Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

This has been the pattern for some time.

You'll also notice that in polls which have a poor headline figure for "Yes", suddenly Don't Knows are excluded to make it look a bit better.

Also, if the previous poll by that pollster was lower for Yes (or for No), then they claim momentum and restrict things to only that pollster.

If this isn't the case, they find a poll from a completely different pollster where Yes was lower and claim momentum.

Have noticed all of the above, also these posts will be dismissed for some reason or another, there is a pattern certainly

Also, amusingly, blogs like this (note the headline) http://www.arcofprosperity.org/yes-will-overtake-no-in-five-months-time/

were breathlessly repeated last year by the NCC. "Look at the momentum (they told us).... the graphs are due to converge in September 2013.

"The effect is that according to current trends, Yes will overtake No on the 1st of September 2013, and by the time of the referendum, there will be more than twice as many Yes voters as No voters. Obviously it’s very unlikely that the current trends will continue for the next 18 months, and of course opinion never shifts in such a neat, linear fashion. However, it does show that the Yes side is building up momentum, and that it is indeed possible, perhaps even likely, that Scotland will vote yes to independence"

independenceopinionpollstrendlines.png

Strangely, we haven't seen many updates from this joker in a while and the NCC seem to have dropped him like a hot potato.

Even better, the tit tried to claim victory after the SNP bught a poll.

http://www.arcofprosperity.org/victory-forecast/

However, Monday morning I woke up to this press release from the SNP:

The most recently sampled independence referendum opinion poll puts support for Yes a point ahead of No — at 44 per cent to 43 per cent, with Don’t Know at 13 per cent — as we enter the month of a year to go until next September’s vote.

It’s somewhat frustrating being off by a day, but I still think it was a pretty decent prediction.

Good news huh?

Oh...maybe not...

Still, if at first you don't succeed, discredit the polls yuo don't like the results of, alter the methodology and try again!

1) If we ignore the YouGov poll (there were multiple problems with it, as described here and here), and if we adjust the TNS poll to take the 2011 Holyrood votes in account (see this post by Calum Cashley), we’re still on track for a big Yes victory, although it probably won’t quite reach 2-to-1 territory.

2) I would have liked the polls to be converging at this point, but they clearly aren’t, so instead of producing a plot with new trend lines, I’ve added the newest polls to the old graph with the old trend lines. (I’ve added both the original and the adjusted versions of the TNS poll.)

It’s clear that the No vote share isn’t declining quite as fast as I predicted back in April, no matter which polls we look at. However, the Yes vote share is potentially rising faster than predicted (if we look only at the most optimistic polls).

Until we get to a point where the opinion polls start converging again, I think this is the best we can do.

Are any Yes voters discouraged - not to worry :lol:

It’s definitely looking like a decisive Yes victory, but perhaps not quite as big a landslide as I thought in April.

So, sadly, the landslide is off, but vistory is still going to be decisive

First Minister on the BBC this morning suggesting that Yes has 45% in the latest polls.

He didn't elaborate on where that assertion came from and Andrew Marr was too busy giving him an easy time of it to enquire further.

First Minister on the BBC this morning suggesting that Yes has 45% in the latest polls.

He didn't elaborate on where that assertion came from and Andrew Marr was too busy giving him an easy time of it to enquire further.

Think he may be referring to the poll in the Daily Record that had the Yes vote at 39%, No at 48% and the DKs 13%, but if you take out the DKs, it gives you Yes 45%, No 55%

Oh they exist OK but they don't have that option on the voting paper.

Until they decide on which of the two alternatives they want they don't count at this stage.

Why is that unreasonable?

Because it boosts the numbers for the Yes campaign?

Because, most of them will vote one way or the other.

It's better to interpolate them either 50-50 or in proportion to the original figures than to exclude them imo

Yeah, but it's always going to be an extremely close approximation. The poll that you were bemoaning it's use in only had a difference of 0.1% or so.

It seems like this is just something to moan about to get people to think that the other side is pulling a fast one while being able to claim what you're saying is technically true if it's pointed out.

Balls. And it's tack not tact.

You are right its "tack", excuse my bad grammar, oh and it is not "balls", just look at how the SNP are using the polls, enough said