Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

2 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Watching one of the Walesgames they talked aabout toshack throwing in lots of kids who probably weren't 4eady used those exact words btw and gave them loads of caps loads of game time and experience played as many friendlies as allowed etc.   Now look at them.

This is what we should do.   It doesn't matter people on here going oh are they good enough all thy have to be is the best we've got.   The be young Scottish players right now will bethe sScotland team in 5 years.  They can either have 30 caps by then or 3.

I also like their systemfor wee tteams it's perfect.   You gen an extra man in the three key areas entrepreneurshalf centre mid and up front two Iinstead of one, makes a team like Scotland much more solid but gives us a goal threat too.

I think a back three of say Martin,  Hanleyand kKingsley

Paterson and Robertson wing backs

Tierneyand fletcher holding

Then w have lots to choose from elsewhere,  try and fit gauld in too, nice wee mix of youth and experience etc we should be looking to head down that road and get the likes of Tierney,  Robertson,  Kingsley,  gauld, Paterson,  mcburnie,  watt, maybe the souttars in an couple of years as many caps as possible as quickly as possible. 

It's what we've needed to do since brown, only volts did that and loads of players progressed dramatically. 

This is the most incoherent and bullshit post ive ever read in pie and bovril history and that says loads. 

What on gods earth are you on about? 

8 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Watching one of the Walesgames they talked aabout toshack throwing in lots of kids who probably weren't 4eady used those exact words btw and gave them loads of caps loads of game time and experience played as many friendlies as allowed etc.   Now look at them.

This is what we should do.   It doesn't matter people on here going oh are they good enough all thy have to be is the best we've got.   The be young Scottish players right now will bethe sScotland team in 5 years.  They can either have 30 caps by then or 3.

I also like their systemfor wee tteams it's perfect.   You gen an extra man in the three key areas entrepreneurshalf centre mid and up front two Iinstead of one, makes a team like Scotland much more solid but gives us a goal threat too.

Then w have lots to choose from elsewhere,  try and fit gauld in too, nice wee mix of youth and experience etc we should be looking to head down that road and get the likes of Tierney,  Robertson,  Kingsley,  gauld, Paterson,  mcburnie,  watt, maybe the souttars in an couple of years as many caps as possible as quickly as possible. 

It's what we've needed to do since brown, only volts did that and loads of players progressed dramatically. 

Delete your account.

Good point, appallingly made

Mind that time Berti Vogts gave stars such as Steven Saunders, Kevin Kyle, Warren Cummings, Graeme Murty, Andy Gray, Robbie Stockdale & Scott Dobie caps? That really helped them go on to have sparkling Scotland careers.

Players should get in the squad if they're good enough, not because they are new or old.  Can we stop this eyesore of an argument now?

It's all lovely in hindsight to point at what Toshack did with Wales and say how great it was, but as the moonster points out, we can look at what vogts did with exactly the opposite. The reason Toshack looks good is because his players were good. We do not have those players.

Not that that'll stop the argument, because people will just say "aye, but what if they are?" Circular argument that will go round and round and round.

Foreameus sorry I misspelled your name a few posts back (foruranus).  But you seem to be talking out of it.

Our squad is crying out to be overhauled. Anyone in there right mind can see this. Youth is the way forward end of.

The tried and tested of throwing in bang average Dunderheeds just because there part of a 100 man premiership sqaud is not working.

Edited by kenny131

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Mind that time Berti Vogts gave stars such as Steven Saunders, Kevin Kyle, Warren Cummings, Graeme Murty, Andy Gray, Robbie Stockdale & Scott Dobie caps? That really helped them go on to have sparkling Scotland careers.

Players should get in the squad if they're good enough, not because they are new or old.  Can we stop this eyesore of an argument now?

mind the absolute shambles bertie vogts inherited because the craig brown era hit their pension age and we had nothing else on the brink of coming through because brown decided that playing over 35's was a better toption because they were already in the squad

why dont scotland try something, well i dunno completely radical, miles out there, completely bonkers, and plan for the future, all we do is fight fires every qualifying campaign instead of trying to prevent the same fires cropping up in the future

the scotland squad for the recent friendlies contained 3 defenders with over 20 caps, 2 of them are 30, the next highest capped player was a 35yo with 11 caps, over the last 12 months (outwith the recent friendlies) our highest capped defenders were aged 31, 31 and 32

the only other defender selected within the last 12 months with double figure caps is robertson (who was an amateur 4 years ago) and he has 10, the rest have barely any caps between them

this scenario is repeated throught the squad (in the last 12 months we had one striker under the age of 25 yet our 3 main strikers who are all 29yo have scored a grand total of 16 goals between them)

our squad is getting older, and lets be honest arent close to qualifying for any tournament, once these guys retire for international football in say 4 or 5 years (for the majority of them) we'll then be forced into throwing inexperienced 26-29yo's into the deep end, expecting them to qualify for tournaments and the cycle will simply repeat itself

In principle I agreed with what Vogts did and it did start the Scotland careers of Fletch and Faddy.
However it was the scattergun approach to it that arguably did more harm than good.
Strachan's idea for the Denmark and Czech games was a much more cautious version of it.
It remains to be seen if any who featured will be in qualifiers squads.

Guest DAVIDB69
The average age of our line up against Italy was 27. I've no idea why people assume thats old for an International side.

The dads army will all be back for the first qualifier we have an average age of pushing 30 oldest in Europe

Pa Broon gets a lot of stick for staying with the old guard for so long, but would we really have been much better by Berti's reign if Brown had been picking more youngsters in his last couple of years? Surely we just had a drop-off of talent that more experience couldn't mitigate, and that the national team boss doesn't have much control over.

Anyway, this has to be the most circular thread outside of the BRALT. Just agree that you're all wrong and WE'RE DOOMED!

^^^ not meant to be taken seriously, before anyone does.

So we are shite as our players are too old (they're not, they're just shit) - and that's not acceptable.

BUT

We are allowed to be shite if we just throw a load of kids into the team because one day, surely, they'll all come good. 

What an excellent thought process, I hope my club takes it up too. 

We have more chance of creating a togetherness and drill a style of play into a youthful team with years ahead to perfect it.  The dad's army we have now just ain't good enough and have failed miserably.

The fact a lot of our fans still seem to want the same old same old  is beyond me.

Lets see what your all saying come November when we're already out of qualifying,  I can see a few punters screaming for change 

People keep coming out with the same shite idea, lets drop our best players for, erm, worse players.

Young players need to be introduced at the right time, throwing them in and getting hammered isn't going to be any good for their development.

The standouts or top young players should always be in the squad though I think, get them used to be around the set up. Coming on for sub appearances ect. Not just thrown in at the deep end and heaping pressure on them to save our International team. There's clearly no quick fix here but dropping everyone and playing all the young guys isn't the answer.