Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Did I miss something? 

Yes

“Having Grant Hanley beside him helped Jack, Grant has done well for us. People talk about players’ use of the ball and they’d say that’s not part of his game. But as he gets more experience - and working with the German coach at Norwich - I think Grant has improved a lot in that department.

When I first spoke to him about coming back he was great. He missed one camp because of injury but I eventually got him back. He’s low maintenance. There’s no airs and graces about Grant. He comes in and does his job - a manager’s dream to be fair. When we talked he just wanted to know he was getting picked. And I was picking him. I brought him in to play. I like his qualities and I think he’s improved us.”

Edited by 2426255

17 hours ago, 2426255 said:

MLS isn't a great league at the moment, I thought the general consensus was that it is comparable to around lower Championship/ upper League 1 level. 

https://groundhopperguides.com/how-do-mls-teams-compare-to-english-teams/

I find this hard to believe but then I don't watch enough English football to say for sure. What I would say is the MLS is of a better standard than the Premier League in Scotland. Marshmallo incoming in 3..2..

I'm wondering if it's more to do with covid restrictions and having to quarantine on arrival than anything else. 

While the "not flying to just sit on the bench" looks poor (if true) it's completely understandable in the current climate where flying can mean having to sit on your arse for two weeks on arrival and/or return. 

8 minutes ago, velo army said:

I'm wondering if it's more to do with covid restrictions and having to quarantine on arrival than anything else. 

While the "not flying to just sit on the bench" looks poor (if true) it's completely understandable in the current climate where flying can mean having to sit on your arse for two weeks on arrival and/or return. 

I honestly don't think there is any need to look to deep into the reasoning with this, I think Steve Clarke was honest, he is happy with his options in attacking midfield. So Ryan Gauld needs to do a bit more or be patient. If Steve Clarke really wanted him, he would have joined up when Stuart Armstrong was injured last month.

17 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Aye, that's all well and good but the question is how should Ryan Gauld be judged if he is playing in a lower half Championship/ upper League 1 standard? Some might say no wonder he is thriving as the MLS is too easy for him. If I said that he is playing at a similar level to Ross Stewart at Sunderland I don't think that would go down too well with the Gauld fanboys on here but it's maybe not a million miles from the truth.

You think he's getting paid £40k a week to play in a league that is upper League 1 standard?

I've watched a few games and it looks pretty decent to me.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

You think he's getting paid £40k a week to play in a league that is upper League 1 standard?

I've watched a few games and it looks pretty decent to me.

Look, I get that as an Arab you have a pro Ryan Gauld bias, but you have to set it to one side mate.

I don't pretend to know the standard, I'm just going off other peoples views and I have asked other posters what level they think the MLS is at. I think it's possible Ryan Gauld is doing well over there because the quality of the league isn't very good. So yeah I think that could be the case. The UAE league and Chinese league pay high wages and I'm not sure how good their leagues are.

Based on seeing, as of this writing, more than 100 games live in England and around that many in the US, and watching the Portland Timbers every week, I think the level of play and individual quality in MLS looks about like the upper half of League One, maybe the lower stretches of the Championship. I think the very best teams in MLS — like Toronto’s double-winning 2017 side — would easily manage to stay in the Championship. But I don’t think they would challenge for promotion.

MLS vs the Premier League? Not competitive at all. You could set up a tournament with the three relegated Premier League clubs plus the MLS Cup finalists and the Supporters’ Shield winners, play a round-robin, and the American clubs might win a game from six.

Of course, none of this matters, because the leagues aren’t going to be playing each other for real. Nor are they actually competing for fans: Most MLS fans have an English side they support, and nobody cares. Just don’t think that America’s best would have any chance on the field against England’s.

Paul Gerald, Groundhopper Guides. Apr 2021

Edited by 2426255

I'd say he's nothing special. Sporting Lisbon didn't want to keep him. Vancouver Whitecaps were his most appealing offer when he left on a free contract. Can't make the Scotland National team. Isn't that enough to go on? He is always the standout in a team that isn't that great - isn't that the problem, if he put these numbers together for a team like Sporting Lisbon or even (let's face it) a Bournemouth he'd be in the National team no question.

