Gibraltarwatch

HibeeJibee

If you thought the Spanish seeth over Gibraltar was bad wait until The Falkland Islands are admitted to UEFA...

The Kelpers certainly would be seething, as their nearest FIFA confederation is CONMEBOL

The Brazilians, Chileans and Uruguayans (the latter also having a claim to the Falklands) would welcome the Falklands into their organisation just to watch the Argies go into meltdown.

Not scoring any more goals after being 7-0 up after 56 minutes is an insult to the fans that forked out plenty and were denied probably the only chance they'll ever have of seeing their team get double figures.

I hope we go for the throat to be honest. Double figures is achievable.

Very achievable.

This is a total pub side. The likes of the Shire or Stirling Albion would beat Gibraltar.

If both Poland and Eire can put 7 past them we should be able to do something similar - although I imagine that Gibraltar will start focusing on keeping the score down as their absolute priority, if it wasn't before - I noticed some comments on the BBC feed during the Eire game that "at least they aren't trying to park the bus" and "at least they want to get forward when possible"... that's a luxury you can't always afford when you're getting pumped.

Last night's score was at least fairly respectable, and they'll be pleased they stood-up after yet again going behind early. Next up a chastened Germany...

If both Poland and Eire can put 7 past them we should be able to do something similar - although I imagine that Gibraltar will start focusing on keeping the score down as their absolute priority, if it wasn't before - I noticed some comments on the BBC feed during the Eire game that "at least they aren't trying to park the bus" and "at least they want to get forward when possible"... that's a luxury you can't always afford when you're getting pumped.

Last night's score was at least fairly respectable, and they'll be pleased they stood-up after yet again going behind early. Next up a chastened Germany...

They'll learn the San Marino tricks of multiple player injuries and general timewasting nonsense to break up play effectively soon enough.

They'll learn the San Marino tricks of multiple player injuries and general timewasting nonsense to break up play effectively soon enough.

Andorra and San Marino are a good (or bad) illustration... Andorra kick people off the park, get loads of reds and yellows, and generally keep their scores down. San Marino do that less and take more pumpings. Gibraltar should be able to do better than either, as they have a smatterring of professionals, but they'll need to become savvier. And even then they'll be more thrashings along the way.

To put some perspective on things, though:

* San Marino have only ever won 1 international (in 2004) and have only ever drawn 3 internationals (in 1993 - v Turkey!! - 2001 & 2003)

* Andorra have only ever won 3 internationals (most recent being in 2004) and drawn 11

Gibraltar recorded 1 win and 2 draws in their first season.

Against who?

Slovakia (0-0 draw in Faro, Portugal).

Estonia (1-1 draw in Tallinn).

Malta (1-0 home win).

EDIT: They previously beat the Faroes 3-0 at home in 2011 but this isn't recognised as an official international.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Always wonder how the likes of Gibraltar would fair in the Scottish leagues.

I suspect they would get on OK. I can't agree with HB's comments about losing to East Stirlingshire or Stirling Albion: those clubs would not (IMO) keep the score down in competitive action against the likes of Poland or Eire; beat Slovakia or Estonia; run Georgia close; etc etc.? Scotland only beat Georgia 1-0 on Saturday.

In 2011 Gibraltar beat England C (the Conference select) 3-1. Hibs played their home-based players in 2013 pre-season, and won 3-1, and Charlton beat them 2-0. They beat a weakened Portsmouth 4-0 in 2012 pre-season then beat Notts County 3-1. In January 2012 they beat Bury 2-1, in pre-season 2011 lost 2-1 to Rochdale. Again all essentially without their overseas contingent.

With their overseas professionals, I'd speculate they'd perhaps be somewhere in our Championship. And afterall they have a mix of professionals and English-based semi-pros, and some players who are amateur in Gibraltar might well be bottom-end pro/semi-pro here, which wouldn't be dissimilar to QotS, Raith, Dumbarton, etc. But like anything it's largely an impossible concept to define, just like it would be to ask how Georgia would get on in the English league system, or how Scotland would get on in La Liga.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Someone on social media says 281, but that seems low, as they got 1,620 v Poland according to Soccerway.

They've been talking about moving next year's qualifiers to London following issues over Portuguese taxation, crowds, and travel issues with Spain.

e.g. Gibraltar only has direct flights to UK+Morocco.

Edited by HibeeJibee