Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

The Scottish people have nobody to blame but the Scottish National Party for Thatcher. Kind of ironic, isn't it? Or is it hypocritical? Ach, never mind. :)

And if the Callahan government had not betrayed the people of Scotland in the 79 referendum there would have been no withdrawal and no motion of no confidence. Anyway, the Callahan government were already over 4 years into their term so an election would have been called that same year anyway and if you think Labour would have won ANY subsequent election then you're an idiot.

Perhaps you should actually read up on the events for yourself rather than just unthinkingly parroting what you hear from other unionist non-thinkers.

The Scottish people have nobody to blame but the Scottish National Party for Thatcher. Kind of ironic, isn't it? Or is it hypocritical? Ach, never mind. :)

Yeah, I remember that. It's a fairly logical reason that those with more to lose are less likely to take a risk. I don't know why anyone would argue against that. It's obvious!, but it doesn't fit in with the Yes agenda so argue against it they will! lol.

Could you explain how you've come to that conclusion?..

The Business for Scotland website is a good place to start, totally pro-indy but, well researched & cited articles imo.

It's a shame that some people are voting for what they think will be better for their pockets rather than whats best for the country.

This is true. There was as a poll released a while back that convincingly showed yes voters were more likely to come from less affluent areas of the country, whereas no voters were more likely to come from the more affluent areas.

I'd be interested to see that. Not to pick holes, I genuinely believe it to be true.

My own experience is that my more politically aware friends and family are more likely to vote yes, regardless of wealth/ age etc.

I have a mortgage, pension, job, two kids, garage and two cars. I'm absolutely voting yes.

It's a shame that some people are voting for what they think will be better for their pockets rather than whats best for the country.

I think so too but I suppose it's understandable and their democratic right. I'd much rather we stood on our own feet in the world, we are a nation after all. Sure we will enter into other unions and alliances ( NATO, EU, possibly even some agreements with rUK or other nations) but we would do so on our terms and not as some under-represented region.

I think the affluence point is absolutely true, by and large. Those with the most to loose are going to turn to self interest and minimise risk. Those doing well atm will say "why bother, I'm doing fine as it is and independence might leave me worse off" others will say "what have we got to loose, things are pretty shit for me now and independence might give me better opportunities". I also suspect less affluent people or young idealists are more concerned with things like aspiring to achieve a better society and see independent as a possible step closer to the ideal. Your average middle class 55 year old almost certainly cares less about building better society.

And also what's best for their pockets rather than what's best for their fellow people who aren't as well off as they are.

The analogy I'd make would be you make 50k a year, vote no and it will go up to 51k a year. Meanwhile everyone else in your street is on 10k a year and it will go down to 9k a year. But if you vote yes you will make only 49k a year whilst everyone else on your street would make 11k a year. That extra money flows through the economy, makes things a bit better all round, and there's a more coherent society. So you're a bit less likely to get your nice house robbed cause poor people haven't got enough food for their family in that scenario.

And I would be fine with voting no if there was any sign at all that the second scenario was going to play out in the UK. But it has only been going in one direction during my 40 years of life and it isn't going to happen. So we have to change it.

I love that clip of those Hùns especially the rather Shane McGowan looking one circling his head in agreement about going to Wales and Rule Britania whilst wearing what looks like a Diego Maradona t-shirt.

Not really a good night for the SNP - same polling as last election but 7% down on what they were polling for this election.

Makes you wonder... What if the polls are recording the No vote as 7% too high... Or even if there is up to a 7% margin of error.

Not really a good night for the SNP - same polling as last election but 7% down on what they were polling for this election.

All that proves it that opinion polls are completely useless (as if the 2011 election had not already taught us that).

It looks like the SNP did not benefit from the protest vote as much as 2012 because UKIP took some of that vote.

When did the SNP become a protest vote?

That's some going from the SNP. A protest vote for seven years apparently. A protest vote even when they were technically in government prior to 2011. Obviously people fancied protesting some more, against an opposition party.

Aye makes perfect sense. f**k off.

When did the SNP become a protest vote?

SNP are always a haven for "hacked off Tories", who could not bring themselves to vote either Lib-Dem or Labour

Edited by ecto

I voted SNP yesterday.

What relevance does the European Elections have to the referendum? Aren't we repeatedly told that it's separate from party politics?