Everyone on here wants to believe he's the new Messi, but the fact just don't bear it out whether you have the blinkers on or not. Steve Clarke will know all about Gauld given his pals Armstrong and Robertson have done what it takes to make the squad.

Edited by 2426255

25 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

As a guy who hasn't seen Gauld since he left Scotland. Anyone got an unbiased opinion on how good he is nowadays?

He was excellent at Farense last year. I watched a few of their games and everything went through him. They ultimately ended up relegated, but he was a standout player for them and widely recognised as one of the better players in the league; a league which is probably better than our top flight.

Haven’t really seen much of him at Vancouver yet, but the stats look like he’s carried on where he left off in Portugal, as an effective playmaker.

It’s not the biggest scandal that he’s not in the team, but I do think he’d contribute more than others who have had a chance recently and deserves a call up. 

Edited by Nightmare

14 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

a league which is probably better than our top flight.

A league which is miles better than our top flight! Why is our league held in such high esteem by some, it is piss poor! Our two best clubs are struggling in the Europa League and not one of our other clubs even made it into the conference. The reality is we have some decent players in Scotland, some real gems like McGinn and Robertson have come from nowhere but the overall standard in Scotland is poor. For Gauld to play as well as he did in the Portuguese league he must have something. I believe he is a similar level to Ryan Christie

Edited by tartanbrush

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Look, I get that as an Arab you have a pro Ryan Gauld bias, but you have to set it to one side mate.

I don't pretend to know the standard, I'm just going off other peoples views and I have asked other posters what level they think the MLS is at. I think it's possible Ryan Gauld is doing well over there because the quality of the league isn't very good. So yeah I think that could be the case. The UAE league and Chinese league pay high wages and I'm not sure how good their leagues are.

Paul Gerald, Groundhopper Guides. Apr 2021

Freesports cover the MLS pretty well. Try watching New England Revolution or Nashville (Hany Mukhtar is a fantastic striker) or Portland. Even teams down near the bottom like Toronto have got exciting players like Yeferson Soteldo (look him up). I hadn't watched too much until a couple of years ago but am now a fully paid up convert. A really exciting league. Honestly think Gauld is playing the best football of his career because he's found somewhere where he's happy and playing every week. I couldn't give a monkey's uncle if he gets picked  for Scotland or not. We have a long history of ignoring players who should play in favour of players who play for the right club sides. Gauld will simply be another of those.

Edited by Jimi Shandrix

14 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Freesports cover the MLS pretty well. Try watching New England Revolution or Nashville (Hany Mukhtar is a fantastic striker) or Portland. Even teams down near the bottom like Toronto have got exciting players like Yeferson Soteldo (look him up). I hadn't watched too much until a couple of years ago but am now a fully paid up convert. A really exciting league. Honestly think Gauld is playing the best football of his career because he's found somewhere where he's happy and playing every week. I couldn't give a monkey's uncle if he gets picked  for Scotland or not. We have a long history of ignoring players who should play in favour of players who play for the right club sides. Gauld will simply be another of those.

So how do you think the standard of the MLS league compares to the English pyramid and SPL considering you've been a regular viewer over the past couple of years?

I'm not making any wild arguments here, If Ryan Gauld was a high English championship level player playing in an equivilant to a low championship/ high league one level team would we see an outcome similar to that which we are seeing?

I think the evidence says he isn't doing enough to be in the Scotland squad. As far as I know it is mostly fan pressure and not pressure from ex players or media to get him in the squad, I could be wrong on that front.

Edited by 2426255

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

So how do you think the standard of the MLS league compares to the English pyramid and SPL considering you've been a regular viewer over the past couple of years?

Personally, I think it's miles better than anything we've got up here (OF included). I don't watch much English football but I'm guessing that the money involved down there, especially in the EPL puts the top half dozen or so English teams out in front of anything in North America. After that I wouldn't have thought there's much difference between say Leeds or Southampton and some of the sides I already mentioned. But that's just my take. Set yr video and make up your own mind.

