Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

What a lot of shite. Really disappointing, thought he'd have had a chance by now, in the 1st team!!

I know you're joking but there will be some folk that think that. I read an article with him recently where he said he was still upbeat about the move.

He didn't get a pre season with them so no chance to impress and wasn't up to speed. They then had a great start to the season and were sitting 4th so he found it difficult to get into the side. Hopefully that changes now.

I know you're joking but there will be some folk that think that. I read an article with him recently where he said he was still upbeat about the move.

He didn't get a pre season with them so no chance to impress and wasn't up to speed. They then had a great start to the season and were sitting 4th so he found it difficult to get into the side. Hopefully that changes now.

I wasn't actually joking. When he first moved (is that 2 years ago now?) I genuinely thought he would've been given more of a chance in Sportings first team by now

He's coming up for 21, really needs to get playing regularly

40 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I wasn't actually joking. When he first moved (is that 2 years ago now?) I genuinely thought he would've been given more of a chance in Sportings first team by now

He's coming up for 21, really needs to get playing regularly

Their last coach was slowly building him into the team (starting him in the League Cup and sub appearances in the League towards the end of the 14/15 season), but then he was replaced by Jorge Jesus, which put Gauld right back at square one as the new coach had nothing to do with his signing and didn't have Gauld in any of his plans.

He needs to have a stormer at Setubal to have any kind of chance of making it at Sporting. Not a good start in that regard, admittedly, but as has been mentioned, he came in late and the team started the season well. Hopefully now that they've had a pretty bad loss there will be some rotation and he'll get a chance.

24 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Their last coach was slowly building him into the team (starting him in the League Cup and sub appearances in the League towards the end of the 14/15 season), but then he was replaced by Jorge Jesus, which put Gauld right back at square one as the new coach had nothing to do with his signing and didn't have Gauld in any of his plans.

He needs to have a stormer at Setubal to have any kind of chance of making it at Sporting. Not a good start in that regard, admittedly, but as has been mentioned, he came in late and the team started the season well. Hopefully now that they've had a pretty bad loss there will be some rotation and he'll get a chance.

2 years and no impact does not bode well I'm  afraid,  the fact he can't get regular starting slot at setubal suggests he is a million miles away from turning out for sporting.  I would have loved him to make it at sporting but in all honesty that ship looks to have sailed for him.  

He may have to move again in January as first team football is now imperative for him to develop as at 21 it's at the critical stage of his career and his next step will define which direction his path will take.

1 hour ago, Mccaughey85 said:

It would be better than him sitting on a bench. A move to a english championship team would of been good for him, get some proper game time under his belt.

Does last season in the second tier not count as proper game time? I wonder how that league rates in terms of quality to the spl. Can't be too dissimilar imo. 

17 hours ago, Mccaughey85 said:

I suppose thats the question, is second tier portugese football better than spl or championship football, i dont think it would be, i would rather him playing in english championship side every week rather than sitting on setubals bench or playing second tier portugese football. I dont think top flight portugese football is alot better than english championship. It is probably a good bit better than spl though.

Top flight portugese league is better than championship level surely. You've got Benfica, Porto and Sporting all of which manage to compete regularly at European level. You would expect most English europa league entrants to struggle against those teams.  You've teams like Braga who make it sometimes aswell. 

He is still pretty young, I think he's of an age where he's eligible for the under 21s.

He had two pretty full seasons playing in the Sporting B team, I think he's now in the first team squad and is on loan to a top flight club.  He's got pretty good levels of experience for a player of his age - played well over 100 senior games.  It's a big couple of seasons for him but hopefully he'll do well from it.

3 minutes ago, Mccaughey85 said:

The big three in portugal dominate, a bit like the big two dominate in the spl or used to until rangers fell away, then after that the quality dimishes greatly, the big three have struggled in europe the last few years. I would say the big three are better than the championship much like the big two in scotland used to be but as for the rest of the league teams they wont be much better if at all to the top half of the english championship. So personally i would prefer him playing every week in a league like the english championship rather than second tier portugese football or sitting on the bench in the top flight. Also the new sporting manager has no interest in him, the last manager was very keen on him and was giving him the odd run out for the first team.

Would you prefer he sat on a bench in the English championship or the Portuguese top flight though?

If we assume (for no obvious reason) that he's not going to make it at Sporting, why should the default alternative be going to England?  Why not the Netherlands, or Germany, or France? 
He's already shown that he's not one of those typical Brits who can't bear living outside the Anglophone world. 

Edited by Tulloch Gorum