Footballing Clichés

Seymour Skinner

League games being referred to as the "bread and butter"

That is one of my favourites. I was playing 5s on Wednesday and missed an absolute sitter. My friend said to me "come on mun, that is bed and breakfast to you". Everyone started laughing as he quickly corrected himself to say "bread and butter" But it does remind me of the time where Stuart Pearce was Man City manager and they finally got a win after a bad run, he stated "We can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel". WOT?

'Second-season syndrome'. When a promoted team stays in the Premiership, then struggles the next.

Yeah Ross County are having "second-season syndrome". Amazing since our current team is considerably worse than last years, but it is definitely the work of this syndrome and not anything else.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is one of my favourites. I was playing 5s on Wednesday and missed an absolute sitter. My friend said to me "come on mun, that is bed and breakfast to you". Everyone started laughing as he quickly corrected himself to say "bread and butter" But it does remind me of the time where Stuart Pearce was Man City manager and they finally got a win after a bad run, he stated "We can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel". WOT?

Yeah Ross County are having "second-season syndrome". Amazing since our current team is considerably worse than last years, but it is definitely the work of this syndrome and not anything else.

Excellent :lol: Everybody's got a mate that's a bit touched.

Away goals count double. f**k off.

I was in Australia 12 years ago when they were playing Uruguay in a WC play off 2nd leg in Montevideo. They had won the first leg in Melbourne 1-0 but were losing 3-0 in Uruguay. Aussie bloke I was watching the match with was convinced they only needed one goal to level the tie cos "away goals count double, mate". He had heard the phrase so many times he must have assumed it was true.

I don't know if it could be filed under cliche but

" he wants to be on that plane"

" everyone wants to be on that plane"

" players need to up thier game to get on that plane"

Plane plane fucking plane, such an irritating thing when describing making a World Cup squad. Just say

" he needs to up his game to make the World Cup squad"

"Everyone want a place in the squad"

Fucking horrendous expression.

I don't know if it could be filed under cliche but

" he wants to be on that plane"

" everyone wants to be on that plane"

" players need to up thier game to get on that plane"

Plane plane fucking plane, such an irritating thing when describing making a World Cup squad. Just say

" he needs to up his game to make the World Cup squad"

"Everyone want a place in the squad"

Fucking horrendous expression.

:lol: I genuinely buckled at that :lol::lol::lol:

Archived