Footballing Clichés

Seymour Skinner

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any quite-good-but-not-that-good foreign teams are described as "outfits". I.e. marseille are "the French outfit"

Unless they're from Eastern Europe, in which case they are some 'crack' team.

Also applicable to a Keith "gentleman" Lasley horror challenge.

He isn't that kind of player, he didn't mean to injure the boy when he went in two footed into the guys shin, snapping it in two. He's quite upset in that dressing room, which is obviously some consolation to the opposition player

He isn't that kind of player, he didn't mean to injure the boy when he went in two footed into the guys shin, snapping it in two. He's quite upset in that dressing room, which is obviously some consolation to the opposition player

I expect the player was "disappointed" with that challenge.

Think there can be anything up to 100, seeing as some balls are 50/50

Ah but then there's also the ball that's there to be won, and the ball he had no right to win. And don't forget the hospital ball, the outrageous ball and the obvious ball (apparently the latter two are often unexpected and ignored respectively...so it's understandable you may have missed them).

Ah but then there's also the ball that's there to be won, and the ball he had no right to win. And don't forget the hospital ball, the outrageous ball and the obvious ball (apparently the latter two are often unexpected and ignored respectively...so it's understandable you may have missed them).

And not to forget the ball that can go 'through the eye of a needle'.

The one that's really getting on my nerves at the moment is when a performance is described as "brave" i.e. when a minnow manages to avoid getting an absolute pasting from a far superior team but still ends up losing the game by about one or two goals.

"It was a brave performance by Iceland but they succumbed to two goals by Croatia in the end."

This changing of the definition of the word "brave" by commentators has to be the most ridiculous thing to happen to football coverage.

The one that's really getting on my nerves at the moment is when a performance is described as "brave" i.e. when a minnow manages to avoid getting an absolute pasting from a far superior team but still ends up losing the game by about one or two goals.

"It was a brave performance by Iceland but they succumbed to two goals by Croatia in the end."

This changing of the definition of the word "brave" by commentators has to be the most ridiculous thing to happen to football coverage.

I was thinking about this one earlier. Do you think a player in the minnow team has ever ever thought they were 'brave' against a big team? Ever? It's not the feeling that I can imagine any player in history having under these circumstances. "Ach, at least we were brave". No. Cock off.

Archived