11 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Personally, I think it's miles better than anything we've got up here (OF included). I don't watch much English football but I'm guessing that the money involved down there, especially in the EPL puts the top half dozen or so English teams out in front of anything in North America. After that I wouldn't have thought there's much difference between say Leeds or Southampton and some of the sides I already mentioned. But that's just my take. Set yr video and make up your own mind.

Right, so how would you feel about players such as Johnny Russell, Lewis Morgan and Danny Wilson playing for the NT? It doesn't really matter anyway - so what if Ryan Gauld is around Ryan Christie's level? does it really justify all the hype and 175 pages worth of posts? I'd say no. Is it a big deal if he doesn't get called up? - Again, I'd say no. 

Edited by 2426255

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Right, so how would you feel about players such as Johnny Russell, Lewis Morgan and Danny Wilson playing for the NT? 

Johnny Russell is a decent player but at 31, not really the future. Don't think Wilson is as good as Hanley or Hendry. Wouldn't mind seeing Lewis Morgan being at least considered. He's one of the better players in a pretty poor Inter Miami side.

22 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Right, so how would you feel about players such as Johnny Russell, Lewis Morgan and Danny Wilson playing for the NT? It doesn't really matter anyway - so what if Ryan Gauld is around Ryan Christie's level? does it really justify all the hype and 175 pages worth of posts? I'd say no. Is it a big deal if he doesn't get called up? - Again, I'd say no. 

Gauld is better than Christie but you're right, not a big deal if he gets called up, not a big deal if he doesn't. The sun still comes up tomorrow. Scotland will still be mid ranking jobbers.

17 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Did I miss something? I don't remember Hanley saying that.

I don't think he did, but Steve Clarke said along the lines of what Hanley wanted was to play. Which would also chime with him not being called up for some time, then going straight back into the starting lineup.

Sadly, I think it is probably more common than we think. The likes of Lewis Morgan, Declan Gallagher, Paul McGinnand Jon McLaughlin are happy to be squad players - Steven Fletcher, Robert Snodgrass, James McArthur and Alan McGregor maybe not so much.

18 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I'm not knowledgeable regarding the MLS, where in your opinion does the MLS fit when compared to European Leagues?

I don't agree with that theory based partly on what Ryan Gauld said in the press 2 months ago.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/international/ryan-gauld-sets-scotland-call-up-objective-after-mls-move-but-no-steve-clarke-talks-held-3333511

I don't really know to be honest. In European football there is a big drop off in quality after the top 5 leagues. Is the MLS as good as the Portuguese league? Probablt not you would say.

But I'm happy to stand corrected on Gaudl not wanting to be called up to the bench. It may be stubborness or wanting to keep the group together that has prevented Steve Clarke from calling him up - it surely isn't related to ability or performance. 

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I don't really know to be honest. In European football there is a big drop off in quality after the top 5 leagues. Is the MLS as good as the Portuguese league? Probably not you would say.

But I'm happy to stand corrected on Gauld not wanting to be called up to the bench. It may be stubborness or wanting to keep the group together that has prevented Steve Clarke from calling him up - it surely isn't related to ability or performance. 

I don't know if the MLS is better or worse than the Portuguese league, that's the truth. Ultimately, It makes no difference whether the logistics are too hard or Steve Clarke wants to keep a tight knit unit or he thinks Ryan Gauld isn't as good as what he already has. The bottom line is he has never been selected under Steve Clarke, Ryan Gauld wasn't picked in his 30 man preliminary squad for Euro 2020 and didn't pick him in this squad where he only selected 24 players.

It's in Steve Clarkes best interest to pick the best squad to get the results he needs to keep his job and so I'm happy to defer to his judgement on this. At present Ryan Gauld isn't doing enough to dislodge his competition meaning either Armstrong, Christie, McGinn et al have to decline or Ryan Gauld has to up his game further, simple as that.

Edited by 2426255