Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

49 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Just to show that you used the word most you disingenuous shitebag.

Thanks for the compliment :D

OK, I jumped the gun and used the wrong word, but my points still stands.  Most Scots don't vote for parties that support independence, nor do most of the Scottish electorate or most of those who vote.

2 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

That's al true but still doesn't mean "the majority of Scots do not support indepence suporting parites" is not true given the debate is around Scots rather than Scots who vote. It would be equally true to say the majority of Scots don't support unionist parties using the same paramaters. 

He didn't say majority - he said most which has completely different connotations.

10 hours ago, Johnny Martin said:

At the last Holyrood election, independence supporting parties got less than 50% of constituency votes.  Going by the list is daft as you've got all the single issue wildcard parties that muddy the waters.

Using either the list or the constituency vote is disingenuous, as the Indy vote will be boosted by around 5% by the Labour voters who will vote "Yes" in a referendum. No other party splits by as much as 70:30 on this subject

The only reason that you've picked the FPTP constituency vote (i.e. the least democratic option available), is that it effectively excludes 2 of the 3 main independence supporting parties, as one doesn't stand at all in constituencies, and the other only stands in a handful.

However, using the regional list gives every party a realistic represenrtation and you don't need the single-issue parties to get an indy majority. If we restict our count to the top 6 parties (i.e. those that got over 1%), Indy supporting parties took over 50% of votes cast. The game's a bogey for the Yoons as soon as you add the Alba vote

SNP 40.34%, Greens 8.12%, Alba 1.66% TOTAL 50.12%

Tories 24.39%, Labour 17.19%, Lib Dems 5.06% TOTAL 45.74%

Scots don't want independence - plain and simple.

Didn't you mean "The scottish electorate voted against independence nearly 9 years ago, and the Yoons are terrified of asking them again"?

As I'm sure you are aware, the Scottish electorate is not totally made up of people who consider themselves Scots

We aren't ruled by Westminster.

Don't you believe in the English Doctrine of Parliamentary Superiority then? Surprising for a Yoon

9 hours ago, RuMoore said:

feel free to lash out like last time and spend 2 days down voting all my posts, it suits you better. 

It was one of your multi-banned aliases that introduced what you referred to a "retaliatory dotting" to the forum. I'm just responding in kind. 

I would point out, however, that I spent around 5 minutes dotting around 15 of your nonsensical posts in the Politics forum, not "2 days" as you claim. In addition, I didn't follow you around the whole board, dotting random posts on non-political subjects. For instance, what did you find so objectionable about this exchange?

On 20/07/2023 at 11:58, barnseytheclaret said:
Looking forward to Forfar-Arbroath: a local derby!  Keep an eye out for 3 random Burnley shirts!

On 20/07/2023, I replied

Aye, these maroon & light blue shirts will really stand out amongst both the Arbroath & Forfar colours 😀

Anyway, I feel another wee dotting spree coming on, so I'm preparing for a week long binge this time. See you in the notifications pages.

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

It was one of your multi-banned aliases that introduced what you referred to a "retaliatory dotting" to the forum. I'm just responding in kind. 

I would point out, however, that I spent around 5 minutes dotting around 15 of your nonsensical posts in the Politics forum, not "2 days" as you claim. In addition, I didn't follow you around the whole board, dotting random posts on non-political subjects. For instance, what did you find so objectionable about this exchange?

On 20/07/2023 at 11:58, barnseytheclaret said:
Looking forward to Forfar-Arbroath: a local derby!  Keep an eye out for 3 random Burnley shirts!

On 20/07/2023, I replied

Aye, these maroon & light blue shirts will really stand out amongst both the Arbroath & Forfar colours 😀

Anyway, I feel another wee dotting spree coming on, so I'm preparing for a week long binge this time. See you in the notifications pages.

IMG_20201201_094015.jpg

25 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Exactly how is András Aratóa, a Hungarian retired electrical engineer relevant to the politixs thread? Are you hoping to be banned again for spamming the thread?

Why, in the name of the wee man, are you investing any of your time in the likes of stormzy?

10 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Exactly how is András Aratóa, a Hungarian retired electrical engineer relevant to the politixs thread? Are you hoping to be banned again for spamming the thread?

At your big age too...

Someone's going to have a belter of a hangover. 

11 hours ago, sophia said:

Why, in the name of the wee man, are you investing any of your time in the likes of stormzy?

Oh shit, that's Stormzy?

Disappointed that there was no "just here to troll the Nats" message at the start of this account. That's the kind of behaviour we should be encouraging. Nobody can complain about still reading at that point.

22 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Using either the list or the constituency vote is disingenuous, as the Indy vote will be boosted by around 5% by the Labour voters who will vote "Yes" in a referendum. No other party splits by as much as 70:30 on this subject

The only reason that you've picked the FPTP constituency vote (i.e. the least democratic option available), is that it effectively excludes 2 of the 3 main independence supporting parties, as one doesn't stand at all in constituencies, and the other only stands in a handful.

