Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

1 minute ago, KirkieRR said:

And blaming the olds is lazy, unevidenced, the sort of young you get from people who use 'boomer' as if it means something.

If "boomer" is just being used to mean "old" then that's useless analysis. However, there is a genuine point to the unique voting patterns of the baby boomer generation in UK and USA. They benefited from the keynesianism of the New Deal era (US) or post-war consensus (Europe) but ushered in Regan's and Thatcher's neoliberalism, the fruits of which they enjoyed for themselves as a one-off, generational reward. We're obviously talking in general terms here, plenty baby boomer generation individuals who didn't vote that way and have been as harmed by the effects as anyone else.

It's also worth considering how the "boomer" or "old voters" paradigm vastly changes with geography. In the recent Georgia protests, I listened to an interview with a Gen Z protester suggesting older Georgians didn't know what democracy was so weren't out protesting. Frustrating ignorance from him. The reason older Georgians are more sceptical is because they lived through the dramatic fall in living standards Georgia experienced in the 1990s so grew wary of the potential pitfalls to radical political upheaval. 

43 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Sadly I think you are in denial. Plenty of our own local tories. And plenty of the English born are absolutely not tories.

I'm not in any denial, and to yourself and the others (perfectly reasonably) criticising my original post I would say take a look at the electoral map of Scotland and tell me there is no correlation.

31 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'm not in any denial, and to yourself and the others (perfectly reasonably) criticising my original post I would say take a look at the electoral map of Scotland and tell me there is no correlation.

There is no correlation 

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I think that percentage can be reasonably explained by the number of English-born voters who are now in the Scottish electorate, with many in the older age demographic.

Whilst we're not producing too many Tories or royalists up here these days, there's been an ample supply of Terry and Junes moving northwards to get attractive housing bangs for their bucks.

Do you have any data to support that assertion?

48 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Screenshot_20240531_180200.jpg

2 hours ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Sadly I think you are in denial. Plenty of our own local tories. And plenty of the English born are absolutely not tories.

Where I live (prime shooting estate country) the majority who live here, are 1st/2nd generation English. They are defo Tory voters, confirmed by the local councillor being a Tory.

Also... most of the properties in the area are air b'n'b's owned by absent landlords from? Yup you've guessed it.

Scotland is slowly on the road to becoming a 2nd Wales.

1 hour ago, jakedee said:

Where I live (prime shooting estate country) the majority who live here, are 1st/2nd generation English. They are defo Tory voters, confirmed by the local councillor being a Tory.

Also... most of the properties in the area are air b'n'b's owned by absent landlords from? Yup you've guessed it.

Scotland is slowly on the road to becoming a 2nd Wales.

Some folk are in denial.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Since when did we need data to post opinions on here ?

Sorry, I thought you were offering it as a fact rather than an opinion.  My bad.

7 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

Of all the shite right wing phrases, "nanny state" is the shitest. By their own definition, the NHS is nanny state healthcare. Also the use of "authoritarian" as an epithet has been imported from US politics.

The Tories believed that telling people what to do during lockdown was "nanny state" and while they ultimately begrudgingly decided to do so, they had no intention of adhering to these nanny rules themselves.

Hence Partygate.

7 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Agreed. Most English-born folk I know here are pro-Indy. And blaming the olds is lazy, unevidenced, the sort of thing you get from people who use 'boomer' as if it means something.

And I speak as an Old who has never voted Tory and would never countenance doing so.

With the greatest respect to any older person who does have their head screwed on correctly, there is clear evidence that older folk as a group are to blame.

Obviously, the latest poll by Find Out Now will be rubbished by the Yoons because they don't like it, but here are the reported headline figures when tactical voting is taken into account:

Labour 476
Conservatives 66
Liberal Democrats 59
SNP 26
Plaid Cymru 3
Greens 2

With only 57 seats up for grabs in our "region" I can't see how this poll correlates with @Jedi2's prediction for a single-figure seat return for the SNP in Scotland.

Obviously, we have to wait for the full data tables, but I look forward to his crazy loonball reasons why this poll should be ignored by anyone that wants Conservative policies to be continued by Sir Keir in Scotland.

5 hours ago, AyrAtlanta said:

With the greatest respect to any older person who does have their head screwed on correctly, there is clear evidence that older folk as a group are to blame.

You're aware that numerically over-70s are a small segment and cannot be 'to blame' for anything? And are you happy to lump people, say, in my family, solid working-class people who would never vote Tory in their maddest nightmares (and there are thousands like that) with Tory shires retirees just because they're the same age?

2 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

You're aware that numerically over-70s are a small segment and cannot be 'to blame' for anything? And are you happy to lump people, say, in my family, solid working-class people who would never vote Tory in their maddest nightmares (and there are thousands like that) with Tory shires retirees just because they're the same age?

There's around 9m over 70s so quite a significant number that are going to vote Tory no matter how bad they f**k things up.

1 minute ago, eindhovendee said:

There's around 9m over 70s so quite a significant number that are going to vote Tory no matter how bad they f**k things up.

Just like the old b*****ds that voted for Brexit and have destroyed so many life's.

Paranoid racist old b*****ds voting on something that will affect generations to come and has little impact on them.

Most of them Tory scum also.

2 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

When it comes to voting in an election, that age group makes up a larger proportion of the turnout so they definitely do have an impact.

Yes I am happy to lump them in, as I am with my own working class older relatives, because politics and statistics rely on generalisations. Doesn’t mean I look at my own gran in disgust as I know which way she votes. Just means I recognise her generation is the problem.

49 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

When it comes to voting in an election, that age group makes up a larger proportion of the turnout so they definitely do have an impact.

Yes I am happy to lump them in, as I am with my own working class older relatives, because politics and statistics rely on generalisations. Doesn’t mean I look at my own gran in disgust as I know which way she votes. Just means I recognise her generation is the problem.

But the sad/worrying thing is that over several years older folk have been more likely to vote Tory.  This suggests as folk get older they become more right-wing.

Of course this is aggregated and there will be lots of folk who this does not apply to but it will be interesting to see if the trend continues.

Surely there will have been academic studies of this.

28 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

But the sad/worrying thing is that over several years older folk have been more likely to vote Tory.  This suggests as folk get older they become more right-wing.

Of course this is aggregated and there will be lots of folk who this does not apply to but it will be interesting to see if the trend continues.

Surely there will have been academic studies of this.

I’d like to believe it was mainly down to older folk’s susceptibility to being conned by biased media but I don’t know for sure.