Latest Polls and Latest Odds

Lex

I had to organise back-to-back funerals because my mum was in no fit state to do it. Gran was buried on the Friday - Grandad died on the Sunday, 2 days later. It was the week of the European elections - first time I've never voted.

Sorry to hear about that pal. That must have been hard.

I had to organise back-to-back funerals because my mum was in no fit state to do it. Gran was buried on the Friday - Grandad died on the Sunday, 2 days later. It was the week of the European elections - first time I've never voted.

That is absolutely horrendous. I'm really sorry to hear that.

I don't have a problem with 16 year olds having a vote. Age is not a perfect barometer on suitability to vote. Some of the younger people are better informed than those from other age groups.

In fact, instead of cutting the eligibility off by age, I think everyone should have to fill out a quick aptitude test on politics or the referendum and you are only allowed to vote if you pass.

I don't have a problem with 16 year olds having a vote. Age is not a perfect barometer on suitability to vote. Some of the younger people are better informed than those from other age groups.

In fact, instead of cutting the eligibility off by age, I think everyone should have to fill out a quick aptitude test on politics or the referendum and you are only allowed to vote if you pass.

We could ask "Is Scotland a net contributor to the up treasury?" "Will Scotland keep the pound?" "Will Scotland be in the EU?" "Do you support Rangers?" Answer yes to the first 3 and no to the latter and you're good to go.

Kevin Bridges was perfectly correct that half the country could pass their higher Modern Studies after the referendum. An awful lot of people who previously had no knowledge of politics beyond hereditary tribal allegiances have gotten themselves greatly clued up on it.

I don't have the slightest idea what 16-year-olds are thinking, but I've no reason to believe they're fundamentally less well educated on the matters at hand than any other random segment of the population.

We could ask "Is Scotland a net contributor to the up treasury?" "Will Scotland keep the pound?" "Will Scotland be in the EU?" "Do you support Rangers?" Answer yes to the first 3 and no to the latter and you're good to go.

Only q 1 is factual.

Answering Yes to two and three should disbar you from voting.

I THINK you've been whooshed on BOTH counts.

:P Deary me. I expected Lex/TopCat to fall for it because he's an idiot. You though? Frankly I'm disappointed.

Token moron claiming he was trying to woosh people when his ridiculous comment was rightly ridiculed.

What a moron :lol:

I THINK you've been whooshed on BOTH counts.

:P Deary me. I expected Lex/TopCat to fall for it because he's an idiot. You though? Frankly I'm disappointed.

The moron thought he was being funny. I don't find the death of grandparents a remotely funny matter at all.

:angry:

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Kevin Bridges was perfectly correct that half the country could pass their higher Modern Studies after the referendum. An awful lot of people who previously had no knowledge of politics beyond hereditary tribal allegiances have gotten themselves greatly clued up on it.

I don't have the slightest idea what 16-year-olds are thinking, but I've no reason to believe they're fundamentally less well educated on the matters at hand than any other random segment of the population.

Kevin Bridges. Ricky Ross.....ohh what find minds we have the "privilege" of benefiting from :rolleyes: Oh that some kids getting interested in politics. So when we're going through the inevitable economic depression that'll come that'll be of solace to us then?

Yet you ignore economists who have given warnings based on facts

And listen to other economists who give comfort based on facts.

There won't be an economic depression: apparently human organs sell for a fortune on the black market, and we'll have just shy of 50% of the electorate to harvest from. I'd be asking my parents to invest in a cabin in the hills right now if I were you Seamus.

Kevin Bridges. Ricky Ross.....ohh what find minds we have the "privilege" of benefiting from :rolleyes: Oh that some kids getting interested in politics. So when we're going through the inevitable economic depression that'll come that'll be of solace to us then?

Yet you ignore economists who have given warnings based on self interest.

FTFY

The same group of people who either were too inept to see the world's worst global recession or, in many cases, too corrupt to blow the whistle and instead lined their trousers and got in the only lifeboat whilst the ship went down. These are definitely the kind of people we want to be listening to. Aye right!

Was looking at polls for devolved gov in 1997.. 3 polls on wk of vote gave yes at c.63%.. result on day 74%!!. Also the tax varying powers bit, in the 40s in polls.. result early 60s....

Encouraging, although the Govt were supporting devolution/tax raising powers, and there was no anti media onslaught against..

The same group of people who either were too inept to see the world's worst global recession or, in many cases, too corrupt to blow the whistle and instead lined their trousers and got in the only lifeboat whilst the ship went down. These are definitely the kind of people we want to be listening to. Aye right!

Which, ironically, was one of the main causes of the Great Depression.

Really? Sub Prime mortgage lending companies knew of the NINJA issues in the US in 2007 and began to tighten lending criteria as far as they could. Greedy politicians were to blame and I think you'll find that the economists did know. They couldn't stop it. In the same way the only support for Salmond's models have come from a fund manager in Aberdeen. The models are predictive and don't factor in the turmoil that Scotland would go through in the "negotiations period".

However that's not my point. My point is how well do you think an isolated Scotland will get through this? If there's economic strife and there's no support. Salmond has talked about walking away from debts and ignoring responsibilities.

How well do you think negotiations are going to go for an imbecile who has sought to isolate? I'll say it again....think it through

Edited by Banterous