However, using the regional list gives every party a realistic represenrtation and you don't need the single-issue parties to get an indy majority. If we restict our count to the top 6 parties (i.e. those that got over 1%), Indy supporting parties took over 50% of votes cast. The game's a bogey for the Yoons as soon as you add the Alba vote

SNP 40.34%, Greens 8.12%, Alba 1.66% TOTAL 50.12%

Tories 24.39%, Labour 17.19%, Lib Dems 5.06% TOTAL 45.74%

70/30, who told you that.. Sean Clerkin?  You're overstating the proportion of Yesser Labour voters in recent elections.  There are SNP voters who would vote No too btw.

Your mind-reading skills have let you down, as that isn't the reason for me picking the FPTP constituency vote at all.  The reason I chose it was to counter DeeTillEdDeh's mental point that a majority of parties vote for parties who want independence.  They don't.  It's also far more logical to use the constituency vote as a barometer of support for partition over the list, because people vote for wildcards on the list.

I see you left out lots of the parties when adding up your totals.. I wonder why? ;)

Didn't you mean "The scottish electorate voted against independence nearly 9 years ago, and the Yoons are terrified of asking them again"?

As I'm sure you are aware, the Scottish electorate is not totally made up of people who consider themselves Scots

No, I meant that Scots don't want independence.

Don't you believe in the English Doctrine of Parliamentary Superiority then? Surprising for a Yoon

What are you on about?

The greens only getting 8% as a second choice shows how much of a weirdo shit show they've become. A proper green party focusing on renewable energy / energy efficiency should be pulling in 20-25% of a list vote at least. Insisting they're an indy party to get a suck on the glans of power probably costs them a large chunk of that. Anyone whose prime concern is indy will vote SNP/alba.

Edited by orfc
Reason for edit

17 minutes ago, Johnny Martin said:

70/30, who told you that.. Sean Clerkin? 

Clerekin is a useful idiot for the Yoon side, isn't he. In recent times, I note that only Yoons post his pathetic videos.

If you look back at my previous posts, you won't find anything from me supporting his nonsense. In particular, I recall calling him a racist idiot when he stood on the A1 border north of Berwick with his "English Out Of Scotland" banner during lockdown.

24 minutes ago, Johnny Martin said:

You're overstating the proportion of Yesser Labour voters in recent elections. 

As you well know, 'recent elections' don't measure support for "Yes" However, most datasets for recent polling on Indy break down support by recalled vote at previous elections.

Here are some recent polling figures (June & July 2023) for "Labour Yes" based on 2019 Westminster votes (all taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_Scottish_independence). In every case I have stripped out don't know & would not vote 

Redfield & Wilton July 2023 - Labour Yes 28.4% 

YouGov June 2023 - Labour Yes 33.7%

Survation - June 2023 - Labour Yes 27.8%

Find Out Now/Independent Voices  June 2023 - Labour Yes 25.4%

Panelbase June 2023 - Labour Yes 27.0%

Savanta June 2023 - Labour Yes 30.0%

Find Out Now - Alba Party - Labour Yes 37.8%

Redfield & Wilton June 2023 - Labour Yes 28.0%

I make that an average of 29.8% Accordingly, If I am overstating the proportion, it's by a massive 0.2 percentage points. Effectively, 30 out of every 100 Labour voters that expressed an opinion say they would vote "Yes" at a referendum.

1 hour ago, Johnny Martin said:

There are SNP voters who would vote No too btw.

Yes, I know. That's why I specifically said that "No other party splits by as much as 70:30 on this subject"

Some ballpark figures suggest that around 8% CON, 10% SNP & 15% LD voters would vote against their party's stated position

1 hour ago, Johnny Martin said:

The reason I chose it was to counter DeeTillEdDeh's mental point that a majority of parties vote for parties who want independence.  They don't.  It's also far more logical to use the constituency vote as a barometer of support for partition over the list, because people vote for wildcards on the list.

I assume that you mean 'voters' rather than 'parties' the first time you use that word? Otherwise your point makes no sense. I note that your method (constituency votes) gives Alba 0% and the Greens 1.3%. Even you must admit that these figures are totally unrealistic. 

Accordingly, the list vote is far more representative. It's actually there to balance out the exrtemes of FPTP. All these 'wildcards' have a position on Indy

2 hours ago, Johnny Martin said:

I see you left out lots of the parties when adding up your totals.. I wonder why? ;)

Because the first 3 indy-supporting parties hoovered up a majority (50.12%) between them. Even if every other party was full of frothing rabid Yoons,  the maximum total "No" could reach would be 49.88%. That's how democracy works.

No, I meant that Scots don't want independence.

The Scottish electorate isn't made up of Scots. There are numerous other nationalities entitled to vote. In addition, your figures are nearly 9 years out of date. The Yoons are scared to ask us a second time,

What are you on about?

The Doctrine of Parliamentary Superiority (aka Parliamentary Supremacy or Parliamentary Soverignty). it holds that the legislative body (i.e. Westminster) has absolute sovereignty and is supreme over all other government institutions, including executive or judicial bodies. It's a cornerstone of the UK's unwritten constitution.

It means that we are currently ruled by Westminster.