Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if it's been mentioned on here yet but in section 29 of the Edinburgh Agreement it states that...

"It is customary for there to be a period before elections in the UK, during which Ministers and other public bodies refrain from publishing material that would have a bearing on the election. Section 125 of PPERA sets out the restrictions that apply to Ministers and public bodies in the 28 days preceding referendums held under that Act. Both governments recognise the importance of respecting the 28-day period prior to a referendrum...."

Breach of the rules by BT?

UK Govt aren't legally bound by this, they had a gentleman's agreement to stick by it instead

One of the many many reasons there needs to be massive constitutional change in the UK.

Too many blame their problems on someone else. People need to take responsibility for their own lives and getting rid of the Westminster/English tory/Oxbridge bogemen will go some way towards doing that in Scotland.

I agree completely.

I was just watching the BBC News channel. Isn't it interesting that all Labour MPs are being told to get up to Scotland to campaign but Tory MPs are being told to stay quiet and above all; stay out of Scotland. The Tories, whether we like it or not, are our ruling party at the highest level of governance in the country. And they are being told to stay away.

And doesn't that just sum up why we need to be independent?

Alex Salmond has unilaterally decided not have a separate Scottish defence force after independence. Without consulting his party he has announced that all Scottish military personnel would remain under the command of the Ministry of Defence in London. He also hinted that he would agree to drop the demand that Trident missiles be removed from the Clyde.

The Unionist parties accepted the radical change in policy with good grace and said although it was late in the day and some people had already voted, it was acceptable to alter the offer to voters in an agreed period of purdah. They didn’t ask why this policy hadn’t been proposed in the preceding two years and didn’t inquire how it dovetailed with the overall independence plan. ‘It’s fine with us’, said Better Together. ‘Constantly changing policy without consultation or detail or working out the implications is part and parcel of the democratic process. We welcome this intervention.’

As if…can you imagine the indignation and outrage that would erupt if there was a last-minute switch by the SNP or Yes? Can you imagine the gales of ridicule that would descend upon them from the scoffing Jim Murphys and compliant Press, not to mention the obsequious BBC which deems its role in our society to be page-boy to the great and good?

Instead we hear grandiloquent statements about Devo Max – where the hell did that come from – or federalism – where are you David Torrance – and radical, even ‘huge’ powers according to Nick Robinson. It isn’t just the Unionist parties who have lost the plot – it is the entire country epitomised by the media which proves daily in this process how it lacks the critical faculties expected of normal journalists.

Who in the media is this morning pointing out the flat contradictions between statements and promises between Brown and Darling or Brown and Balls? Labour’s own diluted proposals on tax-raising announced earlier in the year were ridiculed at the time. Now they form the basis of a ‘radical’ new offer verging on federalism. We are entering the world of 1984 where words mean the opposite of their original meaning.

Democracy is being gazumped. Even the STUC is going public with its misgivings about last minute changes and lack of consultation. If this can be put together in days and fixed up in months how come it didn’t happen earlier…

The world knows this is a last throw of the dice for a losing campaign designed to fool enough of the uncritical Labour constituency which desperately wants to believe no eggs need be broken. Some will read the dishonest drivel of the Record and give up their aspiration for real change, no doubt. But if the groundwork has been done properly, the movement is already too strong, the polls are behind the trend and it has become unstoppable. The UK is beginning to look ridiculous.

Saw this comment on the BBC feed.

Jill McNicol: Is this more serious? Do the UK government know the result of the postal votes so far and that is creating the panic?

Probably not but it's a great thought anyway. Have they started counting the postal votes?

Wow you are nationalistic.

Salmond is doing well, he's really stirred you up.

Tell me whats happening "up there" thats so diffent to Sunderland, Lancaster or Bangor. You having a s*** time of it like most of the EU? Tell me why you are so diffent?

What is happening up there?

I live in an area completely diffent to London or the south, I want to manage my own affairs, why do you hae the right and me not?

Why does Skye, Lewis, Orkney or Shetland have to go along with the decision ? Will they be given the vote to join Norway?

How ridiculously arrogant.

You're at the wind up here aren't you?

Brown woos Scots with thrilling timetable

GORDON Brown has pledged to save Britain with an exciting timetable of parliamentary debates.

The former prime minister said that if Scots voted ‘no’ then politicians at Westminster would have a debate about something in November.

There would be at least one more debate after that and then the politicians at Westminster would vote about something in January, or February at the latest.

Speaking to some working class Scottish people, Brown added: “I personally guarantee that these debates will include the words ‘Scotland’ and ‘possibly’.”

Bill McKay, an Edinburgh man who pollsters have identified as the person who will decide the referendum, said: “Christ almighty, that’s a nice timetable.

“If it had been March I would have walked up to Gordon Brown and told him to ‘f**k right off’. But January, well that’s a bit special.”

He added: “I now feel myself wobbling towards ‘no’. But that could change because I haven’t really been listening.”

Sorry, please point out where i mentioned the Scottish?

Are the English for Yes people being nationalistic? Italians for Yes? What about the Scots Asians for Yes?

Its about Scotland, a country, wanting to govern itself, for the benefit of everyone here, now and in the future, no matter where they have come from.

And as sorry as I feel for the people of Sunderland, Lancaster or Bangor for not being in a position to escape from Westminster rule, the basic unit of national democrary is the country, not the city, region or town.

Solidarity can only go so far.

You said it was a put down to compare Scotland to a region of England after I compared it to Yorkshire.

An area of the UK that used to have it's own monachy, army and has a population almost Identical to Scotland, and has a distinct diffence in it's genetic makeup when compared to the south east of England.

Comparing Yorkshire and Scotland is fair and if you think that's a put down, then thats because you feel superior somehow.

Thats nationalism for you.

Im not British, Im euopean and want to fight Nationalists like Alex Salmond and Nigel Farage. A no vote effectly gives Devo Max now anyway, so voting Yes is pure Nationalistic bravado, all the risk with no extra potenial gains, if indeed they are gains.

They've cancelled PMQ's tomorrow so they can all come up and patronise us, #panickinglikefcuk.

oops, it's only the leaders that are cancelling their appearance to come up and patronise us, #almostpanickinglikefcuk.

Archived