Scottish Independence

xbl

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is the case why have Better Together spent the last year or so telling us that they are all Patriotic Scots?

I generally agree with what he says there, but you're right, all this 'proud to be Scottish' patter is just cringeworthy, and something that Darling is very guilty of.

One of the things about this debate that I take most issue with is the (over)use of the term 'nationalist'. People genuinely seem to think it is a term for a Yes voter or SNP figure in the same way that, say, 'Tory' is for a Conservative. That just shows a blatant misunderstanding of what the word means, because I will be voting Yes, and if there was a Holyrood election tomorrow I would be voting SNP - but I am absolutely opposed to nationalist politics.

Anyone from BitterTogether criticising the flag-waving element of the debate is absolutely correct - but then how do they account for the nationalism within their own ranks which, from my general observations anyway, seems to be actually more rife there than it is in the Yes camp?

I generally agree with what he says there, but you're right, all this 'proud to be Scottish' patter is just cringeworthy, and something that Darling is very guilty of.

One of the things about this debate that I take most issue with is the (over)use of the term 'nationalist'. People genuinely seem to think it is a term for a Yes voter or SNP figure in the same way that, say, 'Tory' is for a Conservative. That just shows a blatant misunderstanding of what the word means, because I will be voting Yes, and if there was a Holyrood election tomorrow I would be voting SNP - but I am absolutely opposed to nationalist politics.

Anyone from BitterTogether criticising the flag-waving element of the debate is absolutely correct - but then how do they account for the nationalism within their own ranks which, from my general observations anyway, seems to be actually more rife there than it is in the Yes camp?

Did you seriously just criticise the tone of the debate and then use the term 'Bitter Together' in the next sentence?

Seriously?

Did you seriously just criticise the tone of the debate and then use the term 'Bitter Together' in the next sentence?

Seriously?

Given it is that side who are indeed most guilty of muddying the waters with lazy terms like 'nationalist' as a result of nothing but their sheer hatred of the SNP and the very real emergence of the Scottish Independence movement, it's a perfectly apt term.

Pipe down, sport.

Given it is that side who are indeed most guilty of muddying the waters with lazy terms like 'nationalist' as a result of nothing but their sheer hatred of the SNP and the very real emergence of the Scottish Independence movement, it's a perfectly apt term.

Pipe down, sport.

I agree but you can't complain about them for doing something and then immediately do something similar in response.

The Yes campaign must take the moral high ground if we are going to win enough people round. By all means point out the negativity and underhand tactics but do so in a way which will welcome undecided voters in - not turn them off with petty squabbling.

Nice to see Westminster staying out of it, with William Hague turning up in Glasgow today, to tell us again that we'll have to reapply for the EU.

He should be asked, 'Where's the Organ Grinder'?

It must have hurt Severin Carrell to write this stuff.

"FCO analysis moves the UK government closer to the Scottish government's insistence that the EU is unlikely to adopt a strict, orthodox position on an independent Scotland's application"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jan/17/independent-scotland-special-eu-deal-uk

William Hague was a good choice to talk about the potential consequences of independence IMO, as he doesn't have a track record for scaremongering bullshit when it comes to Scotland: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/politics97/news/08/0808/hague.shtml

Mr Hague said Scottish voters should look to the future and that four or five years into a Scottish parliament they would be disappointed, disillusioned and depressed, and living in a high tax ghetto.

The independence debate needs these other voices to be heard.

Must be loads of folk that would support independence but maybe don't like the SNP. Thing is the SNP will probably not last very long after independence as their raison d'etre will be gone.

On second thoughts mibbes that's a reason to vote no. The thought of prime minister Lamont!!!

The independence debate needs these other voices to be heard. Must be loads of folk that would support independence but maybe don't like the SNP. Thing is the SNP will probably not last very long after independence as their raison d'etre will be gone. On second thoughts mibbes that's a reason to vote no. The thought of prime minister Lamont!!!

On independence we need to have an Oil Fund enshrined in law, Lamont & Co just want to spend it all, I'm voting for a new brighter future, not the same old one with Scotland independent.

Nice to see Westminster staying out of it, with William Hague turning up in Glasgow today, to tell us again that we'll have to reapply for the EU.

He should be asked, 'Where's the Organ Grinder'?

Only danger to Scotland in the EU is the Tory referendum

That would be an utterly ridiculous idea.

No it wouldn't, if it's left to politicians it would be pished against the wall,other than the portion required to service our national debt the rest should be left to accrue + or -compound interest through the markets.

Short term pain for sustainable long term gain.

No it wouldn't, if it's left to politicians it would be pished against the wall,other than the portion required to service our national debt the rest should be left to accrue + or -compound interest through the markets.

Short term pain for sustainable long term gain.

That could be like having to put £100 in a savings account at the same time as having to borrow £100 from Wonga to meet your monthly bills.

That could be like having to put £100 in a savings account at the same time as having to borrow £100 from Wonga to meet your monthly bills.

That's a better option than we currently have under a Westminster regime. We get a better rate from Wonga

That's a better option than we currently have under a Westminster regime. We get a better rate from Wonga

I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about to be honest.

Archived