Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, he said a few months back that British football wasn't for him and he loved being in Portugal.  I reckon if Sporting want rid he'll get another club in Portugal no problem.

Suppose his chances at Sporting will hinge on whoever this nutjob President appoints next.

Yeah and I don't think they have loads of money just now so a player like him who is cheap young hungry actually relatively experienced for his age, fluent in Portuguese and desperate to impress while still being happy to be on the bench could be very appealing to them when they're trying to quickly cobble together a half decent squad this summer.

If not I don't think going back to aves would be a bad move.

Just now, Peppino Impastato said:

Yeah and I don't think they have loads of money just now so a player like him who is cheap young hungry actually relatively experienced for his age, fluent in Portuguese and desperate to impress while still being happy to be on the bench could be very appealing to them when they're trying to quickly cobble together a half decent squad this summer.

If not I don't think going back to aves would be a bad move.

I was thinking Sporting will probably just buy in players but probably not an attractive option for bigger names right now, not to mention losing players like Carvalho and Dost for f**k all when they'd have netted them millions in transfer fees, they might not have a lot to spend. 

Hopefully this is his chance.

I was thinking Sporting will probably just buy in players but probably not an attractive option for bigger names right now, not to mention losing players like Carvalho and Dost for f**k all when they'd have netted them millions in transfer fees, they might not have a lot to spend. 

Hopefully this is his chance.

I think for once he might have actually got really lucky with events transpiring in his favour.  Though the atmosphere around that club is bound to be mental and poisonous this year and they're guaranteed to have a shit season so it might not be a great place for a young player to be this year.  

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Why would Gauld swap glorious weather, delicious food and Portuguese babes for shite weather, sausage suppers, bigotry and fat Scottish birds?

Don't really want him at Rangers, would take him to enjoy the reactions on here but meh. 

You don't have a clue what level Gauld is at. No fan does.

I'm not going to pretend I've watched an awful lot of him but that reads very dramatic.  Are his skills unquantifiable here or something? 

1 minute ago, Stormzy said:

I'm not going to pretend I've watched an awful lot of him but that reads very dramatic.  Are his skills unquantifiable here or something? 

He's barely played 10 games in the last 18 months due to injury and a new manager coming into the club he was on loan at.  His skills are obviously quantifiable, but you need to see those skills to be able to quantify them. You admit you haven't seen him but judge he's not good enough.

He's barely played 10 games in the last 18 months due to injury and a new manager coming into the club he was on loan at.  His skills are obviously quantifiable, but you need to see those skills to be able to quantify them. You admit you haven't seen him but judge he's not good enough.

Yeah I was looking for a bite if i'm honest with you, he looked very good before he went, I've not really followed him. If he's barely played 10 games in 18 months then i'd be fairly confident that he's not what we need right now. Of course if we got him for free due to the situation in Portugal right now then we'd be foolish to turn him down. One thing I can say with certainty is that if he was to ever sign for Rangers then he would undoubtedly become pish on here over night. 

4 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Yeah I was looking for a bite if i'm honest with you, he looked very good before he went, I've not really followed him. If he's barely played 10 games in 18 months then i'd be fairly confident that he's not what we need right now. Of course if we got him for free due to the situation in Portugal right now then we'd be foolish to turn him down. One thing I can say with certainty is that if he was to ever sign for Rangers then he would undoubtedly become pish on here over night. 

He's had a couple of injuries which kept him out for a few months, then Aves changed manager and he barely got a look in. Of course it could just be made up paper talk, but Tottenham and Liverpool are both apparently keeping tabs on Gauld's situation as well. I don't think people would say he was shite, you'll get plenty of people saying he lacks ambition (and some hoping he fails - we've seen that in here already though) and probably a few being disappointed that he's come back to Scotland when he's been adamant that he wants to better himself abroad for the last 2 or 3 years.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He's had a couple of injuries which kept him out for a few months, then Aves changed manager and he barely got a look in. Of course it could just be made up paper talk, but Tottenham and Liverpool are both apparently keeping tabs on Gauld's situation as well. I don't think people would say he was shite, you'll get plenty of people saying he lacks ambition (and some hoping he fails - we've seen that in here already though) and probably a few being disappointed that he's come back to Scotland when he's been adamant that he wants to better himself abroad for the last 2 or 3 years.

Very sensible post, can't find anything to argue with which is why I initially commented, I wish the kid well wherever he decides to go if anywhere. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He's played about 35 games in the last eighteen months champ

Very sensible post, can't find anything to argue with which is why I initially commented, I wish the kid well wherever he decides to go if anywhere. 
Welcome to...
He's actually played 67 games in the last two seasons.  This belief many seem to have that he hasn't played much recently just isn't true. 

Seven of Sporting's key players - including Bas Dost and Willy Carvalho - tore up their contracts yesterday claiminig "just cause" after the attack at the training ground. Very likely it'll go to court and it'll be for the Portugese Legal System to define the legality of the players position, but if it does go down that route and the players are cleared to terminate, that'll leave a big gap in Sprting's midfield, and could be a huge oportunity for Gauld to stake a claim.

Purely anecdotal obviously, but one of my mates is in Lisbon at the moment on holiday, and any time he mentions he's Scottish and a football fan (all the time) the locals have nothing but positive things to say about Gauld. Fingers crossed this is his breakout season.