SHOW US YOUR DOGS!

Lofarl

On 05/07/2024 at 11:31, Rizzo said:

Find ourselves back in the position of being on borrowed time with one of the dugs.

Skye's been slowing down over the past year or so (not entirely surprising, given she's now 14.5yo). Noticed she was struggling with stiffness in her back legs over the past couple of months. Went to the vet who reckoned it was probably arthritis given her age so started treatment for that. Didn't really see as much progress as we'd hoped, and last night she was suddenly quite unsteady on her back end so headed back to the vet.

Awaiting blood tests and urine results today but looking like she has dementia. No cure for that although seems a bit more settled and steady today. Found her on our bed yesterday and I have no clue how she is still getting up there.

20240704_122152.jpg

How is skye with getting lifted etc? Cause you can get a harness type thing that goes under them and when you walk you can essentially take a lot of the weight off their back legs, might help keep her active a wee bit more and her mind active

We tried that with finn in his final few months but he absolutely hated being lifted underneath by anything so refused point blank it lol, ive seen other older dogs with it though

On 06/07/2024 at 15:45, Rizzo said:

Is it just the one leg Shug has trouble with? Hopefully the vets can suggest something for him. Skye has another appointment on Tueaday as well.

Best option is libiuirm I think which doesn't impact kidneys and liver. Will see if insurance will cover it

1 hour ago, 54_and_counting said:

How is skye with getting lifted etc? Cause you can get a harness type thing that goes under them and when you walk you can essentially take a lot of the weight off their back legs, might help keep her active a wee bit more and her mind active

We tried that with finn in his final few months but he absolutely hated being lifted underneath by anything so refused point blank it lol, ive seen other older dogs with it though

At the moment she can still actually walk ok, just struggling on slippy floors or uneven ground. We've been carrying her up and down the stairs in the house.

We'll see how we go, she got a new drug to try today that's supposed to increase blood flow to the brain. At the end of the day she's a good age so health issues aren't entirely unexpected. She doesn't seem to be in pain or distress or anything and the vet is quite happy that she's better this week than when he last saw her. 

43 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Best option is libiuirm I think which doesn't impact kidneys and liver. Will see if insurance will cover it

Maybe the dugs and Shugs of P&B can start their own Librela club. Hopefully it helps!

11 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Maybe the dugs and Shugs of P&B can start their own Librela club. Hopefully it helps!

Bunch of junkies!

Funny you say that as I think Shugs right leg is even worse than before. Almost bending like the prosthetic blades runners use.

Sadie's come into season so she's in lockdown as knowing her she'd look for a great Dane to shag.

19 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Funny you say that as I think Shugs right leg is even worse than before. Almost bending like the prosthetic blades runners use.

Sadie's come into season so she's in lockdown as knowing her she'd look for a great Dane to shag.

I've been doing a bit of snooping on social media re librela and hind leg weakness seems to be a symptom to watch for. 

Hopefully Sadie's season comes and goes without incident. One was enough for Millie. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

I've been doing a bit of snooping on social media re librela and hind leg weakness seems to be a symptom to watch for. 

Hopefully Sadie's season comes and goes without incident. One was enough for Millie. :lol:

She's only going to be £300 to spay so three months after this she'll be sparked out getting fixed. She's even more barky. Wasn't sure if it would bother Shug as he only got baws off when he came to us.

So far he's been fine.

There's a dog treat shop in Portobello high street, and while driving past it today,  I saw a guy walking past with a labrador, the dug decided it wanted to venture in, nearly pulling the guy off his feet 😂😂

13 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

I am not a dog owner but is barking like f**k for no apparent reason normal dog behaviour or is this one faulty?

Some are louder than others. Daschunds for example 😭