Bitcoin/cryptocurrency thread

38 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidjeans/2023/11/21/binance-ceo-cz-in-discussions-to-step-down-as-criminal-investigation-ends/

Ouch. Between this and the FTX / Alameda debacle, is it purely a lack of one strong central regulator thats attracting so many thieves, crooks and chancers to crypto?

Tbh as shady as London's financial sector is I really wouldnt trust having any assets in one of these exchanges. No FSCS protection etc. and a contant worry of waking up and finding out that the board of directors you've entrusted £££'s with are Lyle Lanley types.

Much do you think he sold this for

images.jpeg-1.jpg.f9192851e7bbfec5448fc066a1451c8b.jpg

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidjeans/2023/11/21/binance-ceo-cz-in-discussions-to-step-down-as-criminal-investigation-ends/

Ouch. Between this and the FTX / Alameda debacle, is it purely a lack of one strong central regulator thats attracting so many thieves, crooks and chancers to crypto?

Tbh as shady as London's financial sector is I really wouldnt trust having any assets in one of these exchanges. No FSCS protection etc. and a contant worry of waking up and finding out that the board of directors you've entrusted £££'s with are Lyle Lanley types.

He's one of the better Hibees to be honest.

It really is ridiculous if you are in crypto and you keep your crypto in an exchange instead of keeping it on chain.

Not your keys not your coins.

The whole point of crypto is to minimize trust, why are people then trusting an unregulated entity?

36 minutes ago, iron mike python said:

It really is ridiculous if you are in crypto and you keep your crypto in an exchange instead of keeping it on chain.

Not your keys not your coins.

The whole point of crypto is to minimize trust, why are people then trusting an unregulated entity?

I keep all of mine on either Binance, Metamask or various farms/pools.

Who can be fucked farting about with a hardware wallet?

15 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

I keep all of mine on either Binance, Metamask or various farms/pools.

Who can be fucked farting about with a hardware wallet?

But you do realise the difference between all those options?

Binance is basically now (with the recent news) under the thumb of the US Government who can make anything happen to your funds. Many exchanges in crypto have disappeared instantly in the past (FTX, Mount GOX). What happens if a bank run on Binance started next week? We already know they just had to stump up 4 billion USD to the US government it would be a tough time to survive a bank run. 

Metamask is fine as long as you are internet sensible and don't click to strange websites and download weird things on the same computer/phone you use. If you added a hardware wallet to this you would be boosting your security but as you say it is a faff.

Farms/pools you are adding protocol risk into the equation. For example one of the most established pools on Curve got hacked last year.

I would say a mix of these with the majority on Metamask/hardware wallets are the safest.

7 hours ago, iron mike python said:

But you do realise the difference between all those options?

Binance is basically now (with the recent news) under the thumb of the US Government who can make anything happen to your funds. Many exchanges in crypto have disappeared instantly in the past (FTX, Mount GOX). What happens if a bank run on Binance started next week? We already know they just had to stump up 4 billion USD to the US government it would be a tough time to survive a bank run. 

Metamask is fine as long as you are internet sensible and don't click to strange websites and download weird things on the same computer/phone you use. If you added a hardware wallet to this you would be boosting your security but as you say it is a faff.

Farms/pools you are adding protocol risk into the equation. For example one of the most established pools on Curve got hacked last year.

I would say a mix of these with the majority on Metamask/hardware wallets are the safest.

All within the context that it's funny money being talked about.

1 hour ago, beefybake said:

All within the context that it's funny money being talked about.

Most of it is 'funny money', some of it isn't. 

I'm certainly laughing at how much funny money has changed my life for the positive that is for sure.

1 hour ago, iron mike python said:

Most of it is 'funny money', some of it isn't. 

I'm certainly laughing at how much funny money has changed my life for the positive that is for sure.

The only way it will have changed your life is if .....

1. You have previously sold the things at a much higher price than you paid.

or

2. You earn money by talking about how wonderful bitcoin is.. to people who  want to know that.

aka,  grifting.

Very noticeable you've only popped up here on an upswing in values.

Tells its own story.

2 hours ago, beefybake said:

The only way it will have changed your life is if .....

1. You have previously sold the things at a much higher price than you paid.

or

2. You earn money by talking about how wonderful bitcoin is.. to people who  want to know that.

aka,  grifting.

Very noticeable you've only popped up here on an upswing in values.

Tells its own story.

Its number 1 for me. I've already 'cashed out' more than my original investment and I still have multiples kept as crypto which I will dig into when I need it treating it like a bank account.

Also I posted on November 15th last year in this very thread, that was around the low of this cycle. So your last line isn't correct. I certainly don't make money by talking about how wonderful Bitcoin is. Currently I own no Bitcoin (I do own WBTC on Ethereum).

I'm always happy to talk about crypto

19 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Calling bullshit on this.

You are like a gambler who only tells people about their wins. 

I'm not going to whip out tax returns and bank statements, but the evidence is in this thread below. I posted about Ethereum and Chainlink on 10th of may 2018. See the image below for the price of Ethereum then and now highlighted.

On 10/05/2018 at 15:32, iron mike python said:

I would suggest that you don't though because if you look at the charts it is setting up to be a similar year to last. Then you can get out at the next peak.

Ethereum is looking like your safest store of money though. 

Personally I am all in on ChainLink, if anyone asks me why then I am happy to answer questions. 

image.thumb.png.154cac257dc980ba0d45da1b71a313c4.png

4 minutes ago, iron mike python said:

I'm not going to whip out tax returns and bank statements, but the evidence is in this thread below. I posted about Ethereum and Chainlink on 10th of may 2018. See the image below for the price of Ethereum then and now highlighted.

It's changed your life so much that you post about crypto on a Scottish football forum . . .

You genuinely are a fucking fantasist of the worst kind.

Guest DannyBlue
10 minutes ago, iron mike python said:

Your comment is from May 2018 and you've shown a graph of the price from 2019. The price in May 2018 was 4 and a half times higher than the price on your May 2019 screenshot.

8 minutes ago, DannyBlue said:

Your comment is from May 2018 and you've shown a graph of the price from 2019. The price in May 2018 was 4 and a half times higher than the price on your May 2019 screenshot.

As I said - a fucking fantasist.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

9 minutes ago, DannyBlue said:

Oh shit haha. I'm not going to delete it. I did say I was "all in Chainlink" though. So lets look at that increase.

image.thumb.png.b13bf56d53a833d8ca87fbf801ff2c77.png