasta guy decided to stand in front of us at one point and proceed to use a halk bottle of whyte and mackay as shampoo, so thats how you get dreadlocks!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going back again next week.

On the Saturday we plan to wander around the various Christmas markets in the squares before heading to the Heineken experience.

Is there anything else people would recommend besides museums /Anne Frank house?

Ever thought about getting out and going down to the Hague? Everything that is on offer in Amsterdam is readily available there and half the price,its decent for a day out

Just like cool bars or shops or just something nice to look at (not a hooker) to stop us from sitting in the pub from 10am (this is ideal but we're trying our hardest not to do this)

Artis Zoo is brilliant for a couple of hours. It's easy enough to get to from the city centre and there's a couple of cracking wee coffee shops out there too.

ETA - We went to The Hague in October for a day, and although it wasn't really helped by the fact it pissed down all day, I thought it was a bit shite.

Edited by placidcasual345

Can you touch the animals? I really want to stroke a giraffe.

I'm going tomorrow. Christmas is coming early.

You can touch some of them. Your probably not supposed to but you can definitely have a wee cheeky stroke.

You can't have even a fly wee touch of a lion or anything similarly dangerous though. Just the docile ones.

They've got vultures too.